More evidence of the illegality of teeth whitening!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidgernetball

Ubergeek
Reaction score
Oh god what had happened to the 'victim'?!

I don't know that anything happened, but maybe shes a victim because the therapist was uninsured!!!

I think it's pretty lenient of the GDC to send several warning letters! If you then ignore it then I'm sorry, you're a bit of a muppet.

I don't know that anything happened, but maybe shes a victim because the therapist was uninsured!!!

It's disgusting! I can't believe people knowing do it to clients! And I can't get over how these companies are allowed to showcase at trade shows. I mean what the hell?! I've often thought tht the 'educators' must surely demonstrate on someone at the classes? Therefore breaking the law also? X

I was asked at the beauty show if I wanted my teeth whitening. Said no thank you, I have sensitive teeth and slightly receding gums at the front. She still wanted to do it!!! Aren't they even trained!!!

Thesingingdentist on youtube says it's illegal for people who aren't dentists to do teeth whitening. Look it up :)

Yes, I work as a dental nurse and only dentists and hygienists are legally the only people allowed to perform tooth whitening x

I was chatting with beauty therapist in salon about this and apparently what they are doing is getting the clients to apply themselves so they aren't actally putting anything in their mouths themselves??

I was chatting with beauty therapist in salon about this and apparently what they are doing is getting the clients to apply themselves so they aren't actally putting anything in their mouths themselves??

It makes no difference whether the client self administers or not:

"You may have been told that offering tooth whitening treatment to individuals by handing them trays for self-administration and asking them to sign consent forms circumvents the law:

False.The Dentists Act makes it illegal for anyone who is not a dentist to give “treatment, advice or attendance” that would usually be given by a dentist. Handing an individual a tooth whitening tray and advising them on application, amongst other things, could constitute the giving of “advice or attendance” and would be illegal.

The GDC has successfully prosecuted several individuals for illegally practising or offer to practise tooth whitening treatment using the so-called ‘self-administered’ method of providing the treatment."

Source:
http://www.gdc-uk.org/membersofpublic/illegalpractice/pages/faqs.aspx

It makes no difference whether the client self administers or not:

"You may have been told that offering tooth whitening treatment to individuals by handing them trays for self-administration and asking them to sign consent forms circumvents the law:

False.The Dentists Act makes it illegal for anyone who is not a dentist to give “treatment, advice or attendance” that would usually be given by a dentist. Handing an individual a tooth whitening tray and advising them on application, amongst other things, could constitute the giving of “advice or attendance” and would be illegal.

The GDC has successfully prosecuted several individuals for illegally practising or offer to practise tooth whitening treatment using the so-called ‘self-administered’ method of providing the treatment."

Source:
http://www.gdc-uk.org/membersofpublic/illegalpractice/pages/faqs.aspx

Yes I know it's illegal also. Can't believe they are silly enough to believe it though.

This is how they get around it at beauty shows [emoji17]

Latest posts

Back