Mobile to home salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francesXXX

Reaction score
I have been hairdressing for 17 years (age 34), have been mobile for the last 9 and have been happy with that lifestyle, however I’m starting to get very tired of the travelling around. I am lucky that I’m busy, but people always try to convince me to travel quite far out of my area and when I get word of mouth recommendations (which is what you rely on a lot as a mobile), they’re not always in my area. I live in south London so traffic can be a nightmare, it’s getting worse over the years. And I have trouble when my clients move (sometimes to other parts of London) and want me to travel to them still or I risk losing them etc, basically for many reasons the driving has become a really low point of my job. I spend more hours in my car each day than I do doing hair, even to drive just a couple of miles can take me an hour at certain times of day (the most popular times for clients).
My dream goal would be to have a little salon built in my garden, when I one day live in a house with a garden (bf and I are currently buying our first flat). However, I’m not sure how I would get all my clients to come to me, especially as some are well out of the local area. I am trying my hardest to only take new clients from my local town but as I said, it’s very hard and my long term ones are in all sorts of areas, where I have moved around over the years myself. Some of my regulars are 10+ miles away. I don’t want to have a home salon built just to be asked to still go to people mobile (which I would refuse).
Has anyone had any luck transitioning from mobile to home salon??

Hi francesXXX! I think you are at the point of your career where you should dictate your terms. You should put your interests on top of what your clients want. Don't be scared to loose few people here and there, it's always happens, but you should motivate your true clients with a better service and better experience if they'll come to your place! Make them travel to your home if that's your goal! You may want to re-think what's your price would be if you're opening your studio. Don't be afraid to do what you're truly want! At the end of the day, if you can provide better atmosphere, service, experience, I think both you and your clients will only win from this situation. And by doing so you may get new clients that are within your area! Good luck!

Latest posts

Back