Mobile vs home salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcintyre85

Reaction score
I’m a 34 yr old mobile hairstylist and have been for 8 years, having worked in salons for 8 years prior to that. I have managed to build a very successful business and it currently works well in my life.
However, I can’t see myself doing it forever and it’s very physically tiring, lugging all my heavy bags around and sitting in hours of traffic sometimes.
My dream is to one day be able to open a ‘home salon’, if I own a house big enough to have my own proper room for this purpose (I currently live in a small flat).
Has anyone had success transitioning from mobile to home salon and do you think it’s a good business move? I would need to be earning more than I do now by fitting more clients in, to help pay for the building and running costs. I couldn’t afford to lose business by losing many clients who don’t want to travel to me. Is this likely/common and has anyone experienced this problem before?
A non-hairdresser friend said to me “but isn’t your USP that you’re mobile and it’s convenient for people?” And I thought, well I hope my clients like me for more than that and they always tell me how good they think I am, but maybe the reality would be that a lot of them wouldn’t want to come all the way to me, when some of my further away clients live a half hour drive from my current house (my partner and I will be staying in the same area for the foreseeable future).
My other concern would be how easy is it to get new clients to come to you as a home salon, as I don’t believe in ‘closing my books’ or ever stopping taking on new clients unless it’s really not possible.

Latest posts

Back