Multi tonal technique

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace_Hair

Reaction score
I've got a friend in this week. And she wants to go auburn.
She's sent me the below pictures.

I want to practice my balayage so was thinking to balayage then put a colour all over so the pre lightened pieces will give a multi tonal effect.

I sometimes feel I don't think outside the box or challenge myself when it comes to colouring.

What technique would you do for a nice multi-tonal colour?
She currently has a short (jaw length) slightly inverted Bob.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1447013046.774027.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1447013060.538259.jpg

Do 2-4 foils on top layers,rag em off when done and pull the color through plus the ombre effect.

I want to practice my balayage so was thinking to balayage then put a colour all over so the pre lightened pieces will give a multi tonal effect.

I sometimes feel I don't think outside the box or challenge myself when it comes to colouring.

View attachment 191902View attachment 191903
Just a suggestion,bayalage with lightener then shampoo then do colour melt over,I love it it gives even more dimension.

View attachment 191902View attachment 191903

Gorgeous colours! I think you've got the right idea already, be confident, and go for it! x

Rag them off?

Haha, where I'm from, this would mean pull them off, violently!
"she was ragging me all over" means she was beating me up where I'm from!

I think the lady means dab/wipe them off when developed
X

Just a suggestion,bayalage with lightener then shampoo then do colour melt over,I love it it gives even more dimension.
Have you tried doing it wet? I'm sooo dying to try it! Just a bit scared tbh!

Haha, where I'm from, this would mean pull them off, violently!
"she was ragging me all over" means she was beating me up where I'm from!

I think the lady means dab/wipe them off when developed
X

No I reckon she means rag em off most of her posts are a bit reckless/slapdash sounding if I'm honest.

Have you tried doing it wet? I'm sooo dying to try it! Just a bit scared tbh!
I thought you had done wet colour melt Kahuna, I find it much easier to do than dry to be honest, as Cams says it blurs all the lines perfectly:)

No I always do them dry! I asked Lisa walker about this on fb this week, I'm slightly concerned about doing it wet in case it works like a toner rather than a permanant colour :/ she said that it opens the cuticles and makes the blending easier...

So I have questions.....
Do you shampoo & condition or just shampoo before doing it?
Do you use the same mixtures you normally would? I.e root mix, mid mix, end mix
Can it be done with natural root present?

No I always do them dry! I asked Lisa walker about this on fb this week, I'm slightly concerned about doing it wet in case it works like a toner rather than a permanant colour :/ she said that it opens the cuticles and makes the blending easier...

So I have questions.....
Do you shampoo & condition or just shampoo before doing it?
Do you use the same mixtures you normally would? I.e root mix, mid mix, end mix
Can it be done with natural root present?
Just shampoo towel dry,then porosity spray, root mixture I leave it for 5 mins first then comb ,Ithen mid and end mixture comb again ,if I want a diferent root colour to natural I bump it first,the ends mixture is a toner when I do it ,havnt found it fades any worse than any thing else over blonde, it allways takes a few times for blonde to stay covered in my experience much better now with Olaplex. Lisa Walker is the expert on this she would answer the questions better than me

Just shampoo towel dry,then porosity spray, root mixture I leave it for 5 mins first then comb ,Ithen mid and end mixture comb again ,if I want a diferent root colour to natural I bump it first,the ends mixture is a toner when I do it ,havnt found it fades any worse than any thing else over blonde, it allways takes a few times for blonde to stay covered in my experience much better now with Olaplex. Lisa Walker is the expert on this she would answer the questions better than me

Can you recommend a porosity spray?

You bump it first?

So you use permanent on root and mids then toner on ends?

Can you recommend a porosity spray?

You bump it first?

So you use permanent on root and mids then toner on ends?
I use goldwell or Wella porosity spray. No I dont use permanent for going over prelightened hair only ever demi permanent. If bayalage pieces start lower down you could use permanent on roots then demi mids and ends.for what you want I would bayalage then shampoo towel dry porosity spray,permanent roots then demi mid to ends.

Bump the base is if you want to lighten the base just a bit.
Toner for the ends is if you are doing a blonde colour melt.

When you guys colour melt, would you use the same tone at varying depths? Or could it be completely different colour? (Within reason). What's the furthers apart depths you would do? Eg, I assume you wouldn't melt a 5 into an 8 without a 6 or 7 between? X

Latest posts

Back