Much needed advice please..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shellarrow

Reaction score
hi guys and long standing geeks:) im a very new geek so be nice please!!
im setting up a salon very soon, worried about hiden costs and red tape that i might not of thought about...
Q; do i need special mirrors or can i buy them from anywhere!!!!:!:
dont be shy....

Last edited:
Hidden costs... PAT Testing, Music License, TV License, Insurance, Bank Fees, Accountant Fees, Credit card Machine Fees, National Insurance and VAT!! (I HATE VAT!)

:green: thank you for answers, you have been helpfull, i love this site cant wait to think of another question...... cheers:hug:

Advertising , ongoing training costs , magazines!

im setting up a salon very soon, worried about hiden costs and red tape that i might not of thought about...
dont be shy....
Used salon furniture will keep costs down, vat not a worry at first, good insurance can be found from salon gold, which is essential. Keep a good record of takings and keep all reciepts. You can buy an accounts book from any wholesalers. As for buyng furniture at a car boot sale..NOOO! I wont be getting my hair cut at that salon!
Never cut back on the appearance of your business if budget allows. Remember people will judge your business by looking through the window first!
J

Last edited:
Hidden costs... PAT Testing, Music License, TV License, Insurance, Bank Fees, Accountant Fees, Credit card Machine Fees, National Insurance and VAT!! (I HATE VAT!)
Yes VAT is a real downer, especially when business is so tuff, amazing how many people I speak to have had investigations, seems like the government are looking to call in all the tax they can

dont be shy....

Welcome to the site x
Checkout the articles and tutorials they will be a great help to you x

hey, i don't have salon, I'm mobile but my boyfriend made me a mirror (like the ones you get in salons) as he's a joiner and I use it all the time for doing peoples hair at homes or exhibitions. It looks really good and trendy but it's just a normal mirror and he made rest, stand for it.

The hiden costs I've found are the Health and safety aspects. Fire Extinguisher, PAT testing, smoke alarm just things similar to that.

Initially when I did the business forecast, you forget small things (mainly tools and stock) that you'll need. I forecasted our monthly outgoings before the business kicked off and they are about £100 more when it was up and running. Just be prepared for it.

thanks for all your advice, i agree it is all the small things that add up..
and you cant cut back on style or image. :hug:

Latest posts

Back