more experience

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailsharon

Reaction score
hi geekbabes&guys,iv been working mobile for about 9mths now,just on my own and the only feedback i get is from my clients and this site is fab and has helped me alot,but saying that iv lost a couple of clients through being inexperience in some areas i was thinking of maybe phoning round a couple of nail salons and asking if i could come in one day a week to get some salon experience and to brush up on my technics,i dont want to be paid i just want experience,what do you guys think :hug:thx

I think it's a good idea and would probably help you iron out some of the areas in which you feel you are inexperienced.

Saying that, so would a one-to-one course.

Good luck hun, I was mobile in the beginning and completely on my own, like you . . . I went down the one-to-one training route and my goodness, you can get through SO MUCH STUFF when it's just you, and the trainer. You can tailor it completely around what you think you need to brush up on.

I've had zero salon experience and have built up a successful now home-based business. I'm actually a lot busier than I ever intended being lol. You'll get there one way or another hun. x

IMO, I think going for a one to one training session with a good trainer is the best route. Unless you're sure that the particular salon is gonna be teaching you the right thing :) I may not have had much salon experience before I opened my salon, but I was privileged enough to have trained with some of the best and that has helped me tremendously.

I would go into a full time situation in one place if you can.

You may think it will help you but One day a week is not offering much of a service to clients!

Technicians who want to get clients thru their hands should be in one place so that clients know you are there all the time. If you are not there when someone needs you .. you've lost a client as they will not wait and will go elsewhere and they will stick with the person who commits to THEM by being available.

I would go into a full time situation in one place if you can.

You may think it will help you but One day a week is not offering much of a service to clients!

Technicians who want to get clients thru their hands should be in one place so that clients know you are there all the time. If you are not there when someone needs you .. you've lost a client as they will not wait and will go elsewhere and they will stick with the person who commits to THEM by being available.

Oh no don't tell me that! I have just opened another business but in order to be in 2 places during the week I have had to cut down my days at the first salon and am worried about clients going elsewhere because they don't want to wait for their appointments although my regulars promised that won't hapen.

In regard to the original post I was in exactly the same position and 1 day a week in a salon did help slightly although I had a nail trainer for the other 6! But it is best to find a full time position somewhere if you can AND invest in the one to one-just think how much practice you could save on by having a true pro tell you exactly where you are going wrong. And how many clients you could potentially hang onto by not making small errors

Oh no don't tell me that! I have just opened another business but in order to be in 2 places during the week I have had to cut down my days at the first salon and am worried about clients going elsewhere because they don't want to wait for their appointments although my regulars promised that won't happen.

'Regulars' are famous for saying things like that but the fact is ... If they break a nail and you are not there to fix it, they will
1. go to someone else who is there all the time to get it fixed, potentially like that person and the consistant service and possibly leave your book or
2. rip the other enhancements off to match the one that broke and not return at all.

Either way it is risky being part ime in your business. IMO

'Regulars' are famous for saying things like that but the fact is ... If they break a nail and you are not there to fix it, they will
1. go to someone else who is there all the time to get it fixed, potentially like that person and the consistant service and possibly leave your book or
2. rip the other enhancements off to match the one that broke and not return at all.

I know I know! Am looking for an experienced Creative trained tech to replace me but ones who want to work 2 late nights and Saturdays are thin on the ground! In fact experience seems to be thin on the ground! :lol:

Looking forward to demo day Geeg, just wondered if it would be ok to bring a non-pro with me as the hairdresser I work with is interested in seeing the new method? Sorry this thread has gone totally off topic

I had the second done by a client. She was on holiday and broke 2 nails, Bit the rest off,purely because she couldn't get to me. Luckily for me she came to me when she got bcak. I was amazed at the damage it caused. I hadn't had this before and she had a real 'hole' in her middle finger.
I politely advised her not to do this....with a smile Geeg!!:lol:

I know I know! Am looking for an experienced Creative trained tech to replace me but ones who want to work 2 late nights and Saturdays are thin on the ground! In fact experience seems to be thin on the ground! :lol:

Looking forward to demo day Geeg, just wondered if it would be ok to bring a non-pro with me as the hairdresser I work with is interested in seeing the new method? Sorry this thread has gone totally off topic
come back :irked:lol

Latest posts

Back