Moving advice!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LayStar

<strong>Jugsy Geek</strong>
Reaction score
Hey Geeky Chichas (and chichos!!)

I am moving to Wales in just over 6 weeks, and am a little lost on what I need to do regarding notifying people ie bank etc.

Anyone fancy giving me a checklist of things I need to do? Not just about notifying the authorities, just any advice on moving would be fab!!

Also, is there anyone who's changed their name via deedpoll?? Cos I'm changing my surname soon, and would just like some feedback from anyone who's done it before.

Thankyou in advance :hug::green:

Hey Geeky Chichas (and chichos!!)

I am moving to Wales in just over 6 weeks, and am a little lost on what I need to do regarding notifying people ie bank etc.

Anyone fancy giving me a checklist of things I need to do? Not just about notifying the authorities, just any advice on moving would be fab!!

Also, is there anyone who's changed their name via deedpoll?? Cos I'm changing my surname soon, and would just like some feedback from anyone who's done it before.

Thankyou in advance :hug::green:

Can't help you with changing your name but you've come to the right girl for info on moving!!

People to inform:

TV Licence - 2 weeks before, as you will probably be paying for next years licence if paying by direct debit. They will pay you 2 months and then send you a form out to claim the rest.

Gas/Electric - 7 days before move with meter readings

Phone company - 2 weeks before, they will ask you a time and date you want calls to end.

Water board - 2 weeks before

Home contents insurance - you normally pay a month in advance, so cancel direct debit with bank, if not changing insurance company, check you are insured whilst in transit.

Notify banks and cancel all direct debits for bills at old address.

Doctors surgery, working families, child benefit office, inland revenue, will all (if applies) need to be told also.

Oh and don't leave the packing till last minute, pack a bit a day if you can and be ruthless!!

HTH Teri x:hug::hug:

What a clart I am, should have mentioned I live at home with my mum still at the moment so the only bill I pay is phone contract. I'm moving straight in with my boyfriend who already lives in Wales.

Do I need to notify the local council or anyone that I'm moving there?

Completely clueless, as you can tell!!

;)

If you want to vote the council will need to know that you are there.

Apart from that, I can't think of anything else!!

Teri x:hug:

What a clart I am, should have mentioned I live at home with my mum still at the moment so the only bill I pay is phone contract. I'm moving straight in with my boyfriend who already lives in Wales.

Do I need to notify the local council or anyone that I'm moving there?

Completely clueless, as you can tell!!

;)

If you are moving in with him, and he lives alone.. you need to inform the Council Tax as he will be getting a 25% reduction for living alone.

Also, get your name on the Electoral register.

Are you changing your surname to his?

Nooope, I'm changing my surname to my Stepdad's.

:)

I changed all my kids surnames to the name of my now hubby as they have no contact with my ex. I just went to our local CAB and changed in front of a justice of the peace and have a signed declaration to say this is now their new name. Everything is changed passports driving licence etc but birth certificate still had to stay in original name (Shame ) Not sure if this is the same for an adult as mine were all under age when I did it. Didn't cost a penny either. Good luck!

Hi
I did this many years ago for myself and my daughter when my first marriage ended.

I just spoke to my solicitor who arranged everything for me. I had to swear an Affidavit and they did the rest.

They then provided me with documents showing the change of names, in a legal format and then whenever proof of id was required for anything those documents along with birth certificate had to be produced.

It was very easy to do but I wouldn't know how much it would cost as I was a lone parent on benefits at the time so I didn't have to pay.

hth :hug:

Where are you moving to in Wales, I live in S.W Wales and will be of any assistance if you need it!! lol!! Lovely place but it dont half rain alot!!

I'm moving to Cardiff, Birchgrove area :)

Ok...I have no solicitor...I was gona do it through a Deedpoll office! We have on near by here, I presume this will be the same.

*hopes*!!

Ok...I have no solicitor...I was gona do it through a Deedpoll office! We have on near by here, I presume this will be the same.

Sounds like you're just bypassing the middle man and going straight to the expert!! Should be fine - good luck.:hug:

Hi,

I used UK Deed Poll when I changed my childrens surnames to my husbands in December. If you do it by email it will only cost you £14.99 and you can print off as many copies as you like, I did 5 for each child, which you then date and sign in front of a witness. The lady who was my witness is a client who is a teaching assistant.

To change their passport I only had to send the original passport along with an original of the deed poll.

I was going to use a solicitor but as I was working it was cheaper to do it the way I did. HTH's

Good Luck with your move.

Helen

Thanks for that website!!

I was looking at this site

UK Deed Poll Service - How to change your legal name by Deed Poll

The office is right near me, which is kind of handy. But it's cheaper and more convenient to apply online!!

Hiya hun

Yes, I've used these...when I got married I took my husbands name, but added my maiden name as a middle name as I never had one previously. They were very good, quick and efficient and I have never had any trouble with t he deed poll they issued for official documents. I also ordered 2 copies so send them away and therefore don;t have to part with my original

I have applied for a passport since and a new driving license and the copies were accepted each time no problem. Some of the independant deed poll companies apparantly can't guarantee their certificates will be accepted but UKDPS will sort it out for you if anyone tries refusing one of their documents.

i think you'll be fine with them...I'd certainly use them again.

Aw thanks Lyndsay daaarrling :D

Looks like I'm finally gona change my awful surname at last! LOL

xxxxxxxxx

The halifax gave me this list when i looked at getting a motgage - people to notify when u move - it had space to write the numbers at the side theres more then u think lol - but ive typed out for u

BUYING YOUR FIRST HOME - People to contact about your move

Your current landlord
Family
Friends
Employer
Bank
Building society
Insurance companies
Credit card companies
Store cards
Charge card companies
HM Revenue and Customs