Mobile technician - seeing a client who is a patient in a hospital

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailtechJoe

IN:@thenailmaestro
Reaction score
Hi fellow geeks,

It's the first time I have been asked to see a client who is a patient at the local infirmary. I don't know yet why the client is in hospital but has asked me to do a manicure and pedicure. Normally I see clients in a home setting who are conscious, intelligible and able to provide the furniture (i.e. a table and 2 chairs). Otherwise, I ask them to visit my home where I have a fully equipped room.

My Concerns and Question:

My main concern is usually my safety and client safety and having worked before in a health related setting, since there is the existence of superbugs (e.g. MRSA) in hospital areas, is it wise to do the treatments within a ward? Very rarely have I made nicks or injured someone unless they move about (e.g. withdrawal for a ciggy) but what I have been taught is that prevention is better than the cure.

"People staying in hospital are most at risk of becoming infected with MRSA because:

• they're surrounded by a large number of people, which means the bacteria can spread more easily
  • they often have an entry point for the bacteria to get into their body, such as a surgical wound or urinary catheter
  • they may have serious or complex health problems, which makes them more vulnerable to infection"
Source: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/mrsa/Pages/Introduction.aspx

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Joe

Last edited:
I think you should first of all check if you are ensured to do that. Then you probably need permission from hospital and your client gp or leading doctor. I mean if someone is staying in hospital there is high chance for a contraindication.

I think you should first of all check if you are ensured to do that. Then you probably need permission from hospital and your client gp or leading doctor.

I did, it says mobile work so it is a broad statement. I thought if I asked for permission, would I need a written letter of consent for carrying out the treatment or would a verbal permission suffice? If I'd need to go through a bureaucratic loop, then it's not for me. It was to work within a ward so the setup would be less than ideal for me.

I mean if someone is staying in hospital there is high chance for a contraindication.

That was the nail in the coffin (pun intended) and why I refused in the end to carry out the treatments.

In the local news not long ago, there was also an outbreak of the winter bug.

http://www.thelancasterandmorecambe...ing_bug_norovirus_in_Lancashire/?ref=mr&lp=11

It sounds like more hassle than it is worth if you are not comfortable doing it.

I've just done one of my regular clients in hospital the sister told me to come n do them for her as she has been a long timer in hospital this year but they were all fine with it in fact some of the nurses were asking for my business card

I think you did a right thing by refusing. You health is more important than client. If you are concerned with some bug then I wouldn't risk it. Likelihood of catching something in hospital is high.

Technically I would ask for written consent from her doctor and then I would ask hospital casually If you can preform the treatment, then mention having green light from gp and ask when would be the most appropriate time as you wouldn't like to disturp anything. First of all she may be in the same room with someone else and that person might not be happy with it. Additionally you don't won't to come when they give out food, medicines etc.

Seems like a lot of hassle to me. I would do this for a regular depending on part of the hospital. If it was my loyal customer and she would have to stay in because of high risk pregnancy or something completely unrelated to infections then why not.

Latest posts

Back