Mobile Therapist - products?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virgobeauty

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been freelance since Nov but I'm at a point now where I need to make a choice on facial/massage product. I have worked with Elemis in spa's for years but obviously they do not supply to mobile.
Dermalogica are happy to supply but prob start up very pricey?

I want a professional product but I only work pt time round kids so not sure about initial outlay, having said that Dermalogica do alot of training which I think is important now i'm on my own - and in the future I'd like to rent a room when wee ones are at school!

Any ideas? sorry for rambling!:eek:

They are expensive I'm afraid... around £3,000 if I'm correct, which is a lot of money for anyone! But I'm a big believer in the age old adage you get what you pay for :)

Now... this is just my opinion;

You can buy cleansers, toners, masks, moisturisors etc from every wholesaler, every beauty catalogue. With Dermalogica you've got a product which is going to give you excellent results, not going to bring your clients out in spots and rashes like some cheap products do, and a brand that your clients recognise. You may well even get clients coming to you because you do Dermalogica.

I too am Elemis trained and work with it in a day spa, I am Dermalogica trained and I am also a mobile therpaist. Even mobile, I would never use any products that I wouldn't use in a salon or be proud to promote and be associated with just because you're mobile. That's why I don't offer facials at the moment. I don't have the money just yet to invest in a proper skin care system [when I do, I'm hoping to go with Karin Herzog] and I refuse to buy and use generic brands full of mineral oil, silicones and perfume.

Do a search on Dermalogica on here... I'm sure I read a thread once from a girl who had got a really good deal from them on her opening order.... about £1500 I think.

I also used to use Academie, some of their products were nice [some contain a lot of mineral oil and started to bring my clients out in spots, but those that didn't were very nice] Their opening order is about £700 I think.

Of course, your choice of products should reflect in your prices, I'm not suggesting you do Dermalogica, or whatever brands facials, for a pittance. Your choice of products should reflect your clientele and existing pricing structure. And this is just my opinion... I'm very pasionate about skincare!

Why don't you hold off until the show, and go around and get lots of information and samples from the different brands? The reps don't like telling you how much the opening order is, but they know! Press them on it... if it's too much for you, then move on. I'm sure you'll find a brand that's good for you xxx Sorry if I ranted... I didn't mean to. It's just my bugbear! Good luck xxx​

I was under the impression that Dermalogica will not give accounts to mobile therapists. I'm mobile and now use Eve Taylor for all my facials - lovey stuff and very reasonable start-up costs too.

Thank you Judy - The opening order is more than I thought and at the moment that'll be impossible not to mention it'd take a very long time to make that back. It is so hard isn't as if you've only trained and been used to professional products you don't want to come down to the real cheap stuff so I can understand you not doing facials at the moment.

My facials are not expensive compared to other freelance and that would also be a difficult decision, I wouldn't want to put the prices up so high because I'm using Dermalogica and then lose all my clientele (mostly mums like me)!

I'm taking your advice and wait til the show - then make a decision! Thanks so much for your input!

I would say wait until one of the beauty shows as there will be loads of skincare companies to choose from and you'll probably some great deals too!

you may get to try products and obtain samples

there is professional beauty @excel in March and olympia beauty @earls court in May

Last edited:
Unless Demalogica have recently changed there criteria they don't supply to mobile therapists (maybe a dermalogica account holder can confirm this)

I think it is important to get a decent range even when mobile as it can put clients off if you are using cheap poor quality products but the problem is most of the big names won't supply or cost a bomb due to all the retail included which imo is not necessary when mobile as you can't take it all with you anyway.

Sothys & Thalgo supply mobile therapists, Sothys was around £1000 start up when I looked into it about a year ago and I think this is very reasonable.

I currently use academie in the salon and it is a lovely range but very big, so if I was going to use it mobile I would probably have just the essential oil facial and one of the anti-ageing ones otherwise you'd need a transit van to get all the products there ! When Hyperion distributed it the min order was about £700 as mentioned above but I should think the new company will be a bit more flexible as they must of lost quite a few clients when they changed over. If you were to just take on the essential oil facial I think it would be around £300 and you could build it up by taking the ones on as & when.

I thought as well Dermalogica wouldnt supply to mobie therapist

I am a mobile therapist and work around my hubbys hours as we have a little girl.Ive just ordered Eve Taylor products for my facial range and i must say i am very impressed.They do a mobile therapists kit for £76 + Vat,which gives you a good starter kit and them you can order as and when you want with no minimum order cost.I too worked in salons and spas for 14 years before going mobile,and have worked with Elemis and E'spa products in the past.Eve Taylor is very comparable to E'spa in my opinion.The website is www.evetaylor.com HTH

I am a mobile therapist and work around my hubbys hours as we have a little girl.Ive just ordered Eve Taylor products for my facial range and i must say i am very impressed.They do a mobile therapists kit for £76 + Vat,which gives you a good starter kit and them you can order as and when you want with no minimum order cost.I too worked in salons and spas for 14 years before going mobile,and have worked with Elemis and E'spa products in the past.Eve Taylor is very comparable to E'spa in my opinion.The website is www.evetaylor.com HTH

I too use eve taylor and my clients and myself are very happy with it.
Just because you are unable to purchase thousands of pounds worth of product shouldnt stop you from doing facials.
You can still offer a relaxing,beneficial,effective service with a cheaper brand.
My attitude is stuff the companies that will not help mobile therapists use and stock their products. A lot of them sell in department stores,on tv or on the net anyway, so are hardly exclusive, you may well find this is how your clients will buy their products and not necessarily from you.
I would sooner have a lovely caring facial with a good cheaper product than a mediocre facial with very expensive products.

Well, I recently contacted Dermalogica to enquire about becoming an account with them. I was clear that I was a mobile therapist and they didn't say they wouldn't supply me, they sent me all the gumph and I got a follow up call from their rep too. Maybe they've changed their criteria... or I slipped through the net!!? Maybe it's because I've been a Dermalogica account holder before?

It stupid isn't it that a therapist with 15 years experience in the industry and has done loads of courses at the IDI couldn't stock their product, but anyone could as long as they were in a salon!!!?? I might phone the rep back to ask her.... I'll let you know what she says!

P.S. The Academie Essential Facial is lovely! Very relaxing and good results too! 100% Hydraderm was the most popular range in my salon and is suitable for all skin types and smells of apples! They're bound to be at the show and aren't shy of giving out samples! :wink2:

I had my level 3 Dermalogica training last week and their rep confirmed that they have changed their policy regarding supplying mobile therapists.

I don't know the ins and outs of it but thats what she said!

hth

I don't use Dermalogica but that is great news for those that want to. It made no sense that a Mobile Therapist should be treated any different than one with a permanent residence!

I've just been going through this too.

I had the acadamie rep come to see me and for the essential oil facial start up was only about £170 because February everything is half price!!!

The place I have started to rent from has got a huge range of Matis that they want to sell as a bulk buy if you are interested.

I'm waiting on samples from Eve Taylor.

Yes with regards to dermalogica supplying to mobile - I also said I was mobile and that I can if needed use a room at home.

I've actually since my last post been offered a treatment room so I could technically go with them but at the moment it's still too pricey I think unless I get a really good deal.

I do have an account with Eve Taylor and the great thing about them is there is no min order!

Ideally Io want a product that is professional and that you can train with the company........:lol:

hi guys,
I think I might be a little bit thick but I can't find the academie website anywhere! has anyone got the address by any chance?! thanks x

Latest posts

Back