Muck under nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire C

Reaction score
Hi everyone, after doing a client the other day I wondered about this...The lady had Gelish on and when I removed the gelish it was obvious that there was some dirt under the free edge of some of the nails. I was reapplying the Gelish and was really tempted to just get a wipe with some Nail pure plus on or an orange stick and just get rid of it. What would/should I have done? I wouldn't want to offend anyone by making them feel like they are mucky but would this be the sort of thing that most of you would do when prepping the nail. If she had had a sheer colour it would have shown through from underneath the nail. Would be interested to know what other people do. Thanks C x

Hi, I would of got rid of it. I don't think think a client would be offended xx

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

So would you just do it as if it was part of your normal prep? Its the first time I've come across this, so wasn't sure what to do. The girl was far from mucky but it does make you wonder how many people clean under their nail when you can't see the muck. I must admit I would have seen it even with colour on my nails but that is just me!!:green:

I would say "your nails need a bit of a clean" and hand them a nail brush and point them towards the sink!

They are probably looking at the dirt and thinking the same, then they will make sure to keep them clean next time.

It's not offensive to do this. :)

I agree with Weezie, although if there was dirt under just one nail I would clean it myself with an orangewood stick and say "just getting that little bit of fluff otherwise that will annoy you" and the client is usually relieved!

I get them to use Bio Sculptures 3 way tool, it is like a little tooth brush at one end a gel remover tool at the other & a metal bit for removing hard skin.

And again when I have remover the gel asking them to pay particular attention to flicking out any bits underneath as there is often bits of nail under there after filing

If you had been at a talk by Doug Shoon about what is found under the free edge you wouldn't be touching it!!!! yuck! Horrifying. I would suggest you ask all your clients to wash their hands anyway and have nail brushes by the sink with polite suggestions that they are used

Ooh An*Gel I like the idea of calling it fluff, it sounds much less offensive or embarrassing for them. :lol:

I agree Mum, there was no way I was getting my nail under there and scraping it out... Bleurgh!! An orange stick was the closest I would have got and then used a wipe with nail pure plus just to cleanse. I use NSI Sanitise at the start to sanitise both mine and the clients hands but maybe a wash and scrub would be better!

I will add that it was only a couple of the nails that had "fluff" under them, they weren't minging!! I think I would have run a mile otherwise!!

Latest posts

Back