Moral & Ethical Dilemma

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEEKS_R_WE

Reaction score
I am currently working for an employer.
A friend of mine will be opening a salon and has asked me to work for her, (better pay/conditions/hygeine practise).

Problem is that her salon is round the corner from where I am working at the moment.

What should I do. I feel so obliged to stay with my current employer because she took me on after I qualified but I know if I stay where I am, I will be restricted and will not progress.

I

How long have you worked for your current employer?

Are there any terms and conditions in your contract of employment that prevent you working within a certain distance of your current salon for a given period of time?

If you have been working for your current employer for a while, and there are no terms and conditions preventing you from working at your friend's salon, then I would have no problems with moving to work for your friend, provided that you work out your notice period with your current employer.

I would talk to my current employer and explain what I am being offered and why you have a problem biting their hand of, either your current employer will open up more opportunities for you, not having realised that you are ready to step out of your comfort zone or explain why you are limited there which gives you the chance to leave with good will intact. Hopefully:)

How long have you worked for your current employer?

Are there any terms and conditions in your contract of employment that prevent you working within a certain distance of your current salon for a given period of time?

If you have been working for your current employer for a while, and there are no terms and conditions preventing you from working at your friend's salon, then I would have no problems with moving to work for your friend, provided that you work out your notice period with your current employer.
I've worked for her since october 2008. We don't have contract

Working with friends is not always the best scenario either. It may all look good at first but this friend isn't stupid ... I'm sure she thinks her business will benefit immediately from you hopefully bringing clients from the other salon (that is the unethical bit).

I feel sorry for your current employer ...

1. She looses someone to whom she gave a start up in the business.
2. You would move right around the corner which makes it easy for current clients to go to.
3. She seems to have been a good employer.

I'm glad you have a conscience about this. It shows you are a good person.

Why do you feel restricted? Why do you feel you won't progress? If you talked candidly with your employer and told her about this and that you feel your loyalty is to her but you have reservations reguarding your future together and would like better hygiene in the salon, and better pay and conditions and to progress .... maybe you will get everything you want and be able to stay where you are?

It is a dilemma for sure. I hope you speak to her and do the right thing by at least giving her a chance to change things before making your decision. At least that way it is being fair to her and for what she has done for you.

No one can keep an employee forever if they want to make a change but at least leave an open door and do things right. That way if things don't work out for you and the friend (and beware they seldom do) then you could have the option to return. It nice to remain friendly if you can although with moving around the corner it won't be easy. The only way it will is if oyou are absolutley ethical in everything you do if you leave.

I've worked for her since october 2008. We don't have contract

That's only 4 months then; did your current employer offer you much in the way of training courses, etc? If your current employer specifically paid for you to have training, then I'd be more inclined to stay with them; if they didn't give you much in the way of training, then I'd be more inclined to move.

Leaving your current employer will probably open a vacancy there, which would mean there would be a job available there for someone else to take, which could well do someone else a favour who is just starting out like you were.

Remember, you're not married to your employer; it's very much a business relationship; also there are a lot of people out there wanting jobs at the moment, so it's not as though she's going to have a problem finding someone else to work for her..

That's only 4 months then; did your current employer offer you much in the way of training courses, etc? If your current employer specifically paid for you to have training, then I'd be more inclined to stay with them; if they didn't give you much in the way of training, then I'd be more inclined to move.

Leaving your current employer will probably open a vacancy there, which would mean there would be a job available there for someone else to take, which could well do someone else a favour who is just starting out like you were.

Remember, you're not married to your employer; it's very much a business relationship; also there are a lot of people out there wanting jobs at the moment, so it's not as though she's going to have a problem finding someone else to work for her..

I totally agree with Ruth, if you leave your job and go to the other one, they will have no problems getting someone else as so many people would jump at the job.

I totally agree with Ruth, if you leave your job and go to the other one, they will have no problems getting someone else as so many people would jump at the job.

In one way I agree, but from an employers perspective, it's not that easy to just replace people, unless the people who are leaving is not that good...

I would have talked to my employer, what she thinks about the situation.

I would also have thought veeeeery long before I decided to work for a friend. In general, I would never advised anybody to work for friends.

Good luck!

In one way I agree, but from an employers perspective, it's not that easy to just replace people, unless the people who are leaving is not that good...

I would have talked to my employer, what she thinks about the situation.

I would also have thought veeeeery long before I decided to work for a friend. In general, I would never advised anybody to work for friends.

Good luck!

Absolutely agree Cec.

As for it being easy to replace staff I can tell you it is certainly is not.

To get a member of staff that does a good job, is honest, that the clients will like and who makes them happy is not easy at all and anyone who thinks it is has obvioulsly never had to employ people. It is the hardest thing to get right and to even find someone who will meld comfortably into a salon. True many might apply for the job ... but finding the one who will work out ................... not easy at all.

Hopefully if you discuss it with your employer they will see your worth, at the end of the day you want to be moral and ethical no doubt, but you are not a charity worker so don't just stay because of guilt, you need to make a decent wage and feel you are valued and learning.

Latest posts

Back