Monomer Dispenser's

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score
Hi there! Just curious what everyone uses for their monomer? The dappen dishes or an actual monomer dispenser? Just after feedback on both and opinnions of wat works better for them? In seeing a monomer dispenser it would seem using this you would not waste as much monomer. Charlene.

I've always used the clear dappen dishes...but in a pinch I've been know to use an old teacup!!!:o Shhhhhh....Don't tell anybody!!:D

Are they the same dispenser's that you'd use for scrubfresh, or polish remover? If so I was under the impression they were a no no. I use a dappen dish.

Hi. I also use the clear dappen dishes. This way you can only put in as much monomer as you will need and keep the dish clean. I use a pippete to transfer the liquid from the bottle.
Leni

I'm actually not sure wat scrubfresh is - i wasnt taught to use it? What is it? I believe it is a similar dispenser to that of an acetone one. It is a porcelain jar and at the top it has a well - you use your brush to press down on the well and in doing so a small amount of monomer is dispensed into the well and you dip your brush into this. I saw this being used not along ago when I was having my nails done and I found it facinating and a really good idea. I use the clear dappen dishes too and they have a cute little lid. But i find using them if u have excess liquid it just evaporates and goes to waste - even when using the cute lid. I thought using the dispenser would be a good idea not to waste liquid as it only releases a small amount. I also use a pipette to transfer liquid from my bottle to my dappen dish and I thought the dispense might be a way of eliminating doing this as well. As I find the pipette's often break easily - I'm not sure why. How come these dispenser's might be a no no. Does anyone else use them or have any thoughts on them. Thanks Charlene.

Charlene said:
I'm actually not sure wat scrubfresh is - i wasnt taught to use it? What is it? I believe it is a similar dispenser to that of an acetone one. It is a porcelain jar and at the top it has a well - you use your brush to press down on the well and in doing so a small amount of monomer is dispensed into the well and you dip your brush into this. I saw this being used not along ago when I was having my nails done and I found it facinating and a really good idea. I use the clear dappen dishes too and they have a cute little lid. But i find using them if u have excess liquid it just evaporates and goes to waste - even when using the cute lid. I thought using the dispenser would be a good idea not to waste liquid as it only releases a small amount. I also use a pipette to transfer liquid from my bottle to my dappen dish and I thought the dispense might be a way of eliminating doing this as well. As I find the pipette's often break easily - I'm not sure why. How come these dispenser's might be a no no. Does anyone else use them or have any thoughts on them. Thanks Charlene.
I've read on here (can't think who it was) that the monomer that would sit in the well could leak back into the bottle, therefore increasing contamination. You also need the side of the dappen dish to draw your brush against to remove excess liquid.

The place where I started working uses these and I HATE it!!
The only time I ever have problems with brush contamination is when I use these dispensers. I never end up with a good lot of monomer. You need to use a deep dappen dish that allows any gunk to drop to the bottom of your monomer so you are picking up fresh liquid everytime.

I now poor my liquid into a shot glass of all things and use that instead.

i used to use a ceramic pot with cork, but recently bought a menda pump, which is great so that my liquid doesnt get contaminated but i seem to be using a lot of monomer which isnt lasting me as long. But i suppose if the rest was getting contaminated i would only be pouring it away anyway so i suppose its similair wasteage.

Sara
x

This has been discussed before - the majority consensus is they are not a good idea for various reasons.

The biggest being contamination of your whole batch of monomer, and smell reduction (you can't put a lid on them so the smell is constantly able to escape and therefore evapourate too).

With a dappen dish you can measure out a small amount for each customer, see how much you remove from your brush when draining before picking up your bead, etc.

If you use the search option you'll find a few threads about them, but here is one to get you started.

http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=10697&highlight=monomer+dispenser

Trin

i would have thought using the dispenser you might be more likely to spill it, some of the dispensers i have used get a little bit spray happy and sometimes too much comes to the top?!
i like my little dappen dish...though i have seen a nice little chrome set of pumps dappen dishes etc... that i might have to buy at the show this year....look very nice think i have seen some in the OSNS
x

plaoh said:
Are they the same dispenser's that you'd use for scrubfresh, or polish remover? If so I was under the impression they were a no no. I use a dappen dish.

no theyre not the same, the ones that are made for use with monomer have a special non- return valve to prevent the monomer from being contaminated.

I use a clear small glass dappen dish.

I dispense my monomer into my dish using a pipette!

Dispensers for monomer are not really recommended. Liquid always seeks the lowest point, if it comes out it will go back in (gravity is an amazing thing). YOu run more risk of contamination and service breakdown when using a dispenser, and could (though I have not heard of it happening) cause cross contamination from client to client. Monomer won't support bacterial growth so it wouldn't be in the form of an infection, but you could get oil, dirt and other particles in your monomer and cause some service breakdowns.

A dappen dish with only enough monomer for one client for that service is recommended for infection control and client safety. You also usually use less when you put the recommended amount into a dish vs. the dispenser. It will evaporate from the dispenser. Some people really like their dipensers and they work well for them. I found it was too expensive to replace contaminated monomer and that I went through monomer twice as fast. I also have better control with the dish, I can pick up what I need, make sure that my bellly is full and I end up with the perfect mix every time (if I pay attention to what I'm doing that is)

I use the menda dispenser mainly & a dappens dish for small repairs.
Never had a problem with the dispensers- brushes or contamination.
To educate for CND you must use the dappens dish..
Hrmmm dunno if I can let go of my dispenser...........

XX J XX

i use a clear dampen dish and i save the left over monomer for 3D art.

definitley a dappen dish or i use a heavy bottomed glass candle holder.very stable. a dispenser i have been taught leads 2 contamination
Charlene said:
Hi there! Just curious what everyone uses for their monomer? The dappen dishes or an actual monomer dispenser? Just after feedback on both and opinnions of wat works better for them? In seeing a monomer dispenser it would seem using this you would not waste as much monomer. Charlene.

I too would use a dappen dish of some description. Mine is a ceramic one which makes it easy when you need to wipe your brush coz its heavy. I always try and put a very small amount of monomer into my dappen dish so i won't have any wastage. I'd rather have to add more than have some left which should be thrown away.

I wouldn't use the dispensers myself because of contamination to the monomer and my brush. All this leads to service breakdown, so not a good idea.

Always use fresh monomer everytime.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Dispenser's do sound appearling but I don't think I want to risk contamination. I'm not sure if the dispenser I saw being used had a lid but I think it did. The other thing valid point was like said you need the side of the dappen dish to wipe your brush on to release excess liquid. Didn't think of this. But very true. Come to think of it the girl I saw use a dispenser used a cuticle stick to remove the excess liquid from her brush. I found this interesting - a waste of monomer? and wondered how she managed to get the right mix ratio - however she did. Charlene.

Wow Charlene
Where have you seen this??????? In the city/country area's??[cuticle stick to remove excess monomer]

I have no problem's withthe dispenser in regards to wiping excess liquid from by brush.....Or with cloudy monomer.
Have been using it for a while so I suppose I've got the knack of it......

XX J XX

Me too Jnail,i have no probs with my dispenser, it was my ceramic dish that was getting cloudy because of the white powder that made me switch to a dispenser and i still can remove excess out of my brush with it no problem.

Latest posts

Back