More ways to promote your business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are loads of ways to use a QR code- and QR readers are available for 99.9% of smartphones and tablet devices.

You can either have it linked to your homepage, or it can auto-update someone's contacts with your details.

Those are the "standard" uses- but you can also use them in a few more innovative ways.

You could use it to promote an offer where a scan of the code takes them to a "splash" page on your website which is solely devoted to that offer.

You could have a QR code where scanning it acts as entry to a competion.

You can have it update someone's calendar if you have a promotion or event.

If you're selling something it can take them straight to Paypal where they can purchase your product.

It's pretty limitless really.....Google "using QR codes" and you'll find LOADS of ideas.

Be careful when using them though- if they're not generated correctly (and there are generators on the web) then you'll end up with somethign that will work ok on your screen (if you were testing it) but it won't work in print because the DPI isn't correct- as each of those little "blocks" is a bit of information. Make sure you're generating a 300dpi code, or if you know how to use one, a vector image. Or, as a professional.

What I do on Twitter is go to the search option put in a 1 to 5 mile radius then search 'spray tan' or 'nails' or whatever your treatment is. Bam - you find all your customers! Then reply to all of them suggesting your services.

Struggling to get any of the twitter searches to work!! In the advanced section there is nowhere to select the radius, mine is automatically set to 15 miles............

You could use it to promote an offer where a scan of the code takes them to a "splash" page on your website which is solely devoted to that offer.

Be careful when using them though- if they're not generated correctly (and there are generators on the web) then you'll end up with somethign that will work ok on your screen (if you were testing it) but it won't work in print because the DPI isn't correct- as each of those little "blocks" is a bit of information. Make sure you're generating a 300dpi code, or if you know how to use one, a vector image. Or, as a professional.

Two quick questions:

1) What is a "splash" page? Is it a page on the website which isn't accessible directly through any links on the website?

2) Can you recommend any decent generator websites?

I think using the QR codes as a promotional tool is a great idea, it is after all the way the world is going, why not get in asap?!

Loving all these comments I'm going to get a pen and note pad and write this all down! :D

What a fantastic thread. Iv'e just set up as a mobile therapist and will have to try most of these ideas, given me something to think about thank you. :biggrin:

There are loads of ways to use a QR code- and QR readers are available for 99.9% of smartphones and tablet devices.

You can either have it linked to your homepage, or it can auto-update someone's contacts with your details.

Those are the "standard" uses- but you can also use them in a few more innovative ways.

You could have a QR code where scanning it acts as entry to a competion.

You can have it update someone's calendar if you have a promotion or event.

If you're selling something it can take them straight to Paypal where they can purchase your product.

It's pretty limitless really.....Google "using QR codes" and you'll find LOADS of ideas.

Oh my days! something else for me to consider! Now I know I am a little behind the times. I have seen these little barcode logo thingys before but don't really know what they do. I am going to have to look into this now and find out... All of the above sounds ace but complicated... Is it going to be expensive to get one of these QR codes?

I used to be able to do the radius thingy on my Twitter allll the time - loved it! But now I have an iPhone - it doesn't work!!! Am i bening really stupid, or does anyone know how to get it back?!!?/

Also, I can't seem to private message people, it doesn't let me?

:-(

Excellent thread - refer back to it time and again!

Oh my days! something else for me to consider! Now I know I am a little behind the times. I have seen these little barcode logo thingys before but don't really know what they do. I am going to have to look into this now and find out... All of the above sounds ace but complicated... Is it going to be expensive to get one of these QR codes?

No it's free! Search the threads somewhere it has a link. I can't remember who said it though x

Two quick questions:

1) What is a "splash" page? Is it a page on the website which isn't accessible directly through any links on the website?

2) Can you recommend any decent generator websites?

I think using the QR codes as a promotional tool is a great idea, it is after all the way the world is going, why not get in asap?!

1. I used the wrong terminology really- It's more of a "landing" page. Which makes more sense I'm sure :)

2. I use this site Esponce - Turning things into hyperlinks - but generating the codes is one thing. Using them is another as you'd have to intergrate them (at the right resolution) within a design- which more often than not (though not always if you know what you're doing) takes design software.

I wouldn't use that one to be honest- it generates a 72dpi png file for using on the web. Which is pretty daft really....seeing as its supposed to link to pages on the web :)

To get the usable vector ones you have to pay to subscribe.

That's where I got mine from and this will maybe sound silly but I took a picture of it and my sister managed to scan it on her phone over Skype lol so I don't see anything wrong with it? x

That's where I got mine from and this will maybe sound silly but I took a picture of it and my sister managed to scan it on her phone over Skype lol so I don't see anything wrong with it? x

That's what I'm saying- a 72dpi image will work on screen (i.e. if you hold your phone up to your monitor), but it won't work in print (or at least is less likely to work).

Dpi means "dots per inch", literally dots of ink per inch of paper. To print something an image should be at least 300dpi. This is especially important in the case of a QR code, as each of those black squares is an encoded bit of information.

I used this one. Had it done in green and had it printed on the back of my vistaprint postcards. The code scanned perfectly. I also printed a different one off which took people to a free prize draw page on my website and took it to an event I did. Again worked perfectly.

I don't know any of the technical things, but I was just advised to make sure you have the full white border showing and that you don't make the image too small.

Last edited:
That's what I'm saying- a 72dpi image will work on screen (i.e. if you hold your phone up to your monitor), but it won't work in print (or at least is less likely to work).

Dpi means "dots per inch", literally dots of ink per inch of paper. To print something an image should be at least 300dpi. This is especially important in the case of a QR code, as each of those black squares is an encoded bit of information.

Oh I see. Maybe I will print it and try it out. All this dpi business when printing will be the death of me lol x

Well- you can sometimes get away with it if its going to be small- but its like saying you can cut someones hair with garden shears....its possible, but it could go wrong as well, so you might as well do something properly- as you won't know until you get your printing back! :)

Pinterest is a great way to promote your business, in fact we know that beauty, hair and nail based pictures are among some of the most repinned topics.

There is a free Pinterest webinar happening on 15th November at 7pm.

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7819252053860558592

There is lots of great stuff on it, including how to get pins to direct people back to your website or facebook page.

Dont worry if you cant make it live, sign up anyway and you will get sent a recording of the webinar.

Happy Pinning!

Last edited:
Sorry if this sounds a bit daft, but I made a website on moonfruit....however, I'm not very tech savvy so I'm not sure how to get my name on the list if someone googles "beauty therapist, Glasgow"..

Help?!

Hi all,

Having had a few messages about the Pinterest webinar I posted about (and a good few of you have signed up, should be a good crowd from the hair and beauty industry!). I know that a number have a few questions about Social Media Marketing more generally, ie how to use Facebook, twitter etc to boost your business profile.

We are doing a free online training session this Wednesday (7th) at 7pm, loads of free advice, tips and guidance on the things you can implement to help.

For anyone that's interested, get yourself over to https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/3265081488045779968

If, for any reason, you cant attend on the night, dont worry. Still sign up and we can send you a recording of the session.

Hope that helps, please feel free to message me if I can help in anyway.

Think is saw something on here a out sending group emails to clients (mail shots?) now I can't find it! I think someone put a link to a website that helps you set it up? Confused lol. Can anyone point me in the right direction? X

Latest posts

Back