MP lobbies to ban MMA

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sals

Reaction score
OK troops. This is an article from The People newspaper today (I hasten to add I don't read it. A mate cut it out for me:green:). Maybe take some of it with a pinch of salt and also ignore any inaccuracies. I've quoted it word for word.

A powerful nail glue that causes rashes, blisters and headaches could be banned if an MP gets her way.

The gel, which contains the quick-setting chemical methyl methacrylate (MMA), is used to attach false nails at salons across the UK. But it can also tear off real nails if a woman catches her finger on a rough surface.

MMA - so strong it's used to make bulletproof glass - is banned in the the United States, Canada and New Zealand.

Many reputable nail bars in the UK will also have nothing to do with it.

But Labour MP and biochemist Dr Phyllis Starkey said: "It costs less than alternatives so it is used at the cheaper end of the market."

She has asked Health Minister Dawn Primarolo to ban the product. And Ms Primarolo admitted the Government had yet to assess it's effects on health.

Dr Starkey will now press for nail bars to be licensed in the same way as tattooists.

Now I don't know about you but I really like the sound of Dr Starkey. As an ex-Government bod I know that if a minister receives any form of correspondence it is always researched and replied to.

I think we should all back Dr Starkey and I would like your thoughts on the best way to do this.

I was thinking maybe a petition via e-mail with everyone on the site who is happy to put their name to it named. Obviously this will depend on the say so of Sam and the mods.

I'm really happy to organise this as, like I say, I'm really experienced in dealing with government bodies.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

Well done Sals! I would definately support this and would be happy to put my name to a petition.:)

Hi Sals, I would be interested in a petition. Wow if MMA got banned here that could really change the face of our industry. Imo anyway!

gel? Get the terminology right and there would be more support.

Also Licensing does nothing except cause headaches for the honest people who work legally IMO.

Sorry this may seem a negative post, it's not meant to be!

I think its about time the Government took this seriously and I would definitely be up for petitions or whatever else helps. Just a question though although noone may have the answer yet, if they are talking about licenced salons what would this mean for mobile or home-based technicians?

Sorry I also meant to add that they should consult with people in the know about our industry aswell. Saying things like Glue in gel, why would'nt they have got expert knowledge before even writing a report, I certainly would'nt consider having anything put in a newspaper for thousands of people to read before knowing what I was talking about???? I seriously hope that they get it right!

gel? Get the terminology right and there would be more support.

Also Licensing does nothing except cause headaches for the honest people who work legally IMO.

Sorry this may seem a negative post, it's not meant to be!

Not taken as negative at all. That's why I said to ignore the inaccuracies.:green: Dr Starkey seems to know her stuff though, from the quotes. I liked her reference to the "cheaper end of the market" using MMA and also the reporter saying reputable salons will have nothing to do with it.

I do agree about your point on licensing, though. That's why I'd like loads of opinions. I think any correspondence should also mention the general way NSS operate, not just the banning of MMA.

so why didnt dr starkey make sure that the paper was properly informed about the product ?

i'm not quite understanding who is responsible for the inaccuracies:confused:

i think this is the same lady that lives near me in milton keynes??? its been in our local paper alot!!

so why didnt dr starkey make sure that the paper was properly informed about the product ?

i'm not quite understanding who is responsible for the inaccuracies:confused:

The reporter I would imagine. I think the point is someone in the government wants to do something about this. I used to work for Defra and the press never got/get anything right regarding animal disease outbreaks (AI, FMD, Bluetongue). Make big, scary headlines and stay ignorant of the facts. That sells papers.

As I said before it's the intention that's important, not the wording of the article.

I think Dr. Starkey needs to read this article and get our own top industry leaders behind her. We need real inustry input but also clients testimonies to support this agenda. Credibility is obtained by accuracy in the argument. One voice may be a wisper but many voices will be a shout.

http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-unaturale/2698-mma.html

Banning MMA is only a small step forward in our industry, but small steps make miles to, as long as other important factors are not forgotten and fought for just as hard.
Sanitisation standards, e-file educational standards, product over exposure, just to mention a few others. Banning MMA wont stop infections caused by dirty tools nor severe Nailplate damage by uneducated file users, or skin problems caused by over exposing clients skin by bad product control, no any other problem that is caused by lacking education or ignorance.
MMA is just one of few the worms found in this can of all worms.

JMHO

sorry me again but please read this,while it is great that someone in goverment is taking notice and campaighing to ban mma,WHEN this industry does eventually become regulated and licencsed by local councils a lot of techs are gonna be left in the lurch has you will need nvqs and even though certain trainning companys are the best around if you have no collage papers the local councils will not acknowledege how good you are,you will need even more trainning costing hundreds and hundreds just to gain your nvqs,just look at the door workers industry to see what a shambles that created, with thousands of door people out of work due to the fact they didnt have the money to re train and apply for the new licence,(this cost nearly £1000 )bear in mind local councils do not care about your skills only your nationally recognised quailifications.so please think very carefully what you are campaighing for and make sure you have the likes of sam sweet,giggi etc as the spokes persons regarding any changes within this industry these are the people with the knowledge to ensure your livlehoods are not dependant on local councilors etc.im sorry once again for being so negative but i do work for the sia (nights on tele help) and ive seen the sheer frustration first hand what changes can make to people,i really hope this thread is really thought through b4 any action is taken,please leave in the hands of the experts pls get them to campaighn on your behalf x

