Moved & starting afresh - feeling down

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautifulnails1

Reaction score
Hi All

Ive recently moved (hubby military) thats why i trained in nails to take with me. However, did post a couple weeks back about a job that had to do a trade test for - went rubbish for many reasons. Not my fault i hasten to add.

Anyway, due to the fact we live in a village they are the one salon that dominate the clientele round here. I do offer Bio which they dont - they only really do acrylics. Where as i do acrylic nsi and gel plus biosculpture.

But my problem is i cant afford the new leaflets and business cards to promote myself and just feel really down about it. Where i moved from I had good regular clients and money coming in but since the move nothing.

Do i give up and find a diff job or just persevere?????

please help.

Why does everything have to cost so much to do? This is me just ranting really im stuck in jan with no clients and dont know what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried Vista print, you can get some postcards printed very reasonably, even free sometimes, only paying the postage.

Hi,

Well,the best advertising is free advertising,and talk is cheap! LOL!!

chin up babes!! and get chatting to people,tell them you do nails, talk to people at bus stops,in shops,schools,church,florists, butchers,library anywhere! i dont know, where ever you go, talk, let people know what you do. Start networking!
Is there any shops etc that you could put a little hand written card in?

Is there a bridal shop near you? you could maybe offer to do the owners nails at discount, in return her recommending you?

And as Fiona said, vista print are very good!
I thought they were a con at first, they were so cheap, i go post it pads, note pads, pens,cards, all sorts for around £20!! And they were delivered fairly quickly.
Hope you start to feel a little better soon,and the fact that theres is 1 main salon in that area is fab! means theres not too much comp,plus you offer something they dont,I bet theres a real niche for a mobile in that area, disable people who find it difficult getting out, mums, who find it hard getting a sitter, so they can pop to the salon, or people who just prefer someone to go to them, so keep positive : )
Kate xx

Start by doing an add for the local barraks shop, most londis/spa's are free. Then do a facebook page. Even add the facebook page to your shop advert stating 'Find me on Facebook' so people can search for your page to have a look at some of your work.

Word will get around eventually, i would say stick with it (if you can afford too) and talk to everyone you know. Get hubby to take in a couple of printed flyers to hand out to his mates for their wifes, maybe offering a small discount for your regiment.

Vista Print are brill. You get 250 basic business cards free only paying for the postage. If i recall correctly i think i've had other batches for free too choosen from the free section. It only gets expensive if you start choosing the other nicer designs which are not free and start with the advanced editing.

Print out some flyers yourself and do a leaflet drop on your street. You don't need many to start off with, then has you build up and start getting some cash through, you can put some aside for advertising. xx

Edited to add; You could even set up a free website. There are lots for free. I used freewebs to start off with. They are really easy to do. xx

HI just cos there the only salon in this village doesnt mean that everyone likes going there or indeed happy with the service they are giving. Try to offer something different to what they are doing, but be prepared they probably will try to copy you when they hear of anything new. Vistaprint is excellant, they do business cards and a magnet that sticks to the side of your car, get one for hubbies car as well, do lots of promotions, introduce a friend, loyalty cards and discounts. Paint the town your colour and let them know that your there to stay !!

There are many free print options, but what about offering a military wife deal? Maybe do out a discount card for the women in your shoes, not only should it bring in some new faces, but a good way to start off with some common ground between you! Don't give up, just keep at it!!!

Have you checked out Lynne Baker's thread on networking and promoting your business? There are tonnes of ideas on there, lots of them free.

How about offering gift vouchers at a discounted rate, that the 'soldiers' can buy via hubby as gifts for their partners/wifes? Any that are posted overseas, could do this via paypal even, giving you the wifes details to contact them.

Local NAAFI, and spar shop. Are there any groups for military personnels partners? Schools? How about doing a free set for local barmaid, post office, bank teller, on proviso you leave cards that they can pass out, when anyone asks where they had their gorgeous nails done ;)

Speak to hubby, tell him, you're struggling for ideas, and see if he can come up with anything?

Don't give up, if you love doing nails :D
Good luck x

THANKYOU

All of you thankyou, I guess i just need a good kicking up the arse. I love doing nails and the satisfaction on peoples faces.
Ive been onto vista done my leaflets, biz cards, promo cards.

Bring it on.
Thanks again. Heres to a successful move and big step for 2011.
I hope all of you have the same.
Honestly Thanks....

