Most profitable treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karmin

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am an HND qualified beauty therapist, and have worked in a small salon as well as working in a Clarins skin spa. I have been out of the industry for a few years now but have been lucky enough to inherit a little money, and am thinking of going back into beauty and setting up my own business/salon. I don't want to overface myself initially and will go and do some refresher training to update my skills, but what do you find are your most requested treatments that are your "bread and butter" that I should initially concentrate on before building up and diversifying over time?

Lash extensions are big right now

Waxing is profitable good luck

At my salon it’s waxing and nails (gel fingers and toes predominantly)

Waxing is my most profitable treatment, nails are my “waste of time” treatment

Gel polish manicures and traditional pedicures are your bread and butter treatments but body massage makes the most profit per treatment

Waxing particularly intimate. I charge £30 for a Brazilian and can do 2 an hour. I also do a lot of bespoke facials at £92 for 75 minutes.

Vic x

Waxing particularly intimate. I charge £30 for a Brazilian and can do 2 an hour. I also do a lot of bespoke facials at £92 for 75 minutes.

Vic x
What are the bespoke facials you do? Do you find best targeting to certain skin concerns e.g. acne? X

What are the bespoke facials you do? Do you find best targeting to certain skin concerns e.g. acne? X

We do whatever is needed. I have a few machines and they're all booked out to ensure the client gets the pick of them. I tend to always use my Dermalux machine and my environ machine x

Hair Extensions x

Waxing and brows and skin are always my bread and butter, year round rebooking. Nobody wants hair or spots anytime of year, everything else is more seasonal.

Id recommend spending time focusing on your nails and/or waxing skills. These are treatments where you talk to clients and establish a rapport and you can up and cross sell into other treatments. Set up costs for these treatments is quite modest unlike facials where you have to invest quite a bit initially.

You can earn a lot of money on waxing. Clients will return especially if you do intimate waxing - you should see a Hollywood client 10-12 times a year so their business is worth a lot to you.

You need to do some research in your local area visit a few businesses and form some sort of opinion about what is done well and where there might be unfilled demand.

I started my business whilst I was still studying. I focused on pedis - because most of the beauty salons had very poor facilities for pedicures and charged nearly double the rate in the Asian nail bars, the Asian bars had invested in Pedi thrones and painted nails beautifully but the hygiene standards and customer care standards were poor. I set my prices at just above the charges of the Asian nail bars, and invested just a little bit more thought and money than the other beauty salons, who'd pretty much just bought a footbath from Argos and then put their clients in a cold draughty corner of their salon, on a hard and uncomfortable chair.

I put a bit of love and effort into making my client comfortable and creating a bit of an experience - I reasoned that there would be a fair number of clients who liked the idea of a pedi and fancied going somewhere a bit more upmarket than the Asian nail bars that had introduced them to the pleasures of a professional pedi but for whom the price jump and drop in comfort in the local beauty salons (who obviously didn't want the business) was too much of a stretch.

It seems to me that a small home based garden room is the best set up overall in terms of quality of work/home life and
profitability.

Latest posts

Back