Motorway middle lane hogging, fines?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do! :)
Just referring to Mrsblakemore post, when she said that she was so shaken up at nearly being killed and just drove 70 the rest of the way... :D

As a long time biker I've learned to ride defensively; to most road users we're invisible.

Middle lane hoggers should very definitely be fined.
If you are troubled by cars in front braking too hard, you're driving too close to them.
The speed limit on ALL THREE lanes on a motorway is 70mph; the notion of a "fast" lane or "slow" lane is specious.
If you aren't comfortable driving on a motorway then you have no business being there.
And finally:
A driving licence is a privilege, not a right.

I love going out on the bike, but would be convinced I would be brown bread if we took it on the motorway.

I hate it when cars drive too close behind because I think if we got knocked off we may survive that, but this idiot behind is probably going to run us over anyway :irked:

I mostly drive in the middle lane but i don't hog it. If the left lane is clear I'll drive in that but normally it moves too slow.

Can't stand when the right lane is clear, left lane isn't and some impatient a.hole is up my arse flashing me to move over. They get the bird.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Middle lane hoggers should very definitely be fined.
If you are troubled by cars in front braking too hard, you're driving too close to them.
The speed limit on ALL THREE lanes on a motorway is 70mph; the notion of a "fast" lane or "slow" lane is specious.
If you aren't comfortable driving on a motorway then you have no business being there.
And finally:
A driving licence is a privilege, not a right.

Here here!!

It is clear from this thread that many people who use a motorway do not know how to drive properly on one. That's why they are worthy of a fine-maybe then they'll bother to learn correctly!

I do not care what cars in front are doing, I leave enough stopping distance to not have to slam on just because the car in front does. There is one driving lane, the other two are overtaking lanes! If it is such a chore then take the train people!

Grr...

Just want to add that not only will they be bringing in fines for middle lane hoggers but for those idiots that intimidate you on the motorway. It winds me up when I'm driving down motorway trying to pass traffic in the outside lane and some idiot screams up from nowhere flashing lights and beeping at me to pull over especially when that just is not possible to do safely!

Yes motorway lessons in theroy are a good idea but for the likes of Wales is just not practical when we have one motorway and that is in the south!

I do think more should be done with regards to driving in general and things associated with it as it seems once some people are given their license they deem it their right to drive how ever they want in which ever way they want and with phone in hand too!!

Dangerous driving is not impressive and neither is speed, they both kill when in the wrong hands!

Sorry for long rant but I have been fighting for years for something to be done in my area as its only a matter of time before a child is killed god knows how it hasn't happened already cause there have been many close calls! And went off topic sorry :(

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek

I do hate middle lane drivers! I actually found this out on this website I've put below. It gives you a good weekly bulletin on roads. Not sure if many of people with businesses on here need fuel cards, but it's a useful weekly post :)

There's a cool thing on new hologram road signs too.

UK Fuel Cards Bulletin: Bus emissions, fuel sales and spot penalties

I'm guilty of using the middle lane. I drive from Cheshire to Berkshire return about one a month. The left lane is chocker block full of lorries and too slow. The far right lane is mental with drivers exceeding the speed limit by over 30 miles per hour. Where the hell am I suppose to drive where I'm safe?

In my defence, we never covered motorways in my driving lessons or exam.:o

Just an example, when driving on a motorway in Europe you will never see cars taking up all 3 lanes. Everyone goes in a middle lane or a left lane only when they have to overtake someone. Everyone follows this rule so I have always been puzzled by why it is so messy on UK motorways. In UK you can get 3 cars driving one in each lane and all three driving at the same speed. How do you get passed them?
Hopefully the fines will bring some sort of order on UK motorways.

Mobile Manicure

If there are cars & lorries driving at say 60mph in the left lane then yes you can drive in the middle lane so long as your going faster than they are as you are overtaking those cars in the left lane BUT when the left lane becomes empty because you have passed all the cars & lorries you MUST pull into that lane and continue to drive there. If you then arrive behind a car or lorry going slower than you, you can overtake that car/lorry in the middle lane and then go back into the left lane as soon as you can do so safely. If there are middle lane hoggers driving in that middle lane it makes overtaking harder and you end up waiting ages to pull out and join the middle lane to get past the slower drivers.

You don't cover motorway driving on lessons as you are not allowed to drive on the motorway until after you have passed your test. There are advanced driving courses you can take to learn more things like night driving and motorway driving etc.. but these are optional extra courses.

Thanks Baggybear. So what is the right hand lane for then? Overtaking the middle lane who are overtaking the left lane, oh it's just all too much. I tend to drive in the right hand lane and move over to the middle when someone comes up behind me and then move back. :o

You should be driving in the furthest left lane, only moving out to the lanes to the right of it to overtake, then move back again.

Thanks Baggybear. So what is the right hand lane for then? Overtaking the middle lane who are overtaking the left lane, oh it's just all too much. I tend to drive in the right hand lane and move over to the middle when someone comes up behind me and then move back. :o
Ok lets say there is a car towing a trailer in the left lane going at 55mph (max speed while towing is 60mph). Then in the middle lane is a bus overtaking the car & trailer going at 60mph (with a limiter fitted so he can't go over 60mph but he is going faster than the car & trailer). Then you would move out to the right hand lane to overtake the bus at 65mph and then move back in to the middle lane and in again to the left lane if it was safe to do so.

It's just too much changing lanes which I feel is dangerous. Isn't it better to just stick to one lane? When I passed my test I didn't drive on the motorway for 2 years. When I finally did hubby said that the left lane is for the slow drivers, the middle to overtake them and the right is the fast lane. Just stay in there and put your foot down!! :o

With respect, your husband is wrong.
Might I suggest that you invest in some motorway driving lessons? It would most definitely help with your understanding of lane discipline, and would afford you some much needed confidence.
Again, there is only one speed limit on a motorway - 70mph, unless advised otherwise by the overhead signs.
There is no such concept as a "fast" or "slow" lane.

Yes, it would appear that what I have believed all these years is indeed wrong. Next time I drive down to Newbury (i'll give you advance warning so you can stay off the roads) I am going to follow these new rules (new to me) and see how I get on. :D

Mobile Manicure
If you want to go in one lane and stay there then you need to be in the left lane and drive at the same speed as the cars in front of you.

This may be as slow as 50/55mph. If you want to drive faster than the cars in the left lane are going then you need to follow the rules I have said above - go in to the middle lane, pass the cars/lorries/busses etc.. then go back to the left lane.

Latest posts

Back