Models, do you charge them?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RD Beauty

Reaction score
When asking for models do you charge them or do you do free of charge?

I suppose it depends what it's for. :) The first couple times I did a full set of nail enhancements after my training, I did them for free. Then after having done a couple of sets, I started charging for products, and after a couple more when I was getting the hang of it, I charged half price. These days, if I ever need models, I give a discount if there is a specific design or shape etc I want/need to do where they don't have a say in how it ends up.:p For example if you need to practice reverse french, and almond shape, I'd offer a discount to entice someone to pick it, since french isn't so popular anymore and I never get to do it. But for something like an exam day, then no I don't believe it's standard practice to charge anything.

I want to do some more advance Nails rather than just natural, French etc. Looking to expand my portfolio for acrylic glitter/nail art. Thinking of no charge.

I want to do some more advance Nails rather than just natural, French etc. Looking to expand my portfolio for acrylic glitter/nail art. Thinking of no charge.

My mentor told me many years ago 'something for nothing has no value' - this I have come to realise the hard way. Do sets for free and they will get trashed, ruined and taken for granted. Make sure you charge for your products at least. Make it clear the reduced price is for that particular set of nails (ie. the ones you want to do not their choice) and it's a one off special for model purposes and not an on-going thing/.

For example, I swapped from one brand to another, and thus wanted some people to test the new brand; how it applied, how well it lasted etc I offered my customers 20% off their appt. I've also offered 20-25% off for testing out new techniques, etc. Loads were interested with 20% off, even if they didn't have much "choice" in shape/colour. So I think in such a scenario, don't do them for free. If you have a clientele already, then try to offer a discount. But if you don't have any customers, you could start off lower just to get the practice in + enhance your portfolio as you say. If it was your first ever set of nails or if it's for an exam of sorts, then don't charge. But otherwise, do charge some money, even if just to cover your costs.

Latest posts

Back