Money saving motivation thread!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkSwoon

Reaction score
Hi Geeks!

It's been a while since I posted properly but I've really got the money saving bug since I got a nice cheque from the tax man last week!

It really motivates me to save when I see my balance increasing every month so I'm glad I've got a bit of a buffer now instead of starting from scratch every month! I'm saving money to pay off my credit card & maybe have a warm holiday next Summer! It also helps that I make food for work (once upon a time I used to spend £200 a month by going to Greggs in my lunch hour!) & that me & my partner agree a set amount to spend on eachother on birthdays & Christmas.

What are you saving for & what keeps you going? Have you got any words of saving wisdom?

x

I saved £120 when my home insurance renewal came through last month. I went on a comparison site, lots came up quite a bit less so I made notes who quoted what, called direct line (my current insurers) and asked them to match it and they did, plus it was less hassle than changing.

I am saving for I have no idea haha. Started taking £200 out the bank on pay day, gave my mum my bank card and the money and getting pocket money! Seems to be working so far [emoji23] I own my house yet I still need my mummy's help haha. It's helping me put it away because I don't want to spend it! Xx

My boyfriend and I are going to new york next month so we've been saving for spends for that, now that it's paid off. We're also saving for a house deposit which is going to take forever and seems impossible. We'll get there! o_O

i never thought i could save up, but then i started saving for my car a few months ago and it gets delivered next week. Whereas before i just spent my money on stupid stuff, now im surprised how much i've actually managed to save! definitely helps when you have a goal of what you want x

When we were saving for our wedding earlier this year every time someone paid me in cash I'd put it into the wedding fund and forget I'd had it. I just lived off credit card payments and we managed to save a big chunk to pay for our wedding [emoji4] it's surprising what you can save when you want to!

I'm crap at stashing cash away. I evaluated my spending recently and shocked to see I blow about £600 a month on God knows what after all my bills are paid out :( where the heck does it go?

So now I'm on a TIGHT reign, do my weekly household shop pay my bills then that's it. If I draw out s set amount snd it's in my purse I'll spend it...if I leave it in bank I'll spend it..the odd tenner, twenty quid here and there soon adds up and before you know it...boom £600 gone!! :-(

So I'm on the.. "do I need to buy it or just want it" so keep this thread going girls.... Please lol

I do that too KHS! Considering drawing out the money too & limiting myself!

My OH is terrible for spending! He makes way more than I do but he's the one at the end of the month that is like 'I might have to dip into the savings...' AGGGHH

So I've had to take over the budgeting, which is annoying but it's how it's going to work.

We are spending some time paying off credit cards etc and then saving up for our own place. (After we get back from NY this is.) In the long term we will be saving to buy a place, but that's quite a few years off I think.

When I work out money coming in for both of us v money going out, there should be several thousand over per year yet there never is - where is it??

I'm staying at home aslong as i can I had my own place I had to give up the cost of running it were impossible. it wasn't anything fancy it wasn't a new build it was basic living it's very hard for a young person to get on the property ladder and the deposit today than it was in the 90s

Me and my boyfriend are so lucky, my dad bought a house near to my work, so we've moved in there and aren't paying any rent, just bills and as my dad rents out the other two bedrooms that's all split too. So so lucky, but as people have already said, the money we have left over after bills etc just vanishes into thin air!!!

My boyfriend earns a reasonable amount more than I do, and we've worked out that in 3 years we will have £30,000 saved between us - mainly his money unfortunately - for a deposit for a house! Fingers crossed, eh?!

I'm crap at stashing cash away. I evaluated my spending recently and shocked to see I blow about £600 a month on God knows what after all my bills are paid out :( where the heck does it go?

So now I'm on a TIGHT reign, do my weekly household shop pay my bills then that's it. If I draw out s set amount snd it's in my purse I'll spend it...if I leave it in bank I'll spend it..the odd tenner, twenty quid here and there soon adds up and before you know it...boom £600 gone!! :-(

So I'm on the.. "do I need to buy it or just want it" so keep this thread going girls.... Please lol

I do this too. My oh is brill at saving up. Plus he earns waay more than me. I had couple grand in bank but now I'm down to less than 100. And naff all to show for it!! Seriously reigning in the spending now. Depressing me thinking about it tbh. Feel like crap that I have nothing left and he has saved a few grand away. Feel so stupid.

Folks....you can't take it with you.......!
Within reason, enjoy your life.:p

Us hair and beauty Pro's need to practice what we preach.
We can't be skimping and scrapping, whilst moaning that our client's are tight as ar**holes! :oops:

Folks....you can't take it with you.......!
Within reason, enjoy your life.:p

Us hair and beauty Pro's need to practice what we preach.
We can't be skimping and scrapping, whilst moaning that our client's are tight as ar**holes! :oops:

Sis in laws saying is 'ain't no pockets in a shroud' lol.

No point in being the richest corpse in the graveyard, however, there is a definite feeling of relief and security with a little in the bank for a rainy day in my experience.

For those trying to budget a note of everything you spend is a great way to keep a check - the suggestion used to be a little note pad and write it down, but I'm a 21st century girl and I have a list on my phone. Its easy to see how quickly it slips through my fingers when I keep a note of the odd £2/£5 here and there. Its a bit like dieting, you don't realise those sneaky biscuits until you are faced with the written evidence :oops:

No point in being the richest corpse in the graveyard, however, there is a definite feeling of relief and security with a little in the bank for a rainy day in my experience.

For those trying to budget a note of everything you spend is a great way to keep a check - the suggestion used to be a little note pad and write it down, but I'm a 21st century girl and I have a list on my phone. Its easy to see how quickly it slips through my fingers when I keep a note of the odd £2/£5 here and there. Its a bit like dieting, you don't realise those sneaky biscuits until you are faced with the written evidence :oops:

Another way of looking at it .......
That '£2/£5 here and there'.....well it's making whoever you gave it to, HAPPY! :D

All about balance, good to have a stash for emergencies but no point going without to save as makes you miserable. I used to love being paid in cash, made me value money so much more. The only way I ever managed to save was to put my money in a pass book account. Its much harder to spend as you physically have to go and take money out and I love watching the numbers grow in the balance column. Its too easy to spend here and there with contact-less, credit cards and online etc, its like the value of money has diminished. The passbook helped me save 8k to go travelling was well worth it, without it I would of never of got there.

i have been saving my tips all year going to put them into stocks and shares

I'm.saving for a deposit on a house which will hopefully have next year :) good site for tips and things is money saving expert.com, there is a forum page on there with loads of different threads :)

Latest posts

Back