Much call for sculpted nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can sculpt and do so occasionally for a repair of a chip but that is the most I do with sculpting. In my opinion tips are better looking, easier to work with, stronger and quicker. No contest.

Personally I wouldnt spend much time trying to master the art of sculpting unless you just like playing for the fun of it......then of course carry on. Ultimately your business doesnt need sculpting though. A well fitted tip covers every nail you will ever meet.:lol:

sculpted

–verb (used with object), verb (used without object) 1. Fine Arts . to carve, model, or make by using the techniques of sculpture.

2. to form, shape, or manipulate, as in the manner of sculpture: Her hair was sculpted by a leading hairdresser.

To the original poster. Its definately worth learning to sculpt. It will give you more options to suit your clients needs and allow you to add another string to you bow with the services you can provide :green:

Not that it's got anything to do with me, but out of interest what is the definition of 'sculpted' in the dictionary you quoted? I'm genuinely interested in the difference between the two definitions? :)

And does your quote from Websters say that the dictionary definition you have referenced was published in 1913? Or do those numbers relate to something else?

X

I didn't look up sculpted, so couldn't tell you.
And yes, that is a definition that dates back to a 1913 edition of the dictionary. (as per the link)

PS: the word also appears in my Merriam dictionary here at home, but I was too lazy to type it all out, hence the copy and paste from the link provided.

I can sculpt and do so occasionally for a repair of a chip but that is the most I do with sculpting. In my opinion tips are better looking, easier to work with, stronger and quicker. No contest.

Personally I wouldnt spend much time trying to master the art of sculpting unless you just like playing for the fun of it......then of course carry on. Ultimately your business doesnt need sculpting though. A well fitted tip covers every nail you will ever meet.:lol:

Yes, but, there are those clients who prefer and like the look of sculpted nails, and a good sculpted nails is just as good if not better looking than a tip and overlay in some cases. We as technicians should be able to offer many differnet ways of applying nail enhancements so that we can be ready for any client that walks through the salon door don't you think?:) Also I don't get what you mean exactly by 'unless you just like playing for the fun of it??:confused: I wouldn't have thought any tech would learn to sculp just for the fun of it.

Yes, but, there are those clients who prefer and like the look of sculpted nails, and a good sculpted nails is just as good if not better looking than a tip and overlay in some cases. We as technicians should be able to offer many differnet ways of applying nail enhancements so that we can be ready for any client that walks through the salon door don't you think?:) Also I don't get what you mean exactly by 'unless you just like playing for the fun of it??:confused: I wouldn't have thought any tech would learn to sculp just for the fun of it.

I think loads of techs do things just for the fun of it!! Its my opinion that sculpts dont look better than tips, and I also think that spending all the time that is required to learn sculpting is a waste of effort if you are doing it for a business reason - its just not necessary.
Each to their own though :)

I think loads of techs do things just for the fun of it!! Its my opinion that sculpts dont look better than tips, and I also think that spending all the time that is required to learn sculpting is a waste of effort if you are doing it for a business reason - its just not necessary.

Is it a type-o, or do you really think that sculpting is "a waste of time"??
I have found that since I learned it, it has IMPROVED my business by the following ways:
- Faster sets
- Faster repairs of chips and/or breaks
- Allows for more variety in nail art
- Easier to sculpt on some nail shapes as opposed to tipping (at least for me)
- More cost effective (especially for chips & breaks, replace only what was broken off, as opposed to removing ALL of the product and starting over)

I'm surprised that you think it is a waste of time.
Out of curiosity, do you know how to sculpt?

Is it a type-o, or do you really think that sculpting is "a waste of time"??
I have found that since I learned it, it has IMPROVED my business by the following ways:
- Faster sets
- Faster repairs of chips and/or breaks
- Allows for more variety in nail art
- Easier to sculpt on some nail shapes as opposed to tipping (at least for me)
- More cost effective (especially for chips & breaks, replace only what was broken off, as opposed to removing ALL of the product and starting over)

I'm surprised that you think it is a waste of time.
Out of curiosity, do you know how to sculpt?
I agree with Victoria. Sculpting is in no way a waste of time to learn how to. For a start, if you can do beautiful nails with tips then you can sculpt beautiful nails when appropriate.

