Mobile Technician..phew it can be tough

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
Recently my working conditions doing mobile seem to be deteriorating :( Turning up to find no suitable work space, or little kiddies being inquisitive trying to rummage through my cases :!: or trying to touch mummies nails just as the silk has been applied. Does anybody else have such frustrations :?: or other problems in the world of mobile :rolleyes:
Love to hear your trials and tribulations

Hi Louise

I'm afraid we all have to put up with this type of thing once in a while, as long as it doesn't become more often than that! D

I went to a client just before christmas, and got caught in a traffic jam, luckily I had my phone and could call her to say i would be late! A 20 minute journey took 1 hour due to an accident. When i arrived the client said i'm just popping out to get you some money from the bank. shock I take my own table, which makes life easier, and was setting up, when their dalmation ran underneath my table sending everything flying, their 2 year helped herself to everything out of my box, and all the while their 9 week old was screaming as she was teething! Not once did she think to lock her dog in another room! Trouble is what should've been just over 2 hours including travelling, turned into 3 1/2 hours! Extra unpaid time, humph!

Still it makes for an interesting life ay?

best wishes
Sue x

yep...know the feeling....!
I've had the children poking around in my cases, the lady who despite being told in no uncertain terms not to smoke whilst doing their nails proceeding to smoke about 5 cigarettes, i've even had one lady try to eat pizza whilst doing her nails! Despite being very diplomatic and assertive, they seem to think that as they are having their nails done in their own home, they can do what they want! I am seriously considering having a conservatory built so i can work from home. I've also had ladies trying to put their children to bed etc whilst doing their nails, so when i should have been in and out in an hour and a half, have ended up being 2 and a half hours!!!! It is so frustrating. I find i have to be VERY tough sometimes as my time is money and if their nails all drop off because they have been smoking, eating etc then it won't be my fault!!
But i see the drawbacks from working from home as 1) the smell and 2) people coming into my home as i wouldn't have a seperate access.

Thanks for your thoughts...its nice to know I am not alone in the battle that can be mobile :? I love being able to offer the service especially to those that can't get out because of kids/work commitments etc..But like you mentioned what do you do when a nail pings due to 'Pizza or chip grease'. Last week I had to tell a client politely but firmly to not touch the silk wrap before I applied the bond (only ten times) :evil: even when I explain the bond will not be as strong and it will not last they seem to carry on regardless :!:

If I only had a crystal ball I wonder if sometimes I would refuse a booking for the stress and loss of earnings it will cause.

This year I am going to start offering the service from my home as well to ease the pain :!: Untill then I battle on

I have just started out as a part time mobile nail tech, and still in the process of "gathering clients"!! One in particular I went to last week insisted on keep answering her mobile phone, and when the plumber turned up to fix her central heating boiler she disappeared for about half an hour!! Still I suppose that's mild compared to what some of you had had to put up with. I haven't as yet come across the brats or dogs from hell!! :p

The next time when they call to book an appontment tell them that somebody has to mind the kids and dog that they can't smoke, answer the phone or eat while having the appliation and if they are not happy remind them that you cant smoke, answer the phone or eat, bring kids or a dog to a salon plus you are cheaper than the salon and can be there when wanted. They will see your point of view and be happy to play along knowing how much they save. I am a mobile techi for nearly five years and it works for me!!! :lol:

Hi, this post has tickled me silly, but then i have a weird sense of humour. I am not mobile but have a little table and my bits and bobs set up in the dinning area of our kitchen, its all quite good realy, however I can still relate to your comments as I also have the same difficulties mind you not on the scale that you all do.

My mother in law always wants to stop half way through to smoke through a packet of fags, drives me hoppin mad, especially as I gave up 8 months ago :evil:. she also on occasion brings her grandaughter, whom is just 4 and yes she always likes to play with the nail art display, nine times out of ten its across the floor, so I end up scrapping about looking for all my master pieces when they go. If it is not this then she is constantly complaining its taking too long and wanting to get up and down on nannys lap :confused: ahhhhhhh. Oh and the touching the nail business oh yes time and time again I say DO NOT TOUCH but they just can not resist can they.......... nightmare.
Small people who'd av em?

Most occasions I also have to do nail art on little ladys tiny weenie nails in order to keep the yelling and screaching tantrums to a bare min, if I say no all hell lets loose.

I am very fortunate other than this really as my other clients all though I dont have many are very lovely and I have no problems, but then i do make it clear NO PETS, NO KIDS AND NO FOOD. well other than with inlaws etc what can you do its hard.

We have to put up with lots hey just have to take a chill pill, lol.

