Modern Apprentice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruby19

Reaction score
Hi,

I have agreed to take on a full-time modern apprentice in my beauty salon over the next two years. I have only had my salon for 8 months but I think I can afford it. The apprentice works 40 hours a week with me, 1 day of which she spends at the college. The college covers all the tax and national insurance and just invoices me to cover the weekly wage.

My question is, does anybody know if I can get any subsidy/grant or similar to help cover the cost of paying for the apprentice? Although the outlay is only £80 per week it will make a dent in my profit although the assistance will be greatly appreciated and I believe by Xmas she should be capable of doing manicures and pedicures.

Any help / advice would be received with thanks.

Karen
xx
:)

You could enquire at your local benifits agency but at £2 per hour it is well worth having her there even if you cant get any help.
Maybe the princes trust might help out too ?

Hi Karen,
Sorry not really a reply for you but wondered if i could ask you how you go about arranging an apprentice?? I knew hairdresses did this but I've nver known of it being common within the beauty trade, although I have heard talk of it the past couple of months. My salon is due to open next month and was thinking of employing a sat girl but this sounds much better enabling me to train her up aswell. Would it be best to just contact local colleges??
Sorry to but in!
Thanks

I dont really see why they should pay for you to employ her. JMHO. surely the gov or whoever pays for college. thats enough. You are paying for the hours shes working at your shop.

I dont really see why they should pay for you to employ her. JMHO. surely the gov or whoever pays for college. thats enough. You are paying for the hours shes working at your shop.

Hi,

I'm not too sure that I fully understand what you are saying. Could you possibly expand a bit more. I do appreciate your honest opinion but I am a new business and this money will put a big dent in my income but I want to give somebody a chance to get a good start in the industry. All I am asking for is if I can get any financial assistance for taking on the trainee as it is a government scheme?

Thanks
Karen
xx

hi,

I have just started to employ an M/A for the first time and I looked right into it and no, Im sorry you get no help with the wages :( On the plus side you have someone who becomes your right hand man(or lady!) and you can mould and train they way you wish :). I have had mine for 4 weeks and shes a gem :)

Thanks Donna,

Hopefully my apprentice will turn out to be a gem to.

Karen
xx

Ive had 1 for about a year. She is now qualified to NVQ 2 and has gone back to college 1 day a week for NVQ3. She is excellent she is now taking about £1800 a month and is like a mini me!! I have to pay her £80 (which is min amount) a week but now give her £100 and commision 10% on her sales after shes made her wages. I think her gross last month was £650. In the beginning her pay was £30 a week. I have already told her she will have a full time job when she finishes and st her a target of £100 a day to make then - shes nearly there now!

You need to remember these girls are only 16 and straight out of school - they have never had a full time job before. It will take a few months to get used to working and terms to be used with clients.

Good luck x

Latest posts

Back