Moving Abroad!!??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it sounds like a fantastic opportunity, and something that I would have loved to do when I was younger and had fewer responsibilities here (like a husband and two kids). I'm Canadian but moved to the UK 10 years ago and while a lot of people thought I was nuts, it was the best thing I've ever done and have no regrets.

I visited Oman and Dubai a few years ago and can concur with other posters here that women are treated differently than men. I don't know about whether or not you'd have to wear a veil as a westerner, but you'd be expected to follow a modest form of dress and there's lots of little "rules" that aren't immediately apparent. Geeg's suggestion of finding a pool of western women to network with is fantastic - definately an important resource.

The differences between the well off and the poor are so dramatic in Oman. We stopped off at the most beautiful hotel I've ever seen (can't remember the name - sorry!) and then 5 minutes down the road we were in such a rough part of town. Squalid, really. My son was 6 months old, and we stopped at a roadside cafe for something to eat. I was desperate for a bathroom, and was directed to a shop across the street. I did my business, and as I was coming out, was accosted by a group of young male teenagers. I thought they were after my bag, but instead, they felt me up. I screamed at them and they ran away, but still - I probably would have felt better if they'd just made a move for my purse.

Anyway... off topic, sorry. Just go into it with open eyes, and take care of yourself along the way. I would imagine you'd be working in a pretty nice place (do you know where yet?) - would you have a chance to talk to people already working there?

Let us know how things go!!

i think you too should go for it! Find out all the details where your at do your research. Most important speak to those ladys geeg mentioned try and get their prespective on the life out there. Dont be af to ask questions hun!! Let us know what ever happens.
Good luck:hug::hug::hug::hug:

My advice is go for it, this experience is something that money cannot buy.

Life in the middle east is great, much better than in the UK. It hardly ever rains if at all.

There is rules when living in the middle east and they cannot be broken at all, but the pros outrun the negs

I have just come back from 3 months in Thailand, I am still wondering why I ever bothered to come back the only thing I can say is my 90 day visa ran out.

Sarahmarie, Did you decide what you are going to do? x

Go for it! If you need connections in the Middle East, I'd be happy to give you some names of technicians you can network with when you get there.

I'd say do it! If you hate it you can always come home if you live with your parents. You should give it a go, you will always wonder otherwise.

My friends partner has gone to Saudi to work with a couple of other guys from our town - its where the money is for them at the moment. He missed his daughters first birthday and christmas but there is facebook, webcams and email.

Good luck in whatever you decide xx :hug:

Latest posts

Back