Moving from Shellac to a longer lasting gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat Surrey

Reaction score
Hi. Please can anyone help? I have been a nail tech for 2 years and chose Shellac - which I love. However on and off over the last two years I have had problems with Shellac staying on for the 14+ days. I chose Shellac because I really like that you don't need to file the nail plate and therefore there is no damage to the nail plate and I have been standing by this, however again this week I have had 2 new clients where the Shellac has come off and I am loosing my confidence in the product being the right choice fir all. I am aware that it could be the client and that sometimes Shellac just doesn't suit some people, but we work so hard to attract new business and to loose new business when gel has successfully been applied on their nails previously elsewhere, is gutting. So I am thinking of extending into another range. Keeping Shellac for those clients it is working well with - but also offering another brand for those that maybe need something stronger. I have spoken to Sweet Squared so know that my routine is ok. I don't want to purchase a new lamp if I can avoid - and am thinking Vegan could be a good move. Can anyone recommend a great gel brand that I can add to my offerings that is reliable and long lasting, maybe Vegan?

Many thanks xxx

Hi Kat.

I have recently trained in CND Shellac as I too wanted something that offered a long lasting polish without damaging the nails. I really enjoyed the training & was so excited to start using the products.

However, I also have a few clients who just can’t seem to keep the Shellac on for any longer than a few days. After checking my prep & application and speaking to the CND educator I am confident that it is not me, but the clients nails.

I felt disheartened as I didn’t want to go back to using the Halo gel polish that I had been using, because even though it stayed on really well I just don’t want to file/buff the nail plate for application & removal.

So I did a bit of research and came across CND Creative Play Gel Polish. I had a chat with the educator again about how to add it to my menu alongside the Shellac (my concern was clients choosing the Creative Play over the Shellac which would then make the Shellac redundant, not great considering how much I have spent investing in it). The educator advised me to offer the Creative Play Gel for those clients with weak/damaged nails who can’t keep the Shellac on & then offer the Shellac for normal/strong/healthy nails etc. But to charge the same price for each of them so that they aren’t in competition, but instead are each catering to different clients/nail types.

And as they are both CND they are both compatible with the CND LED Lamp, meaning that they can be used as a full system rather than having to buy more lamps to go with the other gel polish brands.

I hope this helps!
Love Suzie x

I forgot to add that you don’t need to file/buff the nail plate with the CND Creative Play gel polish, just as you don’t with the CND Shellac. It just takes longer to remove, at least 20 minutes.

Suzie x

Suzie - thank you! I felt so deflated. The thought of moving on to a new brand has been sitting badly in my heavy heart. I really do like Shellac. I hadn't thought of looking at Creative Play. I sincerely cannot thank you enough. To know someone else is struggling is also reassuring.

The removal time is important - but a bigger plus is no damage.

I will research in the morning and order in some colours to try out. I hope you have a brilliant weekend. xx

Please could you share if you find anything vegan? I’m struggling in this one, Cussio are mostly however there are a few shades that are not so then becomes abit grey x

Please could you share if you find anything vegan? I’m struggling in this one, Cussio are mostly however there are a few shades that are not so then becomes abit grey x

Hi Yaisa - I saw an advert on Ellisons wholesalers website for vegan products. I don't think it was gel polish though.

Gel Perfection are a vegan brand. Have recently switched over to them from shellac as all my clients have become addicted & no one goes for shellac anymore.
Great colours too!
https://www.diamondglitters.co.uk/gel-perfection-128-c.asp

Thank you lady I will look into both, Researching vegan brands is proving harder than I first thought so thank you for your help x

Hi Kat Surrey.

I’m just checking in to see how you got on with the CND Creative Play Gel Polish? Do you find it better than the Shellac?

I hope all is going well!
Suzie x

The PRIMA gel polishes are vegan, cruelty free and hypoallergenic. Soak-off time is 10 to 12 minutes and the colours cover in one coat. You can also use them for nail art and one-stroke, so don't need to buy additional nail art gels or paints.

INK london are vegan and cruelty free ads all their products are made in the EU. I really recommend this brand and is a good switch from CND as the gel polishes are also hybrid. But the wear is excellent and they have numerous base coats to suit different nail types. The price point is also very appealing. They also have gorgeous glitters and foils. Hth

Magpie is vegan an cruelty free.

The PRIMA gel polishes are vegan, cruelty free and hypoallergenic. Soak-off time is 10 to 12 minutes and the colours cover in one coat. You can also use them for nail art and one-stroke, so don't need to buy additional nail art gels or paints.
Do you have a stockists in Australia or are we able to get it shipped to us directly?

TGB is Vegan I believe. Huge bottles and clients can go at least 3 weeks. xx

Hi Kat Surrey.

I’m just checking in to see how you got on with the CND Creative Play Gel Polish? Do you find it better than the Shellac?

I hope all is going well!
Suzie x

Hi Suzie

So I bought a few colours - and of course tried them myself! The curing time is different and I have adapted that - as the gel gets hot on your nail plate - unlike Shellac. For me they wear about the same. However I tried Creative Play on one of my ladies who has previously been unable to keep Shellac on and it worked a treat! I am so pleased.

Since the initial trials some of my Shellac clients have also tried Creative Play - and also found it about the same. Which I am pleased with.

So now when I buy I will be buying Creative Play as this will suit my Shellac clients too.

Regards to price point - I am going to charge the same as the removal time is longer and that is factored in to the whole treatment.

Thank you again for your recommendation.

I hope all is good with you?

Kindest regards.

Kat

TGB is Vegan I believe. Huge bottles and clients can go at least 3 weeks. xx

TGB is manufactured in China so the least likely brand to be Vegan.

In the EU there are regulations about animal testing etc, there is nothing like that in China.

The Gel Bottle are vegan and cruelty free and I can't fault them at all! I use this brand myself and have had some clients get 5+ weeks out of their manicure!

TGB is manufactured in China so the least likely brand to be Vegan.

In the EU there are regulations about animal testing etc, there is nothing like that in China.

From TGB website:

Are The GelBottle Inc products vegan?
Absolutely, no fur babies are ever harmed in any way during the production of TGB products.
We do not test on animals or use animal produce and we absolutely never will

;)

Thank you lady I will look into both, Researching vegan brands is proving harder than I first thought so thank you for your help x
Hi, Ink London is vegan x

The Gel Bottle are vegan and cruelty free and I can't fault them at all! I use this brand myself and have had some clients get 5+ weeks out of their manicure!
Hi can you please tell me how easy it is for a removal of TGB ? I'm opening a vegan salon and tried this brand loved it but struggled to remove and not happy about the manufacturing in China link . Thanks Karen

Latest posts

Back