sorry me again but please read this,while it is great that someone in goverment is taking notice and campaighing to ban mma,WHEN this industry does eventually become regulated and licencsed by local councils a lot of techs are gonna be left in the lurch has you will need nvqs and even though certain trainning companys are the best around if you have no collage papers the local councils will not acknowledege how good you are,you will need even more trainning costing hundreds and hundreds just to gain your nvqs,just look at the door workers industry to see what a shambles that created, with thousands of door people out of work due to the fact they didnt have the money to re train and apply for the new licence,(this cost nearly £1000 )bear in mind local councils do not care about your skills only your nationally recognised quailifications.so please think very carefully what you are campaighing for and make sure you have the likes of sam sweet,giggi etc as the spokes persons regarding any changes within this industry these are the people with the knowledge to ensure your livlehoods are not dependant on local councilors etc.im sorry once again for being so negative but i do work for the sia (nights on tele help) and ive seen the sheer frustration first hand what changes can make to people,i really hope this thread is really thought through b4 any action is taken,please leave in the hands of the experts pls get them to campaighn on your behalf x

All of which is why I started this thread in the first place.

This all sounds great – however as far as licensing is concerned there is much work that will need to be untaken to make it effective without making it prohibitive for the awarding body and for us – where I live it is a requirement that I have a local council licence to offer nail services in my salon – the nail bar in the same high street also has to have one, they have been awarded a licence – and I know they use all kinds of weird and wonderful products, as I have had to try and either remove it or sort out the damage their methods and products on had clients nails.
It will interesting to see how far this MP manages to go with this, hopefully with the backing from our suppliers, us, etc...

I would definitely be up for backing something like this, I just have the same concerns as the others with regards to licensing etc. I don't have an NVQ and wouldn't like to think that I wouldn't be able to perform services if the legislation etc changes.

I mean think about it, you train with one company forever, go as far as you can and then they introduce the fact that you need to have an NVQ or whatever. More money etc etc. I know in a lot of the London Boroughs you have to have an NVQ before you can provide these services. Lucky for us where we are Sals, they don't require any proof. However, this is unlucky for those people who choose to go to the local Nail Bar!

I'm also concerned about all of the DIY nail kits, and as has been posted in another thread in chit chat, the use of the e-files you can buy in Argos! If someone goes into one of these nail bars and watches one of these being used, I wonder how many people will think that they can go and buy one and try it out at home. My first set of enhancements (not sure if I should call them enhancements!) were done in one of these nail bars and oh my god, when I took them off, I would cry everytime I washed my hands because my nails hurt so much.

I do think at some point it will come though that a licence will be needed. So I will hopefully be trying to work towards one of these asap.

But back to the earlier point, I do think it is important that the whole MMA issue gets sorted and hopefully banned, so I'm offering my support.

xx

Dr Starkey will now press for nail bars to be licensed in the same way as tattooists.

About time too just what I aske Santa for every Xmas

LICENSED nail bars accross the uk all my dreams have come at once.

Count me in:hug:

About time too just what I aske Santa for every Xmas

LICENSED nail bars accross the uk all my dreams have come at once.

Count me in:hug:

Having had to apply for a tattooists licence when I did permanent makeup in the UK I have to warn you not to get too excited. Firstly the EHO's do not understand the treatments, most have never even seen one performed. They just have a set of guidelines laid out by the government that they follow. ie sanitation procedures, products used, equipment used, training etc.

Yippee I hear you say! Well not really, it doesn't actually relate to any kind of skill, and neither was I checked up on once my licence was issued. Like I said previously, licensing is great as long as people continue to play by the rules ... and do you think that everyone will? ... All I can say is look at the problem in the States, they have licensing and yet they are swamped with NSS.

Self regulation is always better than the government trying to come in and make the rules IMO.

i have to agree with sassy here.

it sounds like a good idea in principle.

the problem is, only the good guys will registar wont they? some of those nss will drop off the radar and kind of turn it in to a black market.

my opinon obviously,

xbx

Having had to apply for a tattooists licence when I did permanent makeup in the UK I have to warn you not to get too excited. Firstly the EHO's do not understand the treatments, most have never even seen one performed. They just have a set of guidelines laid out by the government that they follow. ie sanitation procedures, products used, equipment used, training etc.

Yippee I hear you say! Well not really, it doesn't actually relate to any kind of skill, and neither was I checked up on once my licence was issued. Like I said previously, licensing is great as long as people continue to play by the rules ... and do you think that everyone will? ... All I can say is look at the problem in the States, they have licensing and yet they are swamped with NSS.

Self regulation is always better than the government trying to come in and make the rules IMO.
here here huni....we had to do this when my hubby applyed for licence for his tattoo studio....they came out said ...and i quote"this studio is cleaner than the other ones i have been in "....given the fact hubby done ours at the side of our house and she was talking about tattoo shops in high streets...how dirty are they then????????.how will this all effect home based nails???? you have to have a licecne for tatooing even at home so it should be same for home base nail bars....by the way i am home based nail bar....

Latest posts

Back