Mobile to Salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Due to huge demand I am going to take the step from Mobile to Salon.

Have found my little shop and can't wait to crack on with the painting etc... It is so exciting, however, exteamly scary too.

I wonder if anyone else has a salon policy for breakages, I know that my nails are strong and durable, as I wear them myself and make several members of my friends and family wear them too, so that I can learn how and why any may break.

Should a client call to let me know that a nail has broken, I feel that I should replace it free of charge, this is most time consuming and iritating as a mobile tech, especially when I do not always believe that they 'just broke'.

Can someone give me some advice as I find I go into a deep depression if I ever get the dreeded call from a client, and other wise suffer from severe paranoia that the client I just did is going to call me in a couple of days.

Just cant understand why my nails and my families, stay on for weeks on end!

Any advice on this matter would be greatly received, I don't want to get a bad reputation because of someone treating their nails badly.

Gina :sad:

thenaillounge said:
Hi guys,

Have found my little shop and can't wait to crack on with the painting etc... It is so exciting, however, exteamly scary too.

I wonder if anyone else has a salon policy for breakages, I know that my nails are strong and durable, as I wear them myself and make several members of my friends and family wear them too, so that I can learn how and why any may break.

Should a client call to let me know that a nail has broken, I feel that I should replace it free of charge, this is most time consuming and iritating as a mobile tech, especially when I do not always believe that they 'just broke'.

Can someone give me some advice as I find I go into a deep depression if I ever get the dreeded call from a client, and other wise suffer from severe paranoia that the client I just did is going to call me in a couple of days.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly received, I don't want to get a bad reputation because of someone treating their nails badly.

Hi Gina

I am mobile and home salon - I tell people that if they loose one I try to guarantee fixing it within 24 hours if they come to me - but if I have to go to them it will be when I am next in their area. And I tell them it will be £7.50. I seem to get only genuine breaks with good reasons (camping, clearing loft, etc.)

I would openly explain charges but if it turns out you think it wasn't their fault you have the right not to charge at your discretion.

IMHO, HTH's

Hi, it sounds to me like your nails are fine if you and your family are wearing them with out any problems. If people are aware of your free policy they will take advantage, and will not care for there nails in the same way as they would if they knew it would cost to repair, well this is what I have found.

One of my clients is forever breaking her nails, however she is very honest which is a god send or else I woul be very paranoyed, she wil not use gloves when washing up or doing dirty jobs, she types with her nail tips and not the finger pads and gets up to all sorts so it is a wonder they stay on at all really, however she is a great laugh and she retiurns every two weeks with nail issues bless her, i allow two nail repairs in the price of the infills, however anything more than that and she pays extra and if it was out side the two week infil time again she pays extra.

It is very hard but if you are going to be running a salon you need to get tuff, obviously in a nice way but set your prices and standards and stick to them, other wise people will not respect you and will take advantage. You need to be making a profit and geting a wage at the end of the week, too many free bits and bobs here and there will not help you in the long run.

Best of luck in your new venture and I hope you do very well and enjoy it.

Grace x

Hi

I have pm you the bottom of my record card with my cancellation policy and client treatment agreement, this should be signed by both of you. Since we have introduced this we have far less people "forgetting to ring and cancel". As to the breakages ask them to bring in the offending nail and then you can see from whats left usually what happened to it. It cleary states on my price list that their is a minimum appt fee and that any breakages need to be reported so extra time can be allowed at their appointment. I know i sound a bit tough but am afraid you have to be or people just take the mick! If you have a minimum charge you will find they can wait until their next appt.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Hi
Maybe I'm lucky, but most of my clients are honest.... they tell me why they broke their nails... my policy is to charge £2.50 per nail, but If they have a few (say '4') then I am a little soft and sometimes only charge for two... This way they don't tell fibs as I am fair with them...
Most of my clients look after their nails though. So I don't get too many breaks to contend with, if a client comes in with extra work for me to do, it can set my time back with other appointments...
If a break is within a couple of days of an appointment I usually do it for free, just to go that little bit further with the customer service.

Sue

thenaillounge said:
Hi guys,

Thanks Tracey

Well I have had an overwhelming response to my first thread and thanks for the positive responce.

I'll keep you up to date on the new salon thing!

Take it easy
Gina

I have to say i agree with Little Angel, i also have an agreement which i get my client to fill in, this tells me everything from activities they do outdoors to how many kids they've got. I've also got at the bottom a line which says ....." I agree to regularly maintain my nails so they will remain strong. I also agree to give at least 24 hours notice if the need to cancel arises."

Its along those lines anyway, but have found i don't get anyone who takes the mickey. (at the moment anyway) I always replace one broken nail in with the price of infills then i charge £3.50 for each one after that. After all its your time they are paying for.:biggrin:

talented talons said:
I always replace one broken nail in with the price of infills then i charge £3.50 for each one after that. After all its your time they are paying for.:biggrin:

Yes they are paying for your time and in our salon it takes about 15 minutes per repair. By the time the client has sat down had a coffee made, told you in great detail how it all happened!! :rolleyes: you've done the repair and then a repaint on the one nail (4 coats) .... realistically this is going to take 10-15 minutes. 10-15 minutes of my time is worth about 7-50 to 8, based on every techinican working at 35.00 per hour. Therefore, that is the cost of a repair.

It is amazing how few repairs we get these days when the laides know that to sit in the chair will cost them 8.00. However, they can come in and have the junior nail sylist do the repair for 5.00 or wait for their appointment and get one free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back