Much call for sculpted nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbee1

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was thinking of doing an essential nails sculptured nails course and wondered if its very popular amongst the public.
I already do gels and acrylics but want to try something new.
Ant advice welcome. Thanks guys x

HI,

I've taught myself to sculpt and clients seem to prefer it and I definitely do as my scuplts follow the natural nail shape and there is nothing except the chemical bond between the nail and product so clients "losing" nails is unlikely. I inform them of this as I work!

Also quicker as no blending of tip.

Get some forms and have a go - a nail trainer does make it easier but you may be able to do it by attaching a cut tip with blu tac to a polish bottle.

Also check out the tutorial on here and Nail Angel.

Good luck and keep us informed of your success

x

I only do sculptured nails, I was taught how to do tips but to be honest all my clients prefer the sculptured "tailor made" look rather than the sticking a tip on, especially if they have bitten down nails no one wants the white really far down the nail. It really is personal preference though!
Good luck xx

I'm sorry to be picky but there is no such word as sculptured, please please please try to get in the habit of saying sculpted! This industry is one that is open to people calling us bimbos, don't help them!

(also please note I don't mean to be offensive by this)
xXx

There is such a word as sculptured!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it means exactly the same as sculpted.

They are both past tense forms of sculpt.

Jacqui xx

Jacqui xx
Glad you've cleared this up, even when completing assessment forms at college, the tutor didn't know which was the correct word, glad we could use either. :)

As for whether there's much call, I'm a tip user and no-one ever seems to ask for sculpted/sculptured.

Jacqui xx

I'm afraid you are wrong there Jacqueline, and you and many others are not using the word correctly, in fact the word scupltured doesn't even exist as a noun. People use the word incorrectly so often because they hear it used incorrectly so often.

A sculpture is a NOUN, a thing. A sculpture is made when you sculpt it, which is a VERB (to sculpt) ... The past tense of that verb is sculpted. The poster is absolutely correct. We do not sculpture nails we sculpt nails and we produce SCULPTED nails.

Now no one may give a damn but I agree it sounds ignorant and the word sculptured is used far too often incorrectly. Time to learn something new .. So why not take it on board gracefully and learn to use the word the way it should be used?

I offer sculpted nails to my clients when Ii feel it is appropriate for me to do so and every nail tech should know how to sculpt nails for many reasons.
Quicker repairs
Quicker sets
Less cost to the salon are just 3 good ones! :green:

Last edited:
Just going by the dictionaries.

Both words are there.

I don't use the word as I don't do them.

The question I was addressing is that there is no such word.

Jacqui xx

Well there are dictionaries that have every type of slang and supposed modern even made up words in them these days ... the fact remains even if you have found the word in some reference it is not a verb ... one is a noun and the other is a verb and sculpture is not a verb and is not used as a verb by anyone who knows how to speak the English language correctly. Now you can pick your way through that and try to score a few more points but that is the way it is.

Newbee1 I'm really sorry to have changed the subject of your post away from your question! I just felt that as you are new I'd try to help you avoid picking up bad habits. I believe that the use of correct grammar makes a huge difference to clients perception of us!

Back to your question, I much prefer to sculpt, I personally find it more comfortable to wear as there is no danger of miss sizing a tip. I am not saying that tips used correctly damage the nail BUT any damage I have seen has, I believe, been caused by people using tips badly. For example over filing to blend or using too deep a c curve for the natural nail.

I personally find sculpting quicker and more natural looking, my ladies (and a couple of gents) all much prefer it.

I'd say you need to make sure you are using a very good brand of product to sculpt with (CND, NSI or Harmony in my opinion) and buy forms with nice big "wings" NSI platinum or the CND ones are what I'd recommend. I'v found they are made to fit all clients, even toes! You just need to cut the curve straight for mens or bitten nails.

I'v not been doing nails long and am not an expert so only take my comments as my personal experiences not as factual information! Gigi on the other hand is THE expert! so any advice she gives you can be taken as gospel!

I prefer to sculpt.

Once I got the hang of it, my tip-boxes started collecting dust.