If you know what a beautiful nail looks like, then you still apply the product the same ... Takes no time at all to learn how to sculpt. One cannot claim to be a well rounded professional unless one can sculpt nails.

I offer sculpted nails to my clients when Ii feel it is appropriate for me to do so and every nail tech should know how to sculpt nails for many reasons.
Quicker repairs
Quicker sets
Less cost to the salon are just 3 good ones! :green:

Don't be afraid to have a go at this. You will find that you will love to do it not just for the reasons the Geeg mentioned, but also the way the look and you know YOU did that! Feels great. Your clients might not even have seen this done and will love the work you have done. Plus if you do nail art it just helps keep a bit more bulk out of your tip :)

I mostly do gel overlays and sculpt mainly for repairs and quick fixes, occasionally I do a full set.
May I ask how long it normally takes you guys to do a full set?

When I knuckle down and don't get yappy AND there's no fancy art (aside from replacing white with glitter french), I can bang out a sculpted french in 1hr15min. Gel or L&P, both sculpted, and topped with UV Gloss after.

It really is worth the effort to learn everything possible.

I also find that since I learned to sculpt, I'm learning better brush control and developing a better eye because I'm not depending upon the tip to indicate where the sidewalls are etc. I have to create them.

When I knuckle down and don't get yappy AND there's no fancy art (aside from replacing white with glitter french), I can bang out a sculpted french in 1hr15min. Gel or L&P, both sculpted, and topped with UV Gloss after.

It really is worth the effort to learn everything possible.

I also find that since I learned to sculpt, I'm learning better brush control and developing a better eye because I'm not depending upon the tip to indicate where the sidewalls are etc. I have to create them.

Well you could look at it this way, if you were sculpting for a business reason, in my opinion it is necessary cause sculpting is cheaper to do than tips so surely thats good for business as it's saves money. Just my opinion though so please don't think I'm having a go at you. As you said each to their own:biggrin:

Sorry for late return to this thread, hectic couple of weeks!

I really did mean it when I said that for business reasons sculpting isnt necessary. Yes I can sculpt, it took me ages to learn how to do it - I spent far longer learning how to do this than I should have done! As it turns out, if you are in this game to be profitable then my advice would be not to make my mistake. Dont spend your money or waste your time trying to be an expert sculpter - your business doesnt need it.

Some very basic knowledge in sculpting for the repair of chips is all the skill you need in sculpting.....in my opinion of course :)

Again i disagree with it being good for business, sorry. Its not quicker or cheaper but hey if it floats your boat, why not.

Sorry for late return to this thread, hectic couple of weeks!

I really did mean it when I said that for business reasons sculpting isnt necessary. Yes I can sculpt, it took me ages to learn how to do it - I spent far longer learning how to do this than I should have done! As it turns out, if you are in this game to be profitable then my advice would be not to make my mistake. Dont spend your money or waste your time trying to be an expert sculpter - your business doesnt need it.

Some very basic knowledge in sculpting for the repair of chips is all the skill you need in sculpting.....in my opinion of course :)

Again i disagree with it being good for business, sorry. Its not quicker or cheaper but hey if it floats your boat, why not.

Sculpting is definitely quicker for those who do it regularly and it certainly is cheaper and puts extra pounds in your pocket before you even start working ... how do you make out that it is more expensive to sculpt?

While others are busy sizing and gluing on their tips, one can have finished sculpting a hand of nails and be going on to the the second hand while the tipper is just starting to overlay the first hand .. so seriously interested on how you reckon sculpting is no quicker?

Im not trying to start an argument .. just want to know what I must be doing that is diferent to the way you do it to allow sculpting to be both quicker and cheaper for me to do?

I think sculpting is very a important part of being able to quality yourself as a professional and I just don't think it is good advice to give to others to say that it is not; it may not be to YOU but that is not a good basis for advising others who are seeking factual information. Of course your opinion may be valid for yourself.

