Music in Salons? license needed??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estherlou

Reaction score
I play relaxing cds in salon, i buy them locally, i got a call the other day demanding i pay £80 as i was illegally playing music without the express permission of the performer, (in my case mainly the sea as i use alot of wave sounds:lol:) joking aside, the person was so rude i told them where to go, i just figured it was a con call as i get so many of them. Next thing i know the owner of the hairdressers i rent space from has bought one of these licenses for £80. Is this needed, help!:eek:

Yes, you do need a license to play music in any public / working establishment. Check out the following website for details:

Welcome to the MCPS-PRS Alliance

It will be easier to call them, as it can be very confusing to work out the license fees.

Mat

Surely the hairdressers license will cover hers? with it being under one roof?

If its only CD music your playing and not the 'Radio' would you still a licence?, and wont the hairdressers one cover you? Its like having a telly in all the rooms in your house, you dont need a licence or all your rooms!
But i do know if you dont have a telly and you DO play the radio, you need a radio licence.
CAZ X

we have a tattoo studio at the side of our house and if we want to play music ....cd,s or radio we have to pay £80 per year.....disgusting really but its the law .

Funnily enough I have just had a letter from them yesterday about this. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if i the salon relaxation cd's, like the Fredrik Karlsson also require the license?

Oh dear! i had really never heard of this, how rubbish is that, i should be covered under the salons license as its the same building, hopefully! x

you do need a license even to play the relaxation cd's, I'm phoning about mine tomorrow. It costs £80, or 18p a day or something like that. I'll let you know after I phone.

With the relaxation cd's, I believe there are certain ones that you can use without having to have the licence. I can't remember any details but I definitely remember reading that in a catalogue somewhere. So check with the cd company before you get a licence.

**yep we all need one, and the licence companies will phone salons up at random to see if they can hear music in the background... how sneeky :eek:

lets start a petition against this! lol :green:
or make your own cd.
its disgusting the governement doesn't know where else to make money, watch it soon you will need a licence for your client to use your toilet.

Ive been stung £80 for a PPL liscence and then £80 for a PRS liscence too.

Does anyone know if you have to pay for both?????

lets start a petition against this! lol :green:
or make your own cd.
its disgusting the governement doesn't know where else to make money, watch it soon you will need a licence for your client to use your toilet.

Is the licence for the loo a case of the government taking the p*ss? :green:

Seems a bit steep to have to pay for both! I would have thought that a PPL licence would be ample for playing any recorded music in your salon - and an additional PRS licence would only be required if you were having *live* music in your salon - not really very likely???

Unfortunately so, one license is for the radio if played, the other one for recorded music ie CD's

Unfortunately so, one license is for the radio if played, the other one for recorded music ie CD's

Ah, but if you only ever played CDs, but never the radio, could you get away with one licence?

Ah, but if you only ever played CDs, but never the radio, could you get away with one licence?

I would presume so. Trouble is the powers that be are sneaky & if you claimed you didn't play the radio & they found out you did, you may have to pay back payments.

We have the radio on most of the time & just put CD's on when we have facials or massage. There's no way I'd want to listen to our CD's all day long. It's bad enough on a Saturday when me & my colleague have about 4 hours of relaxing treatments between us. It's such a relief to go back to the radio :).

It's a flat rate for the radio, then extra for CDS, Dvds also it depends on how many seats you have as more than two is deemed to be the public!! I really think the likes of
Madonna, George Michael etc really need our hard earned cash don,t you??

Latest posts

Back