Motorway middle lane hogging, fines?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley Blakemore

The Beauty Room
Reaction score
I have just read this online that if your a middle lane hogger you can get a fine for dangerous driving!? Im sorry but could someone please tell me why it is sooo dangerous!? I confess i am very guilty of this, but i don't like going into the fast lane because i don't like going too fast but before you know it you have some maniac doing 100+ up your backside flashing!! And if your on the left you either have to slow down or get into the middle lane to let cars onto the motorway, so you end up in the middle anyway! Im just annoyed and confused!

Everyone should drive on the inside lane & use the other too to overtake. I like the idea of having a trucks/under 60 lane, a 70 lane & a try not to kill yourself lane :)) x

I am fast lane driver because i believe its the safest lane on the motorway, you only have traffic coming at you from one side, the slower lane is the most dangerous as you have oncoming traffic lots of movement from traffic coming off and going back into the left, The middle lane needs to be clear because at junctions with traffic coming on from the left, the drivers in the slow lane often need to move right into the centre lane to allow safe entry onto the motorway for those joining the carriage way, if the middle lane is blocked with middle lane cruisers, it causes accidents , I tend to hog the fast lane and dip into the middle to allow cars to pass, and then back in the fast lane. :D:D

I am fast lane driver because i believe its the safest lane on the motorway, you only have traffic coming at you from one side, the slower lane is the most dangerous as you have oncoming traffic lots of movement from traffic coming off and going back into the left, The middle lane needs to be clear because at junctions with traffic coming on from the left, the drivers in the slow lane often need to move right into the centre lane to allow safe entry onto the motorway for those joining the carriage way, if the middle lane is blocked with middle lane cruisers, it causes accidents , I tend to hog the fast lane and dip into the middle to allow cars to pass, and then back in the fast lane. :D:D

Yes that makes sense! Im starting to get it, but i think i would use the fast lane a bit more if people didn't drive 100+ and were a bit safer! When i started driving i was nervous, me and my husband went to the trafford centre for me to get used to motorways. He was supervising me, and he is a fast lane white van man driver! It was quiet so i decided to get into the fast lane, then out of nowhere there was this maniac chav up my backside flashing me, so i moved over asap but he passed me, spun into the middle lane infront of me and slammed his brakes on!! Then drove off at 100+, my husband told me to chase him so he could batter him or something but i was so shaken up at nearly being killed i just drove 70 the rest of the way!! I dont like being bullied into going 100 when I'm in the fast lane, so i rarely use it!

I too prefer the fast lane, i keep an eye on my back mirror incase someone is wanting to over take me, i get annoyed with the lorries taking over each other & taking forever in the middle lane.

But I would like to know, how are they going to fine you? As long as you are going faster than the inside lane, surely you are classed as over taking?

I have seen some middle lane hoggers driving at 60 or under & it does annoy me, esp if the left hand lane is clear. I just don't know how they are going to catch you or class them as mid lane hoggers?

Any one know? :) xx

Isn't it much more sensible to make the 'rules of the motorway' compulsory in lessons. I.e having to pass your test on a motorway as well as roads?
Yes middle lane hoggers are a pain but isn't it because they don't know the correct way to drive on the motorway?!

The rules of the motorway are quite simple - you stay in the inside left lane unless overtaking or making way for traffic joining the motorway

This is a fundamental rule and should be observed

If everyone observed this then you would not get the hold ups you do now

It's so frustrating and dangerous when you come across a middle lane hogger. People should do the decent thing and take extra lessons to build their confidence up if that is what their particular issue is. Sometimes I have seen the whole lane discipline turn on it's head. :irked:

Whilst we're on it, what about roundabout drivers talking up the WHOLE of the roundabout?!
😵

Whilst we're on it, what about roundabout drivers talking up the WHOLE of the roundabout?!
😵

Or worse still - the ones who have no idea what an indicator is!?

Isn't it much more sensible to make the 'rules of the motorway' compulsory in lessons. I.e having to pass your test on a motorway as well as roads?
Yes middle lane hoggers are a pain but isn't it because they don't know the correct way to drive on the motorway?!
This sounds good in theory but it wouldn't work for people who live in remote areas that don't have motorways anywhere near them.

This is so annoying!! I literally give death threats out the window to these people... xx

And even worse, the ones who indicate correctly as they enter the roundabout to turn right, but don't change it before they leave it!

Well to be perfectly honest, half the people on the roads don't know how to drive properly! It drives me nuts the amount of people who can't be bothered to indicate, who break because there is the slightest curve to the road, who use the middle lane all the way down so you are forced into the outside lane to get round them whilst the inside lane is clear, who don't give way at roundabouta causing you to stop dead in your tracks right in the middle of the roundabout.

The list is endless. I honestly think people should be retested every 10 years, if they don't drive properly then they should have their licence revoked.

I love driving, but not when there's other cars on the road who don't drive safely. At least I always know my horn is working... ;) x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

This sounds good in theory but it wouldn't work for people who live in remote areas that don't have motorways anywhere near them.

There is always a motorway close by or they could have extended lessons to incorporate this.x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

We were driving down the M3 the other day and the amount of people that you just knew were on their phones was scarey. Also, one plonker was sat quite happily (selfishly) in lane 3 when an all sirens and lights blazing emergency vehicle came up behind them. They still sat there and sat there and sat there. Then, you could see the moment that they became aware because they literally threw their car into lane 2 almost driving into someone.

When my other half does his persuit updates, they have this happen to them all the time. People have absolutely no awareness of what is going on around them, even with all the lights and sirens. It actually beggers belief.

Last edited:
I would be delighted if lane hoggers were fined. It is so dangerous, beyond frustrating and if you don't understand driving rules & codes - you are unsafe on the roads.

the amount of times i have had to go from the 'slow lane' all the way over to the 'fast lane' and back in to the 'slow lane' because some idiot is sat in the middle lane for no reason. It is dangerous because i have so many times just carried on down the slow lane with a middle lane hogger next to me (because there is NOTHING around us) and they have swerved back in at me. Not only should they be fined they should also be made to go on a motorway safety course. The first thing my dad did when i learnt to drive was find the nearest motorway and teach me how to use it.

edit: haha sorry that was a major rant, but my dads ex fire brigade so spent majority of his job scraping people off the motorway so road safety is drilled into my head :wink2:

Last edited:
I now understand why people think it is dangerous but i think there are more dangerous things on the motorway! Like drivers in front who brake unnecessarily at high speeds, that is dangerous! And drivers who are in the fast lane and are about to miss their junction so swerve all lanes just to get off, just get off at the next junction and work it out! Its not worth peoples lives!

Then drove off at 100+, my husband told me to chase him so he could batter him or something but i was so shaken up at nearly being killed i just drove 70 the rest of the way!!

What is the speed limit on the motorway anyway? ;)

Latest posts

Back