AND think on it:
With tips, you need all sorts that take all kinds of room: french, natural, glass (see-through), flat for flat nails, coloured, etc ...

With forms, one size fits all. Takes very little space. It's ONE roll, versus 6 or more boxes of tips. More cost effective for repairs. Instead of removing the enhancement and starting over, simply slip the form under and repair only what was chipped off. Requires less time and product.

With tips, there's frequent adjusting of them with a file, not so with forms. More time saved, and time is money. YES sometimes we have to get out the stork scissors and do a little trim for high hyponichiums or whatever.... but that trimming occurs far less often with forms than with tips.

My clients love them, I love them. Win-win situation.

I prefer to sculpt.

Once I got the hang of it, my tip-boxes started collecting dust.

AND think on it:
With tips, you need all sorts that take all kinds of room: french, natural, glass (see-through), flat for flat nails, coloured, etc ...

With forms, one size fits all. Takes very little space. It's ONE roll, versus 6 or more boxes of tips. More cost effective for repairs. Instead of removing the enhancement and starting over, simply slip the form under and repair only what was chipped off. Requires less time and product.

With tips, there's frequent adjusting of them with a file, not so with forms. More time saved, and time is money. YES sometimes we have to get out the stork scissors and do a little trim for high hyponichiums or whatever.... but that trimming occurs far less often with forms than with tips.

My clients love them, I love them. Win-win situation.

I totally agree! I prefer sculpts for all of these reasons. I've also found, when I am filling in for another nail tech in the salon that uses tips, that the nail glue holding the tips on tends to get old and cause separation that I don't see with sculpts. That causes more work for me, no fun.

Honestly, I love to do everything and sculpting is not always the best option for every client either.

These days with super-thin tips being applied with no well and right at the end of the finger, there is virtually no difference to a sculpted nail apart from the canvas has been created for the technician with the tip. The nails grow and become a natural nail overlay in no time, and this is my goal with all clients, to get them to that stage whether wearing tips or sculpted nails. There is no difference in the wear-ability.

Honestly, I love to do everything and sculpting is not always the best option for every client either.

These days with super-thin tips being applied with no well and right at the end of the finger, there is virtually no difference to a sculpted nail apart from the canvas has been created for the technician with the tip. The nails grow and become a natural nail overlay in no time, and this is my goal with all clients, to get them to that stage whether wearing tips or sculpted nails. There is no difference in the wear-ability.

I have to agree. I have found tips that are ultra thin and blend like butter.
I just rarely use them because I found it takes me more time with tipping.
I don't find that one way or the other is stronger, when they are done properly.

BUT I can understand what the above poster means. I've had clients from other salons show up with 'tips' that were badly applied and what a mess to sort out.
I suppose the same can be said of bad sculpts too.

Hi all,
I was thinking of doing an essential nails sculptured nails course and wondered if its very popular amongst the public.
I already do gels and acrylics but want to try something new.
Ant advice welcome. Thanks guys x

I love to Sculpt and actually prefer Sculpting than tips.:) I have only been Sculpting for a few months and I am finding I have a whole new bunch of clients who actually prefer sculpted nails than tips also. Good for me and good for business. I still do tips though as I love to do all things nails.:)

Well there are dictionaries that have every type of slang and supposed modern even made up words in them these days ... the fact remains even if you have found the word in some reference it is not a verb ... one is a noun and the other is a verb and sculpture is not a verb and is not used as a verb by anyone who knows how to speak the English language correctly. Now you can pick your way through that and try to score a few more points but that is the way it is.

Why are you being so unpleasant and even a little rude?

I responded to the statement that there is no such word as sculptured. I don't think you are the expert on the English language and if you wish to choose which word you believe is a proper word please carry on.

However, please don't speak to me in this way it is not neccessary. I don't believe I was trying to score any points from you or the lady who originally made the statement.

Both words exist regardless if its a verb or not and that is the way it is.

Thank you

Jacqui xx

I'm a word-junkie. I LOVE the English language and love to write.
I also enjoy solving riddles.
So, I set out with my dictionaries and my google to resolve this one because I do like to have the truth of things.

