more fabric help please...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nails At The Hat Hire Company

Reaction score
Sorry guys but im going insane just when i think i have cracked at least one system it all goes to pot. I wear fabric and had a client in for a toe repair all went well... using fabric she said her freind had split a nail and could come and see me. the fabric wouldnt stick down at all and kept lifting up even after applying the bond. (i did post re this) then i had a full set french set to do same thing happened. monday i had an overlay set do do and i was in a right state - even crying before she came - i cant help being a woss i am pregnant so blame the hormones.
anyway about 5 of the 10 laid flat. the others kept lifting up and not sticking. i muddled through and did the best i could. again a lady came wednesday for a full set french and again same sort of thing. now this is gutting/worrying etc for me as i have JUST after three years got some clients coming for enhancements and now im so worried that they are going away thinking how cr*p the nais are etc etc.,
this is my service;
cool blue. shape nails. cuticle eraser, cuticle work, koola,scrubfresh.
bond,application of tips. fabric,bond,build,blast,boost.blast.buff.solaroil.
please someone tell me where i am going wrong.

Thehandsanctuary said:
Sorry guys but im going insane just when i think i have cracked at least one system it all goes to pot. I wear fabric and had a client in for a toe repair all went well... using fabric she said her freind had split a nail and could come and see me. the fabric wouldnt stick down at all and kept lifting up even after applying the bond. (i did post re this) then i had a full set french set to do same thing happened. monday i had an overlay set do do and i was in a right state - even crying before she came - i cant help being a woss i am pregnant so blame the hormones.
anyway about 5 of the 10 laid flat. the others kept lifting up and not sticking. i muddled through and did the best i could. again a lady came wednesday for a full set french and again same sort of thing. now this is gutting/worrying etc for me as i have JUST after three years got some clients coming for enhancements and now im so worried that they are going away thinking how cr*p the nais are etc etc.,
this is my service;
cool blue. shape nails. cuticle eraser, cuticle work, koola,scrubfresh.
bond,application of tips. fabric,bond,build,blast,boost.blast.buff.solaroil.
please someone tell me where i am going wrong.

Jenni I went through this and if I recall well it was the way i was putting the bond onto the silk/fibre I was putting too much on and being to agresive when brushing/stippling it on..but Ruth or Geeg will be your best bet if i am wrong hun...hth

thanks for that geeg and ruth have been very helpful already and i was told to pat it on but it makes no difference the fabric doesnt seem to want to stick in the first place! but not on all places - does that makes sense or have i just blown away the little bit of brain i had left!!!!

No not at all....

I do understand, I do get this still very rarely and I just wack on my build, i find its viscosity and therefore the wieght of it flattens the fabric down and hey presto then I activate etc- I will get shot for probably saying this...

Give it a whirl on your own nails see how you get on

i have tried this but when i add the build it just sticks up like a peak on mount everest!!!!

Hi Jenni,
I sooooo know where you are coming from!
this was happening to me only a couple of months ago,GIGI suggested it could be the strip of fabric as they think some of them are coming with not enough sticky on and told me to get a dispenser one,,but it was a 3metre dispenser i had!
Anyway i already had a 1-1 booked in Leeds to tweak a few things and so mentioned this and voila it has'nt happened since using the same fabric :D
Firstly it never dawned on me the nail plates could be too oily,so now check for this and use nailfresh,also you only need a thin layer of bond,and really important is when you are smoothing fabric down with the backing paper make sure you have not touched it on the surface you are using as this passes oil from your finger onto the fabric and when you have taken the backing off your fabric make sure the surface is clean and dust free that you place it on otherwise when you use it to smooth fabric down it could have dust or whatever on the underneath and can again stop the fabric sticking.
When applying bond to fabric don't use loaded brush take some off and start at the cuticle and pat on using a fan motion going from side to side down to the free edge.
oh boy,,,i hope you got all that i've rambled a bit :lol:
anyway this toatally sorted it out for me but if you are using the fabric strips is a possibility could be that so maybe return it get a dispenser and try the above,,,,,good luck ,let me know how you get on,don't lose confidence it will be sorted!! :)

i also have had this problem, and have found with one client i only prep one hand at a time as if i do both, i will only have to redo the second hand anyway because her nail plate produces oil quite quickly. Some people have to do each nail individually because they produce alot of oil naturally.

talented talons said:
i also have had this problem, and have found with one client i only prep one hand at a time as if i do both, i will only have to redo the second hand anyway because her nail plate produces oil quite quickly. Some people have to do each nail individually because they produce alot of oil naturally.

I have just got into a habit over time of PREP'n one hand at a time. I think it stems from a time when I was a lot slower at application. (dont get me wrong.....Im not supersonic by any means now!!!) I realised that if I prepped all 10 then by the time the 1st 5 had been done the 2nd 5 were in need of it again!! :(
When I did my FDFC we were told to scrubfresh one hand at a time and I felt so much happier that I was already working like that.

Latest posts

Back