Most popular nail services ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TanAngel

Reaction score
Hi geeks

Iv searched high and low for the answer but cant find what Im looking for :(

So what I would like to no is what is your most popular nail service (eg. extension, natural overlays, acrylic, gel and brand that's most requested) ??

I currently do shellac & minx ( I LOVE !), but am wanting to add to my services.

Thankyou xx :)

L&p is still very popular where I am. Especially with younger clientel.:biggrin:

Shellac. That's about all I do anymore! :)

L&P - Tip & Overlay :)

Pedicures 40% of my business
Gelish 40% of my business
Normal polish manicures 20% of my business

I hardly ever get calls for L&P or hard gels.

My most popular treatment is definitely shellac, followed by L&P (tip and overlay and sculptured) x

Mine is shellac then minx xxx

Liquid & powder is the back bone of the enhancement industry.

I still do more of this as a custom blended solution / tip/ overlay or sculpt as needed.

Gel polish/ hybrid is really only a booming industry since shellac came out. It has changed the mainstay client into a regular service and created a whole new market and tech to meet it.

Having a range means you can help any client that walks in the door

Hths

Looks like I am following you around today Allen. :hug:

We still do predominantly liquids and powder and hard gel enhancements. We do a huge amount of new manicure clients who want Shellac and only Shellac :biggrin: We have a full time pedicurist too, so pedis are also a large proportion of the business.

To those who say they never get any call for enhancement services ... This is usually because you are not dedicated to doing them, or only really offer the easy option of painting nails. Since Shellac exploded onto the market the call for this service has been phenomenal from the sector of clients who never had their nails enhanced (huge market). This has prompted a correspondingly huge number of people to do courses in manicuring and all they do is this one service ... They will learn In time that they need to offer more.

Anyone who is an expert at doing enhancements will be busy doing enhancements, believe me! There is plenty of call for them ... But I would search out the experts in that treatment and not ask a manicurist to do them for me.

If manicuring and painting is your 'thing' then that is what you will do the most of .... My advice is don't paint yourself into a corner treatment-wise. Real nail technicians do it ALL!

Last edited:
I must say I was quite disappointed to read this. I am a REAL nail technical and believe I have a wealth of knowledge and ability, certainly more than a manicurist and yet I choose not to do enhancements. I believe that what ever we offer is a choice and if people are happy with our service and business is good then that doesnt make me any less a technician - I just know my Market.

I must say I was quite disappointed to read this. I am a REAL nail technical and believe I have a wealth of knowledge and ability, certainly more than a manicurist and yet I choose not to do enhancements. I believe that what ever we offer is a choice and if people are happy with our service and business is good then that doesnt make me any less a technician - I just know my Market.

Gilly you are a real tech and I'm sure your clients love you for your skill and knowledge. And your right that you know your market. But it is a new extension off the manicurist market...

A full service tech can deal with any client for any service. This is what Geeg means..

If one of my clients was on holiday and walked into your salon needing a custom rebalance could you help?

@Geeg .. I'm honored to have you follow me today... I've been following you my whole career (and sam of course...)

Of course and thanks.

It was perhaps the closing comment that implied that only real technicians can do it all. I appreciate that it is an extension of the manicure service but I'm not always sure it should be as simple as that given numerous threads on here that wouldn't be an issue if manicure service wasn't all some people knew. Wouldn't you agree?

I do agrees it's not as simple as a manicure. But I also remember a time when instead of gel polish questions the hot debates that raged were; nail polish brand that lasted longest and had best colour. Which top coat stayed stuck longest and which top coat was glossiest.
And of course what to do to strengthen weak nails...

I must be getting old...

Thus is true but what I see most of on geeks these days is lifting, peeling, adhesion, lamp and prep problems for semi permanent polishes - which wouldn't be such an issue for them had they the knowledge and experience that comes with being a trained and experienced nail technician IMHO. Feels like ground hog day!

I'm feeling decidedly old myself!

Apologies to the op for hijacking your thread, I shall get off my box now.

Of course and thanks.
It was perhaps the closing comment that implied that only real technicians can do it all. I appreciate that it is an extension of the manicure service but I'm not always sure it should be as simple as that given numerous threads on here that wouldn't be an issue if manicure service wasn't all some people knew. Wouldn't you agree?

I agree with you completely and none of my comments was meant personally. I think in fact you are agreeing with me!

I think that the reason there are so many issues here on salon geek with gel polishes (and don't take this personally) is because the people using them are NOT nail technicians ... They are not really even well trained manicurists! I would wager that 50% of all those starting colour coat services, dont really even know how to do a professional polish job. They are polishing like consumers polish and not like pros which is why they have SO many problems. Many have never bothered to take a class with the product they are using and come to salon geek to ask questions instead. Looking at salon geek posts you'd think every brand of colour uv cured polish peels and chips and shrinks and wrinkles as a normal thing!! Most of theses issues are application issues and most are all to do with polishing too thickly! If people were trained how to polish .... They wouldn't be having the problems !

The ones you never hear from on here, are mainly the full service technicians who just picked up Shellac (or a gel Polish) and simply romped away with it beause t hey are trained and experienced professionals and they know how to polish.

My point is that many have quickly jumped into the market on the back of colour services and they are neither experienced nor really trained to a high standard, which is why they are experiencing service breakdown.

I personally think just offering one service is very limiting business-wise and as a business person who is in business to make a living and not just a little extra ... I would never put all my eggs into one basket as I do not believe it is a smart business decision. I suppose it all depends on ones motivation and ones ambition as to how far one goes and how much dedication is made. We all are different and have different needs.

Last edited:
I get more calls for waxing than nail enhancements even though I never advertise that I do waxing (which I don't).

I have asked my regular clients if they would be interested in this service and the ones who currently have waxing done said definitely! As I am mobile they would love to have a mani and wax at the same time, at home.

Therefore, off to waxing school I go!

I remember a time when instead of gel polish questions the hot debates that raged were; nail polish brand that lasted longest and had best colour. Which top coat stayed stuck longest and which top coat was glossiest.
[FONT=&#23435]
g.gif
[/FONT][FONT=&#23435][/FONT]​

I don't mean to be rude but I've noticed a few threads from you today, where you have copied and pasted someone else's post and added a box to your post with a ? in it? Why??!

I don't mean to be rude but I've noticed a few threads from you today, where you have copied and pasted someone else's post and added a box to your post with a ? in it? Why??!

It is Allens post that has been copied ... Not sure why either! Your point is, Annie?

she has now deleted her post...or someone has

to OP - I offer a range of different manicure services, but by far my most requested is Brisa Gel Full Sculpt.

While I'm not a real nail tech I'm trying to learn to be. In Illinois USA a Cosmetology license lets me do nails as well as most other beauty services. I take classes whenever i can, an have a nail trainer to practice getting up to salon speed. I've done manis, pedi for many years and simply cant find a nail tech. to offer the other nails enhancements. The local hair school no longer offers the nail course and hasn't for 6-7 years. The few techs left around are happy where they are or have let their licences lapse. Many clients are going to the malls to the nails done, cause there's no where else to go. 'm trying to reinvent myself and be able to offer the full service offerings that you mentioned. This forum has absolutely the best info. available on the net.
I have just finished my first hard gel client yesterday, and I've been doing the gelish for about 2 months with no issues. My latest challenges are the sculpted gels, its the hardest thing so far. I hope to become a real tech. with more classes and experience.

Latest posts

Back