THANKYOU

All of you thankyou, I guess i just need a good kicking up the arse. I love doing nails and the satisfaction on peoples faces.
Ive been onto vista done my leaflets, biz cards, promo cards.

Bring it on.
Thanks again. Heres to a successful move and big step for 2011.
I hope all of you have the same.
Honestly Thanks....

:green: That's more like it!! Good luck sweetie, I'm sure things will get better this year :hug:

Hi,

Well,the best advertising is free advertising,and talk is cheap! LOL!!

chin up babes!! and get chatting to people,tell them you do nails, talk to people at bus stops,in shops,schools,church,florists, butchers,library anywhere! i dont know, where ever you go, talk, let people know what you do. Start networking!
Is there any shops etc that you could put a little hand written card in?

Is there a bridal shop near you? you could maybe offer to do the owners nails at discount, in return her recommending you?

And as Fiona said, vista print are very good!
I thought they were a con at first, they were so cheap, i go post it pads, note pads, pens,cards, all sorts for around £20!! And they were delivered fairly quickly.
Hope you start to feel a little better soon,and the fact that theres is 1 main salon in that area is fab! means theres not too much comp,plus you offer something they dont,I bet theres a real niche for a mobile in that area, disable people who find it difficult getting out, mums, who find it hard getting a sitter, so they can pop to the salon, or people who just prefer someone to go to them, so keep positive : )
Kate xx

nicley said Kate!!! I agree with all ( vista print little darlings!!) falling that go to pub + have a drink+ (that will make you talk to newbie people!) and drunkenly tell whole pub what you do!!! lol (not suggesting this for real but thought might cheer you up xxx

nicley said Kate!!! I agree with all ( vista print little darlings!!) falling that go to pub + have a drink+ (that will make you talk to newbie people!) and drunkenly tell whole pub what you do!!! lol (not suggesting this for real but thought might cheer you up xxx
LMAO, you should see me on a Friday night in the local pub ;)

Facebook is great for advertising and is free. Tagging people in your pictures will advertise on their friend's lists.

Also, check with your local printers before going with vistaprint. You just MIGHT find the deal I did, close to you.

I got 6000 (YES SIX THOUSAND) cards printed, designed by me, 2 sides colour at a local shop. Add up the shipping for 'free' cards to reach 6000 and see where you end up? AND those are one-sided cards at vista. Mine are TWO SIDED

Hi Sweetie, def go with Vistaprint - they do postcards which you can also use as your price list - double them over and they will fit neatly into your clients purse!!

Good luck x

Relocating can be hard, I just did it myself right before xmass,
once word goes around other wife's, family and military personnel I'm sure you will get customers,
is there some local free add , classified type sites you can put adverts on to?
this is what I have done, and its been fab so far, I started off with an advert introducing my self and my services with a few pics ,

then did individual adverts for different treatments , IE ; shellac , manicure , acrylic , retail , minx etc ..... by doing this people that want the exact treatment will contact you , seems to cut out the time wasters to.

I did print out some cards just cheap $10 black and white ones with my mobile , e mail and website on them
I have most of them still I have given a few to clients to pass on but for the most part i have kept the rest . as the clients gained from free adds have me slightly overwhelmed ,

valentines day is coming why not offer some Valentine specials ? maybe free mini pedi with every luxury manicure? or free nail art ,

face book page will help alot ,
I dont know if you have a copy or can get one but in nails magazine November 2010 PG 114 they had a grate article in it that would give you alot of ideas it was 25 things to get you started type of article , it was aimed at booth renters but you could easily apply it to any ,

I wont write the whole thing up but the sub titles wear like this;

1 know your product
2 do your nails
3 follow up with a call ,
4 be available
5 update status on business web site daily
6 be accommodating
7 carry your appointment book with you
8 give out mobile number
9 communicate with co workers (I made this other pro locals hair, make up etc )
10 business cards
11 offer a guarantee thats reassuring and specific
12 pick a high profile location
13 be patient
14 go out and introduce your self
15 hit the market / shops
16 work as a team (N/A if like me your solo lol )
17 think of success as tearms of building loyalty not just money
18 hold a drawing (AKA raffle / prize draw )
19 visit local businesses
20 visit local hotels
21 facebook
22 be "liked" (raffle and face book combo )
23 network
24 offer help at non proffit events
25 be flexible ,

Latest posts

Back