Mobile vs home salon? Advice, please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smellenor

Reaction score
Hello everybody

I am currently building up my client base and am at the moment only offering Shellac & manis/pedis, but going to look into acrylics eventually & any other treatments that tickle my fancy!

I have offered my services as mobile but made a point of saying that I am also happy for clients to come to my home for treatments if they wish and I will offer them tea or coffee (which I would appreciate if I were the client) but I suddenly thought - am I allowed to do this without specific insurance/healthy & safety procedures etc?

If not too complicated, I may consider trying to encourage all clients to come to me as I have a huge living room so could section off one end with a curtain perhaps (though it would only be me they saw on the house), save moving stuff around? I have 2 UV lamps so this helped with the change between mobile/home thus far.

I think I am waffling a bit now so I'll leave it here but any advice would be most welcome!

I would be keen to encourage clients to come to me as I have a huge living room so I could section off one end with a curtain perhaps (though it would only be me they saw on the house), save moving stuff around? I have 2 UV lamps so this helped with the change between mobile/home thus far.

But as above - I am not sure if I'm missing something vital re having a home salon/treatment area.

Any advice would be most welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everybody - I HAVE ALREADY POSTED THIS IN BIZ GEEK BUT NO ONE HAS REPLIED YET SO PERHAPS IT IS TOO NAIL SPECIFIC?

I am currently building up my client base and am at the moment only offering Shellac & manis/pedis, but going to look into acrylics eventually & any other treatments that tickle my fancy!

I have offered my services as mobile but made a point of saying that I am also happy for clients to come to my home for treatments if they wish and I will offer them tea or coffee (which I would appreciate if I were the client) but I suddenly thought - am I allowed to do this without specific insurance/healthy & safety procedures etc?

I would be keen to encourage clients to come to me as I have a huge living room so I could section off one end with a curtain perhaps (though it would only be me they saw on the house), save moving stuff around? I have 2 UV lamps so this helped with the change between mobile/home thus far.

But as above - I am not sure if I'm missing something vital re having a home salon/treatment area.

Any advice would be most welcome!
hiya hun you need a license from the council to work from home they have to send letters to all ur neighbours for them to agree to it there is all sorts of laws you woukld b best going to citz advise x:green:

Not true for all areas, I used to have a home salon and wasn't required to do anything

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek

Ok so worth contacting the Council then to find out, what about insurance? Any tips regarding this? I have house insurance, so I am guessing that needs updating too...

Here's how I've had to do it, it varies from place to place.

Seek permission from landlord
Tell the council to see if I need to pay business rates (apparently thats the only interest mine take, environmental health would only get involved if it was ear piercing/acupuncture ect)
Tell contents insurer
Obviously HMRC

Can't remember if there was anything else lol

I get wath you are saying but.Doing nails mobile is cool its mobile.
But if clients com to you i dont think is pro to do there nails in your living.
I am still working on my space 8m2 small but wen is done is going to look
as pro as it can.Is hard working mobile that wy i stopt doing that.No way i work out
of my living.Make a beautyroom make it feeling and look like a salon.

Check with council - varies from area to area
Check with buildings insurance
Check with home contents insurance
(When checking insurance see if you are allowed to include your home address on adverts or not before you print any)
Inform mortgage lenders or check with landlord
Might need to check with fire brigade re escape plan / flammable storage
Check with neighbours / ensure adequate parking do it doesn't annoy them

Thanks ladies. I think this is definitely something I am going to do, being a single parent means I won't always have the luxury of going out to be mobile of an evening unless (thankfully very helpful) daughter's dad is around.

Daniella I do totally see your point, its not ideal but people won't know its in my living room until they get to my house and when they do if they aren't happy, they will either ask that I come to them in future or they won't be interested in which case there's nothing I can do since I don't have a spare room!

Swings and roundabouts I guess. Though my living room is 27ft long (very odd shaped house!) so pretty sure I could really divide this up well.

Thanks for your help ladies. I will contact all the insurances/council/neighbours etc and make sure I'm covered from all angles. Neighbours didn't occur to me so great suggestion - though they are all super nice so I'm sure it'll be ok :)

Latest posts

Back