Mortified-greenie

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily S

Cheap ain't nice and nice ain't cheap <3
Reaction score
A client who has been coming to me for about 4 sets of nails (infills included) has just sent me this picture.

I am absolutely mortified. I have never had this happen before and I'm generally confident with my work.

Is this only due to a 'lift' not being filed out sufficiently or could it be something she's done? :(

What can she do to get her nail back to it's original healthy state... Yes, she pulled them off but I'm concerned about the greenie and mortified that this has happened :(

Attachments

• 1473199816812.jpg
    1473199816812.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
It has happened because the nail lifted and bacteria has got caught in an airless environment underneath the nail enhancement.

There are 2 possible causes, either you didn't file away the lifted material at a rebalance and sealed bacteria in there with new product OR the client had severe lifting allowing the nail to pop up when under pressure and seal bacteria in underneath the nail when the nail is not under pressure

As I'm sure you are already aware , once the bacteria comes into contact with air it is no longer able to survive, it is already dead. However your client will be left with a stain that will have to grow out.

It is also perfectly safe to cleanse the nail and apply another nail over it.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated! Shall be sure to get her booked in and sorted to cover this up, I'm so embarrassed - not something I've ever had!

Was there no sign of it at her previous infill? I've not personally had this happen to me or a client, but I have seen another nail tech this has happened to, it just wasn't so dark and big, only slightly green between a 2 week infill, and on the side where it had lifted, then the lady decided to superglue it down!! I guess what I'm asking is how quickly it developed? Or do you use cover pinks and didn't notice? Looks like she must of caught it and had severe lifting at some point between coming to appointments to see you

Was there no sign of it at her previous infill? I've not personally had this happen to me or a client, but I have seen another nail tech this has happened to, it just wasn't so dark and big, only slightly green between a 2 week infill, and on the side where it had lifted, then the lady decided to superglue it down!! I guess what I'm asking is how quickly it developed? Or do you use cover pinks and didn't notice? Looks like she must of caught it and had severe lifting at some point between coming to appointments to see you
I use cover pinks and genuinely didn't notice which is why I'm mortified, if I ever saw a picture like this previously I would say it was from lots of badly done infills, I'm so shocked it's happened this badly in what I think is a short space of time :( xx

I had a client like this once but was baffled cause definitely had no lifting. When looking closer at the nail her actual nail had lifted off the nail bed and the green was underneath her nail. She had caught the acrylic causing her nail bed to lift so think the bacteria got under her nail in between her nail bed and natural nail and wasn't to do with the acrylic application if that makes sense.

That's a pretty big greenie. Is your client a hairdresser by any chance

Looking at where the greenie is I would say that it occurred due to lifting and you not noticing due to using a cover pink.

I have one client in particular who has bitten her nails to bleeding state she admits can't stop chewing she actually cracks her own tips , so to avoid this I use forms and this helps but as her own nails are so corrugated it easily can get moisture if she chewed and it got a minor crack , which could also happen in this picture she sent you.

What my client does is she soaks nail in baby sterility formula (as she has little kids so it's readily available) and it helps to stain nail back normal again. It literally only happens to her and it would be a family member as well [emoji85].

looking at that picture this 'greenie ' has been there for quite some time . The darker the 'stain ' the longer it has been there and a greenie this dark would not just have happened from one appt to another assuming she comes to every 3 weeks

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

She's a pot washer so frequently got hands in water, I still feel mortified about it!

I'm mortified due to the darkness & size of it and definitely feeling like I should have seen it sooner.. She had 4 appointments with me each with a 3-4 week gap. I shall be being extra vigilant with infills from now onwards.

Thanks for the replies.

She's a pot washer so frequently got hands in water, I still feel mortified about it!

I'm mortified due to the darkness & size of it and definitely feeling like I should have seen it sooner.. She had 4 appointments with me each with a 3-4 week gap. I shall be being extra vigilant with infills from now onwards.
Just gently push down on the free edge, you'll see if any gaps appear at the sides or cuticle area, obviously this won't help you to see any pocket lifting occurring in the middle, and don't push down hard as you don't want to make any lifting worse or cause damage, and it probably should have been picked up sooner but we live and we learn from mistakes, and bet you won't miss any lifting again! x

Just gently push down on the free edge, you'll see if any gaps appear at the sides or cuticle area, obviously this won't help you to see any pocket lifting occurring in the middle, and don't push down hard as you don't want to make any lifting worse or cause damage, and it probably should have been picked up sooner but we live and we learn from mistakes, and bet you won't miss any lifting again! x
I blooming hope not, it's made me feel like a newbie all over again questioning my work :(

Latest posts

Back