Grace x

This post made me laugh. I gave up doing mobile (apart from wedding parties) after visiting the house from hell. I had two clients at the same house (a mum and daughter).

The smell in the house was so bad that I had tears running down my face trying to stop myself being sick :cry: I cannot begin to explain how filthy the house was.

The older client insisted that she had to sit in an armchair. She gave me a small fold up stool and put a coffee table in between us. My back ached for two days afterwards.

The dog resembled a horse and was very unfriendly and exceptionally smelly. The lovely three year old would not leave my box alone and decided to do a pooh in her potty right next to me :cry: Now I'm a mum of three, so I'm not squemish about this sort of thing, but I didn't want to sit next to it for an hour - neither of the clients thought it necessary to clear it away. Mind you, it did mask the smell of the dog a little.

Guess my answer to "Would you like a cup of coffee?" So I was thirsty aswell!!!!

I got home and I could still smell the house on me :cry: I immediately threw everything in the washing machine (bra and knickers included), had a bath and washed my hair. - Never again!!!!

Both the clients now come to my salon (I told them I no longer do home visits). I have to make sure I leave half an hour between their appointments and the next client so I can fumigate the salon. YUK, YUK, YUK

Ooh Glynis

how awful, i was going to have a moan about a new client sitting eating a bacon sandwich, butter melting down her hand, but nothing compares with the delightful family you had to put up with!

i know what you all mean, i have been going mobile for nearly 18 months now, and i thought it was tough, never had i imagined some of the stories you guys tell, the one thing that gets to me every time is the husband or dad that walks into the room and does a dramatic 'PPHHHOOOORRRR!! that stuff stinks.' :( Now, the first time they say it, you feel you can just smile it off and say 'yes, it does have a noticable smell doesn't it!' but when you have been going to the house every 2 weeks for 12 months and they say the same thing every time, it starts to get on your nerves a bit!!!

i feel for you girls, not experienced anything quite as bad but i sure i will.....

LOL beck.

Well I dont know we all have some right old stories at least we can laugh, or we'd probably all go mad.

Must admit this weekend really thought about dumping it all, can't afford a professional mobile table (or find a cheap temp option) lamp I bought is just pants, and I really really need a daylight lamp, but no spare cash right now....and I walked around all day Sunday delivering leafelts in the freezing cold,...had one bloke run after me to assure me this was not his kind of thing!!! then oh yes the big dog let loose - that was not quite so funny well at the time anyway. Then there was they guy how was interested but I am convince he thought I offered more services :rolleyes: creepy sod..

But I wont give in I will keep on one day people will be queing for me to do their nails and mobile will be a distant memory...

My best tale so far was going to a ladies flat (which was on the 8th floor) to find that she had no table of any description. Well, I managed to improvise by getting her to sit on the edge of the bath , I sat on the loo (toilet seat down!!) and her 6 month old baby girls high chair as my working table !! Unfortunately no light socket in the loo so we had to make do with a very dim light that was on the ceiling. Boy was I glad to escape from there. My eyes were killing me, not to mention the numb bum !!! ;)

Fab Freak said:
Well I dont know we all have some right old stories at least we can laugh, or we'd probably all go mad.

Must admit this weekend really thought about dumping it all, can't afford a professional mobile table (or find a cheap temp option) lamp I bought is just pants, and I really really need a daylight lamp, but no spare cash right now....and I walked around all day Sunday delivering leafelts in the freezing cold,...had one bloke run after me to assure me this was not his kind of thing!!! then oh yes the big dog let loose - that was not quite so funny well at the time anyway. Then there was they guy how was interested but I am convince he thought I offered more services :rolleyes: creepy sod..

But I wont give in I will keep on one day people will be queing for me to do their nails and mobile will be a distant memory...

Don't give up, things can only get better. Keep an eye on ebay for second hand mobile tables, they often come up and go for about £40-50

Well just when things were getting better - got a new client last week for extensions and she wanted acrylic - so did a set of pink & whites with my OPI Comp 3000 - smile lines were good considering I had a plaster cast on my left arm....anyway after applied them got 2 calls saying I had been recommend by this new client - yipee - one lady asked for avaiable dates so she could organise a sitter and said she'd call me back to book one of the dates I had give - however on Monday the lady how I had seen called me to say she needed to cancel here appointment as she had bitten them off arrhhh - I explained so much how important it was not to do this and if she didnt get on with them - they must be soaked off professionally!! anyway she changed her appointment to a manicure which was pleasing and not a complete loss - but the two friends who made enquiries I have not heard from since, and I'm convinced it because they might be thinking the nails I put of fell off - when they didnt they were bitten...I was soo thrilled at the tought of 3 new customers, just seems more set backs then steps forward...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back