Mobile tech

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaela19

Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone do mobile nails, if they do how hard was it starting out and finding new clients cos i want to start going mobile in the night time after work.

Hi,

In four months i have managed to find one client i posted leaflets put ads in local free papers I've found it soooooo hard I've put ads in shop windows I've done everything i could think of and still only one client i think it takes a while to build up a client base because it's mostly by word of mouth.

I was told by a few people that people like to go to the salon because it's a hour or two out of the house away from the kids etc!

I am seriously considering working in a salon.

I found mobile work very popular - still get calls for it now and I work in a salon. To start with I advertised in local paper EVERY week, but switched to yellow pages when the new one for the area came out. There are quite a few previous threads about the pros and cons of mobile work, obviously personal safety is paramount. I put adverts in all the local newsagents, take aways etc - everywhere you looked my name was there! Whenyou advertise make sure you get a catch phrase or a USP (unique selling point) so people can see why you are better than the competition ie qualified, insured, professional, mobile, reliable,friendly ... type of thing. good luck and enjoy!

Of all the advertising I've done I've found freebie papers get the least response. My advertising used to read "Smart Nails, mobile nail technician, Why pay high street prices?" Didn't over cut my prices but made myself a little bit cheaper, and did the trick - in fact I've seen a few people copy it since. Personally I love being pampered in a salon, but so many people prefer the convenience of mobile techs.

check it out .
I love working for the mobile unit ,Its great :)
Linda

www.nailtrips.com

COOKIEMOM said:
check it out .
Linda

www.nailtrips.com
Linda, that is amazing....looks great inside! What a brilliant concept...

read a great idea in one of the previous threads on here...hand out little cards to your client with their name on the back, for each one you get back from a new customer they get a discount, say 10% off their next service. Sounds like a winner to me! they will be eager to hand out your cards to their friends if it means they save too.

Hi, I am mobile too and it is hard graft like anything to get started...it will happen though I get a lot of one offs for the special occassions bookings ie weddings,christening ...but I have found leafleting to be the most successful way of advertising to date, but know I am putting an advert in the yellow pages to see how this works for me.

I have found some clients have received a leaflet but not called untill 6 weeks later! So don't dispare it will happen and once you have a few regular clients the word will spread, which is the best form of advertising in the world.

All the best, and dont give up...

and remember mobile gives you the freedom, a rent free working environment, you using their electricity/water...thats all I can think of now lol need some caffine to get brain cells working

Hi i am a mobile car valeter, i can get you as many customers as you like by advertising the way i do, it does cost but very cheap and a potential 5000 customers its how i get 90% of my business you can call me on 07813836747 ask for steve, it will be me anyway.

steve

I tried the mail drop thing and NOTHING. I tried adverts ect nothing. Some bright spark on here to whom I will be eternally grateful, told me to do the craft fairs and xmas fairs and summer fairs EVERYTHING doing shape and polish, 10min mani, basic nail art and make sure everyone takes a leaflet. I am snowed under. It took all of about 4 weeks!
If you raise your public profile and more of the local community see you and see you working and most importantly, that you are professional, they will have confidence in coming to you and not a salon. Remember, to the majority of the public, salon equals better. Obviously thats NOT always the case so being 'out there' and being seen is the best advertising.

tamimac said:
I tried the mail drop thing and NOTHING. I tried adverts ect nothing. Some bright spark on here to whom I will be eternally grateful, told me to do the craft fairs and xmas fairs and summer fairs EVERYTHING doing shape and polish, 10min mani, basic nail art and make sure everyone takes a leaflet. I am snowed under. It took all of about 4 weeks!
If you raise your public profile and more of the local community see you and see you working and most importantly, that you are professional, they will have confidence in coming to you and not a salon. Remember, to the majority of the public, salon equals better. Obviously thats NOT always the case so being 'out there' and being seen is the best advertising.

When you did craft fairs etc did you have to pay for a stand or table??? I had thought of that but hubby seemed to think that it would not be cost effective. I even thought of wedding fairs but again what would they charge me for a pitch etc??

The mobile home converted to a nail salon is a good idea and it looks great and one I did toy with before finally deciding to set up a salon at home.:biggrin:

Marilyn said:
When you did craft fairs etc did you have to pay for a stand or table??? I had thought of that but hubby seemed to think that it would not be cost effective. I even thought of wedding fairs but again what would they charge me for a pitch etc??

The mobile home converted to a nail salon is a good idea and it looks great and one I did toy with before finally deciding to set up a salon at home.:biggrin:
I refuse to pay more than £10 a table and a raffle prize (funnily enough they get a mani...which usually leads to a repeat booking) I have made £150 in 6hours, I have made as little as £13 for 2hours. But, the advertising power of these things is phenominal, and I always always get bookings, even if its just a kiddies party. but then you get to chat to the mums... and one kids party always leads to more. Everyso often you will make a loss, but its rare. I do also take along some retail stuff, But to be honest it hardly shifts. And anyway two fairs a month at £10 each, I dont think £20 is a lot to pay for the advertising and business it brings in.
Remember tho, It only works well if youre smart looking- Jeans and t-shirt probably wont cut it, and your table is as professionally set up for business as you would for normal clients. People are always drawn to a colourful display of polishes ect.
and personality plays an important part. You do kind of have to 'sparkle' to get enthusiasm from others...
Sometimes its worth giving away a freebie polish to another stallholder. As soon as you have someone sat in the chair people tend to gather round and watch and then they're hooked.

COOKIEMOM said:
check it out .
Linda

[URL="http://www.nailtrips.com"]www.nailtrips.com[/URL]

This is a fantastic idea, but unfortunately with the small and narrow roads in the UK and a lot of people not having a drive, you would end up parking in the road etc etc, this wouldn't work so well in the UK.

Would have been nice if you could though .....:sad:

I am mobile and have been for a while - it is a long and slow and sometime frustrating especially when you start out. You also learn from your mistakes - my first leaflet was amateurish and did not get the right repsonse - I have now completely re done my leaflet and I do my firneds nail for a knockdown price - she shows off her nails to anyone to try and get me more business - she also dooes Usbourne books so puts my leaflets in with her book orders as well.

after Christmas I am going to go all out and do what I can and deliver as many leaflets and advertise in shops and so on and see what will work for me. it is trial and error most of the time - once you get a few clients in, you can spread the word through your work!

Latest posts

Back