Mobile - working hours?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhiannon1408

Reaction score
Hi geeks me again!

For those that don't know I recently went mobile from renting a room above a hair salon.

I have working hours that I advertise although occasionally if a client really can't make it during these hours I will work a little later for them. (even did a couple of treatments on Sunday which I haven't done for 9 months) I work 2 late nights during the week and I also work on Saturdays.

I'll get to the point now, I've been asked to do an appointment about 20-30 minutes drive away 2 hours after I would normally finish. It would be on a Friday night, I am due to finish my last appointment at 5.30 but this lady has asked me to do the appointment at 7.30 for her own Shellac and her friend (she possibly wants l&p enhancements) So I can see myself finishing about 11pm and I really really don't want to work this late especially seeing as I have an appointment first thing the next morning.

Should I just do the appointment? Or should I offer an alternative time and explain that it's too late?

What would you do?
Rhiannon x

Hi geeks me again!

For those that don't know I recently went mobile from renting a room above a hair salon.

I have working hours that I advertise although occasionally if a client really can't make it during these hours I will work a little later for them. (even did a couple of treatments on Sunday which I haven't done for 9 months) I work 2 late nights during the week and I also work on Saturdays.

I'll get to the point now, I've been asked to do an appointment about 20-30 minutes drive away 2 hours after I would normally finish. It would be on a Friday night, I am due to finish my last appointment at 5.30 but this lady has asked me to do the appointment at 7.30 for her own Shellac and her friend (she possibly wants l&p enhancements) So I can see myself finishing about 11pm and I really really don't want to work this late especially seeing as I have an appointment first thing the next morning.

Should I just do the appointment? Or should I offer an alternative time and explain that it's too late?

What would you do?
Rhiannon x

If you don't want to work that late on a Friday tell her you aren't available and offer her an alternative.

When I have a new client on the phone I will say that I'm not available at a certain time and make an alternative if we can. When I'm face to face at the appointment I tell her my working hours, for example, I work evenings Monday to Wednesday so my regulars know not to ask for a Thursday or Friday evening unless it's for something very special!!

It's your business and your time.

Hth's

It depends. If you really need the business then you need to do it. It's 2 clients at the end of the day. I work until 11pm every evening (I am mobile too) apart from Saturday nights. I don't work every Friday night but have done a few where I am working unill that sort of time.
I always have Sunday off no matter what so I know I have a day in the week to recover.

Hope this helps

X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

If not in your terms and conditions could you not add a extra service charge for working outside your normal hours?

I have just started turning ppl away for times that aren't convenient for me - it's scary when you're mobile and feel bad for turning business away! But it's YOUR life and you have to have a good standard of living, and that comes from not just money, but time too.

Does she even realise that you could still be there till 11pm? I would explain this to her then offer her another time

I know when you are mobile and just starting out, you want to please everyone to build your client base.
But, I believe you should start as you mean to go on, otherwise your clients will always expect you to come to them at those times.
I DO NOT work on Sundays! I work 5 days a week-6 if absolutely necessary, but thats very rare.
I have my set hours and again I rarely work outside of these times.
I work to live, not live to work. You need to get the balance right, or your clients will take advantage.
x

Thank you for your input everyone.

I think I will explain that I cannot do both the treatments at that time and offer her an alternative.

I do not want my clients to expect that I will come to them whenever they want me to and ignore my working hours, so definitely going to start as I mean to go on here.

God I hate saying no!
Rhiannon x

I know when you are mobile and just starting out, you want to please everyone to build your client base.
But, I believe you should start as you mean to go on, otherwise your clients will always expect you to come to them at those times.
I DO NOT work on Sundays! I work 5 days a week-6 if absolutely necessary, but thats very rare.
I have my set hours and again I rarely work outside of these times.
I work to live, not live to work. You need to get the balance right, or your clients will take advantage.
x

Totally agree with this, start as you mean to go on. It is true when you are trying to build clients that you try to bend over backwards to please people.

I've said this before but something my husband always says is
"don't loose sight of the fact that this is your business and you shouldn't be dictated to. You should say what goes.

I did not set my hours and was told by another nail tech a while back to set them now and stick to them otherwise clients would take advantage, so i have decided as from next week i am going to do school time only with a late night thursday till 9pm and saturday morning only and i will be sticking to it.I agree it is hard to turn the work down but it is your business so you are the boss :)

Latest posts

Back