I confess, I was sure myself that "sculptured" was not a word.
It turns out that it is (see below).
HOWEVER, my conclusion from the definition is that nail enhancements are NOT "sculptured" and that it is indeed INCORRECT to say so simply because they are not 'chiselled', nor 'engraved'. (except perhaps with an e-file in some instances of nail art).

Gigi was not rude, she was simply plain speaking. She was also quite right with regards to slang terms being included in dictionaries recently. Just because it is found in a dictionary, it does not mean that it is a 'proper' word.

Definition of SCULPTURE (Meaning of SCULPTURE), a 9 Letter Word
Webster's 1913 Dictionary Definition:
  1. \Sculp"ture\ (?; 135), n. [L. sculptura: cf. F.sculpture.]1. The art of carving, cutting, or hewing wood, stone, metal, etc., into statues, ornaments, etc., or into figures, as of men, or other things; hence, the art of producing figures and groups, whether in plastic or hard materials.2. Carved work modeled of, or cut upon, wood, stone, metal, etc. There, too, in living sculpture, might be seen The mad affection of the Cretan queen. --Dryden.
  2. \Sculp"ture\ (?; 135), v. t. [imp. & p. p.{Sculptured}; p. pr. & vb. n. {Sculpturing}.]To form with the chisel on, in, or from, wood, stone, ormetal; to carve; to engrave.{Sculptured tortoise} (Zo["o]l.), a common North American wood tortoise ({Glyptemys insculpta}). The shell is marked with strong grooving and ridges which resemble sculptured figures.
space.gif
  1. \Sculp"ture\ (?; 135), n. [L. sculptura: cf. F.sculpture.]1. The art of carving, cutting, or hewing wood, stone, metal, etc., into statues, ornaments, etc., or into figures, as of men, or other things; hence, the art of producing figures and groups, whether in plastic or hard materials.2. Carved work modeled of, or cut upon, wood, stone, metal, etc. There, too, in living sculpture, might be seen The mad affection of the Cretan queen. --Dryden.
  2. \Sculp"ture\ (?; 135), v. t. [imp. & p. p.{Sculptured}; p. pr. & vb. n. {Sculpturing}.]To form with the chisel on, in, or from, wood, stone, ormetal; to carve; to engrave.{Sculptured tortoise} (Zo["o]l.), a common North American wood tortoise ({Glyptemys insculpta}). The shell is marked with strong grooving and ridges which resemble sculptured figures.

oops sorry for the double-post
I was unable to edit because of all the 'codes'.
:o

Thank you for all of this info but may I just say again that my post is nothing to do with nails, it is a direct response to the statement that there is no such word as sculptured. And there is. And you have confirmed it. Thank you lol.

If a word makes it into the dictionary then slang or not is an accepted word.

I accept your opinion that you don't feel she was being rude. But it was a response to me and I think it was unnecessary to answer the question in that manner. I am not a child to be spoken to like that. I wouldn't speak to anyone on this site in that manner. I would like the same in return.

You have a nice day and thank you!

Jacqui xx

Last edited:
Not that it's got anything to do with me, but out of interest what is the definition of 'sculpted' in the dictionary you quoted? I'm genuinely interested in the difference between the two definitions? :)

And does your quote from Websters say that the dictionary definition you have referenced was published in 1913? Or do those numbers relate to something else?

X

I'm a word-junkie. I LOVE the English language and love to write.
I also enjoy solving riddles.
So, I set out with my dictionaries and my google to resolve this one because I do like to have the truth of things.

I confess, I was sure myself that "sculptured" was not a word.
It turns out that it is (see below).
HOWEVER, my conclusion from the definition is that nail enhancements are NOT "sculptured" and that it is indeed INCORRECT to say so simply because they are not 'chiselled', nor 'engraved'. (except perhaps with an e-file in some instances of nail art).

Gigi was not rude, she was simply plain speaking. She was also quite right with regards to slang terms being included in dictionaries recently. Just because it is found in a dictionary, it does not mean that it is a 'proper' word.

Definition of SCULPTURE (Meaning of SCULPTURE), a 9 Letter Word
space.gif

Latest posts

Back