Moving house-tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGordon91

Reaction score
I thought I'd ask how you all cope when moving? I could actually cry with how stressed I am! Do you have any tips? I have lists upon lists and bags up to my knees. I have sticky labels ready to be placed on things like "van" and "car" etc.

I am moving to basically my dream place. The landlord is fab and we might possibly have the option to buy the place off of him. I have the van booked for 8:30am Friday morning (I'll need numerous cups of tea) and its guys with a van which is a massive help because it's basically me and my other half and I'm a weakling lol. I thankfully don't need to hand my keys in till the I
23rd but want to be in by the weekend so we can get the place set up before my other half returns to work on the Monday and so I can deep clean the old house. And the sooner I can hand in the keys the less liability I have (all the better)

What has been my annoyance is I asked my mum for help weeks in advance. I told her I'd obviously need a hand because her car is bigger than most. So she said she would come over and stay last weekend and this weekend coming. I phoned her and I had excuses of the weather then she'll come over tomorrow.. Tomorrow came then she got up too late and wouldn't have time really to be of use cause shed need to get back to iron uniform for work. Now I'm not trying to sound ungrateful I appreciate she's up at silly am but I really needed her help. Then she said I'll come over tomorrow, meaning yesterday and then she had car issues. So now the van move is getting closer and she is coming over on Friday afternoon when the van is booked so early. I just really wanted it all to go smoothly and now I'm going to have to cram as much in to Friday because I'll then need to try and clear and clean the flat and hand over the keys. So, basically everything I was wanting and trying to avoid is happening. I did try to rope friends in but it comes at a price which is just more money out. I also have to try and find a new sofa because ours is well... Well you might as well sit on the floor it's more comfy let's put it that way lol. My other worry is that if I leave the other half in charge I'll have my shoes cello tapes to the ceiling or something 😂 well, not really ( I hope) but I'll not be able to find anything, order will not be a thing and folding stuff? Pfft forget it! So long as the stuff like the TV, hifi and cooker works and the dogs have somewhere to sleep then the place is "functional" 😩

I will end on a sunnier note, I can't complain much.. The house is semi detached, enough room to grow into and still be able to work from home. I have a massive back garden which leads onto a small field and I have three parks to walk my dogs in and even though I'm complaining as such, the plus side of everything being crammed into the weekend is it allows me the full week to go ahead with the appointments that I have booked in for things like sky, meter changes etc.

So any tips on surviving this? I don't think I have a wine class big enough to be honest 🍷

Just wanted to say good luck with the house move! I am moving house on Monday and only found out I got it yesterday morning so frantically trying to pack, I hadn't realised how much I had hoarded over the years 😂 currently having a quick tea break then back to packing, I have work tomorrow Friday and Saturday and an excited 5 year old, so I haven't much time left!! Hope it all runs smoothly for you xx

Hi I've moved 5 times in 6 years extremely stressful!!
The tips I picked up were
When I packed a box I wrote a list of everything in that box and taped it to it, this saved loads of time when I got to the new house.
Pack your tea coffee and kettle seperate and keep in your car not the moving van.
Pack heavy items like books with pillows, first time I moved I had to unpack boxes because I made them to heavy.
Pack all items you don't often use together and put a note on what's in them, so you won't be getting things out which are destined for the loft/garage.
Remember to take has electric metres readings at both places on the day of the move.
Good luck x

Just wanted to say good luck with the house move! I am moving house on Monday and only found out I got it yesterday morning so frantically trying to pack, I hadn't realised how much I had hoarded over the years 😂 currently having a quick tea break then back to packing, I have work tomorrow Friday and Saturday and an excited 5 year old, so I haven't much time left!! Hope it all runs smoothly for you xx

Thanks Jade! Hope your move goes smoothly! Sounds like you have a lot on your plate with moving too! It is like a chance to see how much you hoard lol. I've thrown out so much stuff. I've still got to pack stuff. I've got swollen glands now too and three rather unsettled dogs as I think they can sense something is happening. I'm glad I dye my hair or else you might be able to see my grey hair from stress lol hope all goes well for you lovely xxx

Hi I've moved 5 times in 6 years extremely stressful!!
The tips I picked up were
When I packed a box I wrote a list of everything in that box and taped it to it, this saved loads of time when I got to the new house.
Pack your tea coffee and kettle seperate and keep in your car not the moving van.
Pack heavy items like books with pillows, first time I moved I had to unpack boxes because I made them to heavy.
Pack all items you don't often use together and put a note on what's in them, so you won't be getting things out which are destined for the loft/garage.
Remember to take has electric metres readings at both places on the day of the move.
Good luck x

Such fabby tips!! Defiantly going to go about marking what I have left. And the tea one. 😍 don't think I'd survive without tea!

Thanks for all the tips they are so handy! Xx

Latest posts

Back