Mobile v home based salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulaJayne1976

Reaction score
Hi geeks

My other half and I are just sat having a small debate on the costs of being mobile Vs the costs of running a home based salon.
What are your opinions both cost wise and what you feel your customers enjoy more, as I know a lot of you have done both at different points?
I will be qualifying in May of this year and by that stage also be qualified in OPI Colorgel and training by CND in Shellac 😊
I look forward to hearing your responses 😊

Xxx

When I say costs I mean running costs ie business rates, insurances etc xxx

Things to think about being mobile (which I am)
* petrol
* no of appointments you can fit in due to travel time
* lugging all your kit around
* ensuring you take all you need and ensuring you don't leave it
* time setting up and packing away
* can you get parked
* going into other people's houses you don't know
* animals and kids

Sounds quite negative, however I love my job and love being mobile and right now it suits me as I don't have room for a home Salon.
I hope this gives you a wee bit of insight.

Annie x

Sent from my GT-P5110 using SalonGeek

Thanks for that Annie 😊
Xxx

I'm mobile and have been for two years but I'm beginning to get fed up of lugging all my stuff around.
I would love to have a room somewhere but it's finding the right space in the right place at the right price. All of the points made above are quite right but it does suit when other options aren't available xxx

Hi I've had a home salon for 2 years and its the best thing I ever did, I rented a chair in a salon before that.
Clients always comment on how peaceful & calming it is, they love my undivided attention, I make a fuss with fancy coffees, scented candles & little touches like that. I also have an ipad that we catch up on tv stuff weve missed thro the week (I mostly do extensions so they can be here quite a long time!)
It's no big deal to me if anyone cancels last minute or doesn't show up, I just get on with other jobs in the house.
I can't imagine cost wise that the insurance costs anymore than the extra your car insurance would be for a business user.
I was initially nervous about inviting people into my home, but I have never had an issue.
Hope that helps in your decision making.
Oh, just to add I only work weekdays whilst my kids are at school/after school club. So there's only ever me in the house, I'm not sure how relaxing it would be for the client if there was anyone else pottering about the house. X

I am mobile and have been for a year now, although I do offer treatments from at home So clients can decide. It is hard because if one client just wants eyebrow wax I've got to set the room up just that. I would love to have a space at home just for a salon But unfortunately don't have the space. I do find mobile enjoyable but very hard work with all the equipment I found I had to be mega organised being mobile compared to offering treatments at home. I definitely say If you have a spare room at home go for a home salon And offer it to suit around your family. Insurance wise I don't think there's any difference. Hope this helps a little. Lucy xx

Latest posts

Back