More S/E based queries needing advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailz73

Reaction score
hi all

am still in the process of opening my nail and beauty salon, which is in a prominent position within the main footfall and route to towns within a village..

anyway, it was previously a hair salon only, and the lady is selling me 3 stations which i intend to rent out for stylists etc..

i have done so much reading and research that am now at a blur.. so... am i correct within the following points for a chair rental.

*self employed stylists on a negotiable % or weekly rent..

*chair renter can assume their own working hours > ? can i ask them to be in certain days ie Friday/Sat for example.

*can i ask they out of courtesy notify me of any changes ie holidays booked etc.. days they will NOT be working.

*chair renter is responsible for own NI, tax, own insurance or public liability..

*my chair renters will have access to their stations, amenities for both renter and clients, i will happily promote (i will be a working professional aswell)

*pricelists !!! my real headache area.. how best to do this.. i really wanted to have a "salon" price list, but then renters will have their own prices, how can i combat this without upsetting anyone?.. i really didn't want to have, say 3 different pricelists on show so clients can chose the cheapest and the other renters not be happy...

*how do i tackle walk ins, if all 3 chairs are working on the same day lol.. negotiate them to the next available..how does everyone tackle this situation.

*can chair renters client payments be taken through main till if there is a code keeping everything separate, or is it better for them to keep payments on themselves ?...

a thinking if this is a 60/40 split will renter be honest about income they have earned..gosh that sounds so bad to say :/ if on a % how can i invoice for a 40% taking if i do not know the daily income ???(told you minds a blur)

i obviously will be putting a self employed agreement in place but just wanted to make sure my head is straight... upon reading articles everywhere there is a grey line between employed and S/E... whats acceptable to charge, whats dictated and shouldnt be, i would like to do this right..

so if anyone has any bearing on the points i have raised please please, i would l appreciate the valued input ..i am ok on the beauty and nail side, just the hair is beating senseless at the moment.. it seems not as straightforward as renting out a chair anymore .. :O)

many thanks

Sarah...xxxx

sitting here thinking..

ok.. if i have a set salon pricelist with prices stated "from£ xxx pounds.. i can have the renters prices, approx times etc in a laminate on the reception desk.. then if someone inquires i can give them a price for that renter..

does that sound right .. lol..

(i need sleep! ):eek:

I work in a salon where we all rent space from the owner. We are all self employed. We all take our own payments and set our own prices. This doesn't result in people going for the cheapest at all as each client has their own preferences for who does their hair/treatments. We pay weekly and this is based on a daily rate with the understanding that we work the same amount of days each week. We can swap days and work as many hours per day as we choose but if we have holidays its charged at half price and all other absences are charged at full price. Hope that helps a bit :)

Latest posts

Back