MUA's who deal with bridal make-up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinksandfloris

Reaction score
Hi,

Well it's Friday and a good day for a rant! Lol.

I have a prospective Bridal client who is beginning to drive me up the wall. She's sent umpteen emails, and several long telephone calls (all on one day) She wants a trial 5 months before the wedding (which I tend to avoid as I think it's just too long inbetween) , I've had to hear about every minute detail of her face over the phone and long questions - will I be using BB!!!! cream on her face, should she bring her own eye primers in case I haven't got any, can I cope with sagging eyelids, her skin is oily - what would I do about that (to name but a few!) Are you starting to catch my drift here? ;-)

She now wants to have make-up trials with both myself and another artist and hair trials with the lady I work with and another hairdresser she's found. She's says she's hoping she prefers mine and my hair ladies. But I'm not keen. I've seen situations like this before with friends who have been messed around and pushed from pillar to post with prospective brides changing their mind like the wind when put in situations like this.

My gut instinct is to either be really firm or run a mile TBH but your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

First things first, make sure you charge for the trial before you start!!

I always take £25 to cover the trial cost, however I offer it as a deposit towards the final price (my standard make up price is £25, however for bridal it starts from £50)

If she wants to bring her own products with her for the trial, let her!! Give her 5 minutes at the beginning while you are chatting about the look she wants to tell you all about what she has brought and the kind of make up she uses daily.

You'll get more of an idea of what she's used to this way. She is obviously very keen for everything to be perfect, even if she is erring on the side of bridezilla!! It's probably just nerves, just make sure you enthuse like crazy over how wonderful all the products you are using on her are, she'll soon realise you're there to make her look her best and you do know what you're doing!!

Just be sure to let her know that if she wants to have another trial closer to the time that it will cost her x amount.

Also, be sure to take final payment at least 2 weeks prior to the wedding.

And last of all, good luck!!

Let us know how you get on.

Hi,

Yes I always charge for a trial, in fact I've always insisted on bridal trials for my ladies as I feel it leaves no margin for error.

I've been doing bridal MU for years and have just never come across anyone who felt the need to have trials with 4 different people. I guess they've never felt the need!

I do get booked up - I already have bookings for next year and she's asking for a bank holiday (aren't they popular now!) I just know she'll want me to hold her wedding date until she's made up her mind and it's August - always a busy one for weddings.

Hi,

Yes I always charge for a trial, in fact I've always insisted on bridal trials for my ladies as I feel it leaves no margin for error.

I've been doing bridal MU for years and have just never come across anyone who felt the need to have trials with 4 different people. I guess they've never felt the need!

I do get booked up - I already have bookings for next year and she's asking for a bank holiday (aren't they popular now!) I just know she'll want me to hold her wedding date until she's made up her mind and it's August - always a busy one for weddings.

I don't hold wedding dates until they pay a non refundable 50% deposit to secure the day and final payments are due 6 week prior to the wedding.

I also charge an extra 25% of the total wedding day cost to work on bank holiday and 100% extra to do weddings on Christmas, boxing day etc.

Last edited:
In that case then I would take 50% deposit.

Maybe give her 7 days after her initial trial for feedback, if she says she's happy with your work then tell her if she wants to hold the date that you require 50% deposit there and then, with the remaining 50% payable 6 weeks in advance.

She is obviously getting married at a very busy time and as such you'll be getting booked up.

I've notice it over the last couple of years that some ladies get trials with a few artists, I put it down to people taking their make up more seriously, where in the past it's always ben about just getting the hair right.

Yes.............I think this is something I should start doing. I feel I'm being much too soft with my pricing structure.

I normally make them pay in full at the end of the make-up trial once they're happy with everything. Like you, I find this the most suitable way of securing the date.

I don't hold wedding dates until they pay a non refundable 50% deposit to secure the day and final payments are due 6 week prior to the wedding.

I also charge an extra 25% of the total wedding day cost to work on bank holiday and 100% extra to do weddings on Christmas, boxing day etc.

I like your terms! A bit stronger than mine ( just!) but the direction I am going.

I always get Brides to pay a £60 deposit which is the same price as a trial but I let them pay the balance on the day.

Soft, I know. But I'm getting a bit stronger these days but I've not been caught out yet with dodgy cheques.

Must do the full payment 10 days in advance next year in case of dodgy clients!

Oh, but I NEVER work bank holidays, ever. It's my time with my family.

Bank hoilday i actually charge more! ha ha! Deposit is required... £100 per person. I will only book it in when money is paid upfront or i will take another booking if its not paid.

I actually had a bride wanting a appointment a year in advance.....i prefer to do trials from 6weeks to the wedding....any further time from that i feel is unnecessary and a waste of my time as people do change their minds.

I would tell this client if she just wanted x this and x that that she call you up and arrange a consultation where you will charge her compared to a trial, as you do trials at so and so dates prior to weddings. You will only book her in after this money has been paid and a firm booking is made for the trial if not the make up on the day. Otherwise shes bending your ear for ideas and going else where. hths xoxo

(im getting this bs with bleeding prom girls....urrrggg!)

I would just charge her and treat it as any other appointment, your not loosing out but I would be firm about a deposit and tell her that the date will not be booked out until she pays it and make sure you state it's non refundable in writing xxx

When a new bridal client contacts me for a quote I include my terms of business and payment structures at the end of the email and back it up with a link to my T&CS.

Even if a prospective client phones in or texts I ask for an email address so that I can confirm in righting my prices & t&cs.

This way from day one they know what is expected of them and if they don't like my terms of business or want to mess me around they can go somewhere else!

Latest posts

Back