I'm with VHunter & geeg on this one sculpting is great, less expensive, faster (can do a set in 1 hour). Also I have done some training with 9 times world champion Tom Helcomb, who stated that the water soluable glue used for tips is more likely to come away at the edges after a few weeks compared to the durability of all acrylic, and I'd have to agree.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Sculpting is definitely quicker for those who do it regularly and it certainly is cheaper and puts extra pounds in your pocket before you even start working ... how do you make out that it is more expensive to sculpt?

While others are busy sizing and gluing on their tips, one can have finished sculpting a hand of nails and be going on to the the second hand while the tipper is just starting to overlay the first hand .. so seriously interested on how you reckon sculpting is no quicker?

Im not trying to start an argument .. just want to know what I must be doing that is diferent to the way you do it to allow sculpting to be both quicker and cheaper for me to do?

I think sculpting is very a important part of being able to quality yourself as a professional and I just don't think it is good advice to give to others to say that it is not; it may not be to YOU but that is not a good basis for advising others who are seeking factual information. Of course your opinion may be valid for yourself.

I totally agree with you Gigi. Couldn't have put it better myself:)

Ask yourself why you are asking the question in the first place, do you want to become a fully rounded technician and build a career that you are proud of or do you want to do things in the cheapest, quickest way possible with no interest in becoming better in other fields????

I was able to teach myself to sculpt (and am saving up to do a one to one to round my skills) I am a person who likes fiddly intricate things and so as sculpting isnt very fiddly I found it very easy to pick up the basics, and I much much prefer the finished nails when sculpted. But this makes me want to also improve my tipping skills as I want to be great at it all! (and am nowhere near yet!)

I feel that the opinion stating that basically wasting time and money on training comes from a very different school of thought.

The people who come back to me come back because I sculpt, they also tell their freinds about me as they feel they have found something new as few people do it in my area. I personally have found it easier, more popular and the nails last much longer for me.

Sculpting will also mean that you can experiment in the future if you like to get into the arty side of things!

You need to decide if you are in it for quick money or to become a true tech as desribed at the beginning of my babble!

xXx

I hear you all, and i still disagree:) - thats allowed remember.

I think spending the time it takes to become an expert sculptor is EXPENSIVE - time is money in this business - we all know that!

Its not necessary to spend that time learning the really difficult skill of sculpting (dont believe it when these techs above are claiming its easy - it really isnt!~). In my opinion its doing newbies a dis-service to encourage them to spend all that time learning sculpting. They would be far more profitable quicker, and then more likely to make money and stay in this business - if they ditched the holy grail of sculpting........ its over rated. deal. Its not stronger, or quicker or cheaper.

ps. i dont think training academies should teach it to new techs either -thats wasting their time.

Learn everything.. know everything.. DO everything! Keep one step ahead of the place (salon/tech) down the road.. ANYTHING that allows you to say "Yes i can do that for you" is surely worth it???:green:

I hear you all, and i still disagree:) - thats allowed remember.

I think spending the time it takes to become an expert sculptor is EXPENSIVE - time is money in this business - we all know that!

Its not necessary to spend that time learning the really difficult skill of sculpting (dont believe it when these techs above are claiming its easy - it really isnt!~). In my opinion its doing newbies a dis-service to encourage them to spend all that time learning sculpting. They would be far more profitable quicker, and then more likely to make money and stay in this business - if they ditched the holy grail of sculpting........ its over rated. deal. Its not stronger, or quicker or cheaper.

ps. i dont think training academies should teach it to new techs either -thats wasting their time.

Disagree with the highlighted point Above poster made.. I for one found it easy to learn, just took a little bit of practice to perfect.. Now im just starting to get back in the game and it was like riding a bike.. take the time to learn how to sculpt and i promise you it will open up a whole new world of enhancing for you! :)

I tended to tip most of the time, as I found fitting the forms rather difficult on less than uniform nails. I am now working out how to adapt them and getting better results.

My only gripe is that they tend to wind up a bit thicker and so I'm working on that now. This is down to my lack of expertise and I do realise that. The reasons I want to move on to sculpting is because I find tipping time consuming and I'm not satisfied with the shape afterwards which requires more adapting before I can get going. I am a little tired of the 'Box' like look they give which, again, is down to me. :irked:

I look forward to the day when I can sculpt with ease. :)

Latest posts

Back