MRI scan questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren121

Reaction score
so I've got to go for an mri scan on my knee tomorrow and she told me to go with no metal on me or in me, she told me I needed to remove my tragus but if I'm just having my knee scanned will I still need to?

I'm not really sure of what to expect tbh can anyone shed some light?

I thought I would be having an ultra sound on it from when the doctor said I was going for a scan but then got told it was an mri

Sorry to hear that Hun. You will be fine, the machine is big and noisy, but it doesn't hurt and doesn't even touch you. The nurses are usually lovely, and often give you a pair of headphones so you can listen to the radio to take your mind off things. You also get a buzzer to hold, and can press it at any time if you feel panicky or anything. (Sometimes people do if they get claustrophobic.) but if it's your knee they're scanning, then you probably won't be in the machine very far. They blow air down it for you, so there's loads of air to breath and you can feel the breeze blowing which is nice I was super nervous, but the machine looks a bit like a giant polo, and was apricot coloured which really surprised me and made ma laugh for some reason!
Very noisy, but you will be fine hunnie. All the best, and do something nice when you get home, even if it's just a big mug of tea and something yummy xx

Oh, and not sure if 'tragus' is a typo, but yes I think they usually give you a gown to wear, and I had to take out like hair pins out of my hair and stuff. I once forgot and left one in and panicked thinking I was going to get electrocuted or something! Haha. But the nurse chuckled and said it can't electrocute you, I think it just just throw the results or something. But they will tell you when you go for it exactly, and you will be fine xxx [emoji106][emoji106]

Thanks Hun I didn't know wether it would be the same machine as if I was having a full body one but you've put my mind at rest! I don't think I'm claustrophobic but I'll find out tomorrow if I am!

My tragus is a piercing on my ear and I had it done when I was drunk so it's not in the "correct" place on the inside of my ear so it makes it really fiddly to get back in! So hoping they will let me keep it in! Fingers crossed!

Definitely not going to forget my holiday from this am I! X

Also do I need to remove nail polish? X

You can keep nail polish on but definitely remove piercing. I have my tragus pierced and couldn't remove prior to the scan and I had to go to a and e to have it cut out. It doesn't matter where in the body your scan is, it's magnetic resonance so all metal needs removing before the scan commences. I even had to remove hair feathers as there were trace metals in my micro ring!

You can keep nail polish on but definitely remove piercing. I have my tragus pierced and couldn't remove prior to the scan and I had to go to a and e to have it cut out. It doesn't matter where in the body your scan is, it's magnetic resonance so all metal needs removing before the scan commences. I even had to remove hair feathers as there were trace metals in my micro ring!
Yeah I can get the ball off and everything but it's just so fiddly to get back in cos the hole in my ear is quiet far in!

I used to work at a private hospital and the amount of people walking out looking pissed of because they couldn't have the scan done cos of there extensions was unbelievable!

It's with alliance medical mine has anyone had one with them before?

The impression I got from the woman on the phone was that I would be going in the machine in my own clothes as they said don't wear anything with metal on so do I go with a bra on or with a sports bra? X

An MRI is a giant magnet.....you really want to remove ALL metal piercings, jewellery or clothing !!

I went in with my own clothes for the one I had last week. Wore loose cotton maxi dress with a sports bra. That was in a mobile scanner (the one I had in December was in the hospital imaging dept so not a mobile one). Previous scans I have stripped off and worn a hospital gown x

Yeah was a mobile scanner one they didn't even ask if I had a underwire bra on which was quiet naughty of them!

I decided against jeans so went in leggings and a jumper!

I'm thankful it was only my knee don't think I would of liked it if I had to go in further!

Thanks for all your help girls!

Got my results back I've got a torn meniscus!

Hospital is like my second home this year!

Got my results back I've got a torn meniscus!

Hospital is like my second home this year!
Hi Lauren, im going for an MRI next week for suspected torn meniscus, what were your symptoms

so I've got to go for an mri scan on my knee tomorrow and she told me to go with no metal on me or in me, she told me I needed to remove my tragus but if I'm just having my knee scanned will I still need to?

I'm not really sure of what to expect tbh can anyone shed some light?

I thought I would be having an ultra sound on it from when the doctor said I was going for a scan but then got told it was an mri

Don’t wear it unless you want it to rip out, MRI stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging. It’s a huge strong magnet.

Don’t wear it unless you want it to rip out, MRI stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging. It’s a huge strong magnet.

It’s done. She got the results in August... :)

Latest posts

Back