Mobile....what do you think?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vixano

Reaction score
Hello!

I am a full time mobile therapist. I started in June and still of course building up clients.

I have a new client (Ive only been to her once) It ended up taking me nearly 1 hour 30 mins to get to hers. (16 miles) She had £90 worth of treatments. So despite my travel time I think that is good for an evenings work. It did only take 45 mins to get home.

She would like to book me again for a few treatments including a 30 minute massage. The only thing is she lives on a very busy main road and I have to park quite far away. Plus in a town house converted into flats and Id have to take my bed up at least 5 flights of narrow stairs. This would be quite a struggle id have to run back and forth to my car a few times to get my stuff.

This time the treatments would amount to £105. I don't know if I'm being silly, but I'm just not sure its worth the hassle?

What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance. xx

Could you park outside, drop your bed inside the door and then find parking? You could bring your other stuff back with you. It's pretty unlikely someone would steal a bed. She seems like a good client. I would do it for a £100 worth of treatments. I know what you mean about lugging equipment up and down stairs, it's a pain.

I think you need to take into account your time, petrol, materials used and labour in treatments and hauling that bed around. Maybe this is pushing it?

However as it is your first year and she seems like a good client, I would keep doing it but say as you have to travel there and back and its a considerable way that you will charge x amount for travel expenses and your time. I think this is more than reasonable :)

Hth xx

Phew. What a choice.

I thought the travel was a bit excessive at first but then £90 worth of treatments makes it ok. Borderline though (imho)

Now you bring in the stairs etc . . . more trouble than it's worth really. But potentially if she's having regular treatments with you she could be worth quite a bit over a year.

What a choice! :eek:

It can easily take not far short of half an hour to get all the kit up there and set up, then down again. So that's 2.25 hours travel, up to an hour setting up etc.

You could earn a lot of money in the 3 hours or so that you're setting up/down/driving.

But then you're trying to build up your business.

I don't envy you this decision. Especially as if you say no to the massage, is she going to cancel the other treatments?

Not much help am I?:confused:

Hi ladies, Thank you all so much for your speedy and helpful replies.

I agree with all of your comments. It is tricky if you break it down and work out the full amount of time spent/product costs/petrol. It probably isn't worth my while. But at the same time its £100 and what else would I be doing? It would probably be madness if I just stayed at home and earnt nothing.

I just wandered what other mobile geeks do. I find it hard sometimes just being me. I do find it hard at times to keep myself motivated.

Thanks again xxxxx

for me I decided to charge for travel expen. outside a predetermend area. which sounds like a good idea if you are going to be travel 45min -1 1/2 hrs...most clients understand this. Plus you could have your client meet you at the front door so you can pull up unload car then park. That way you don't have to go back and forth to the car. I have 2 clients that do this who live in buildings that don't have adjacent parking lots. Works well :)

In your place I would do it on the basis if she is enjoying using your service she will for sure be telling people great things about you. Hopefully long term it will bring you more custom.

Once you get busier and can chose which jobs to take and which to leave I would be inclined to advise her that you will be charging for travel over X miles and/or that you are unable to provide massage in a location which involves 5 flights of stairs without a lift :eek:

...... But at the same time its £100 and what else would I be doing? It would probably be madness if I just stayed at home and earnt nothing.

I think that is the heart of it, if your not turning down other work to do it then there is no question tbh.

Do it girlie. You'll kick yourself if you don't. I know it's a long way and a hassle but tbh if she recommends 3 friends in the building (even if you get some leaflets through their doors) you could arrange to do all at the same time then the travel is cut etc. good luck! x

I would do it and make sure that you leaflet all of the other properties in the block and leave her some refer a friend cards or offer an extra free treatment if 1 of her friends joins her to make it more of a pamper day. Good luck. xx

This is one of the reasons why I narrowed down a little the choice when I was fully mobile. I decided that my bed was just more hassle than it was worth in these cases so I bought a seated massage chair and only offered back, neck, shoulders & Indian Head on a mobile basis. They're a damned sight lighter to carry around!

Might be worth thinking about

T.x

Thank you everyone for your replies. I spoke to my client and she agreed I wouldn't be able to get my massage bed up all of the stairs. As she is a top floor flat and where id have to set up is the attic conversion so the stairs are very narrow.

Anyway she is happy to have a facial on her bed, so all sorted!

The massage chair is a great idea I will have a look, sounds like a good investment.

Thank you again everyone xx

Latest posts

Back