Must haves-make up kit-please add yours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheekychick

Reaction score
Hi,
I've searched on here and there are a couple of old threads but I thought id start a new one (hope that's okay)
I've recently qualified in make up, still have a long way to go yet but I was wondering:

What products can't you live without/ what do you use the most?

Also any tips that might be helpful for a newbie/ anything you wished you knew when you started?

I'm not looking to steal anyone's secrets, I promise!
Im just nowhere near confident enough in my work yet and would like to learn as much as possible.
Thanks
Samantha :) x

Hi - wow where to start.
I've been building my kit for nearly 5 years and it never ends lol!
I love my Airbase foundations, besides all my other brands and types. It gives me the confidence to know that I can cover any skin colour or type wherever I go - you can brush on or spray - so never have any OMGoodness moments when meeting a client for the first time e.g. a bridesmaid/guest at a wedding. They are also easy to pack up and carry.
Disposables are a must - eyelash combs, tissues, make-up wipes for clean ups under eyes, backs of your hand - I use mine as a palette. Also hand sanitiser and brush cleaner for in between clients.
You don't need hundreds of different brushes but I do use multiples of the same brushes now. Get a cheapish brush set to begin with so you have everything you need, then identify which individual brush styles you actually prefer for each application of each product. Then go out and buy a few of each style in a decent brand that will last you. EG I have several MAC 217's and 224's - staples for eyeshadows. But I also have a trusty concealer brush that I've had for years by Smashbox. I couldn't replace it but found a copy in another brand and bought a few.
Try to buy products once you know you like them, in palettes. My kit is way too heavy still as I have a lot of "packaging" in products that I got early on individually.
Also decide on type of make-up to focus on and tailor your kit to usage to avoid buying colours/products you never use.
Sanitise your products too with a good product - no one wants to work with a dirty MUA.
I could go on forever but will let others add - this will be a great thread but go and try things before you buy as each MUA will have a different opinion and you could end up overwhelmed. Stay focused on what you need for YOUR clients and your skills.

Good luck x

Hi, thanks for your reply! I have 2 cheapish brush rolls and I'm finding I only using a quarter of them of that! And I'm definitely buying some more better quality ones soon as the eyeshadow ones I have are no good for blending.
And need to invest in a foundation op and was thinking about airbrush xx

Hi ya I really like crown brushes they are reasonable in price and good quality I also love Illamasqua Makeup - foundation, lipstick, eye liner, blush - We are colour, you are beauty they have some lovely products and also super drug MUA range do some nice bits too. Add lots of make up blogs for inspiration and this week being London fashion week is the best time to look at current make up trends. Pixie woo on you tube also has great make up tutorials . Best of luck xx

Btts

So many things in my kit I love, but the ones that spring to mind first are:

- Excellent brushes, lots of them including back ups of the ones most used.
- Illamasqua skin base & hydra veil primer
- Airbase foundations & airbrush
- Skindinavia setting spray
- Loose powder
- Lots of disposable mascara wands / lip gloss wands
- Brush cleaning spray
- Illamasqua skin base lights concealers
- Makeup Geek / Illamasqua / Neve eyeshadows
- Daniel Sandler Watercolour blushes
- Illamasqua powder blushes
- Illamasqua black gel liner
- Waterproof Mascara
- Duo Lash glue and lots of individual and strip lashes

I always have a palette and spatula because using your arm is gross and they are really cheap! I also keep a small bottle of sanitising spray in my kit bag.

My biggest tip is buy a FOLD UP CHAIR!! Seriously, best thing I ever bought. I carry it with me to every makeup job that isn't in my studio because I was getting sooo sick of breaking my back doing makeup in a too-low chair. (It was about £30 from ebay and worth every penny!)

Make sure you have tweezers, little scissors, lots of tissues, hand wipes, hand santiser gel, cotton pads, cotton buds, eye makeup remover, small tin of hairspray, moisurisers, nail polish remover...

Hi ya I really like crown brushes they are reasonable in price and good quality I also love Illamasqua Makeup - foundation, lipstick, eye liner, blush - We are colour, you are beauty they have some lovely products and also super drug MUA range do some nice bits too. Add lots of make up blogs for inspiration and this week being London fashion week is the best time to look at current make up trends. Pixie woo on you tube also has great make up tutorials . Best of luck xx

Btts

Thanks so much. :)
I've heard good things about crown brushes also.
I've just bought a couple of bits from illamasqua too (primer, eyeliners etc)

I love pixiewoo! Xx

So many things in my kit I love, but the ones that spring to mind first are:

- Excellent brushes, lots of them including back ups of the ones most used.
- Illamasqua skin base & hydra veil primer
- Airbase foundations & airbrush
- Skindinavia setting spray
- Loose powder
- Lots of disposable mascara wands / lip gloss wands
- Brush cleaning spray
- Illamasqua skin base lights concealers
- Makeup Geek / Illamasqua / Neve eyeshadows
- Daniel Sandler Watercolour blushes
- Illamasqua powder blushes
- Illamasqua black gel liner
- Waterproof Mascara
- Duo Lash glue and lots of individual and strip lashes

I always have a palette and spatula because using your arm is gross and they are really cheap! I also keep a small bottle of sanitising spray in my kit bag.

My biggest tip is buy a FOLD UP CHAIR!! Seriously, best thing I ever bought. I carry it with me to every makeup job that isn't in my studio because I was getting sooo sick of breaking my back doing makeup in a too-low chair. (It was about £30 from ebay and worth every penny!)

Make sure you have tweezers, little scissors, lots of tissues, hand wipes, hand santiser gel, cotton pads, cotton buds, eye makeup remover, small tin of hairspray, moisurisers, nail polish remover...

Also when I said about brushes, they don't have to be super expensive ones, just good quality.

Crown Brush and bdellium both make some excellent brushes and are very affordable. As well as Sigma and Real Techniques.

Also when I said about brushes, they don't have to be super expensive ones, just good quality.

Crown Brush and bdellium both make some excellent brushes and are very affordable. As well as Sigma and Real Techniques.

I bought the stippling brush by real techniques at the weekend and it's literally amazing!

RT brushes are fabulous. I use the expert face brush on myself every day. Blends out my foundation in 30 seconds flat!!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Just like to say when I use hand as a palette it is washed and sanitised with hand gel and between clients as out my brushes.
Many famous MUA's use their hands too. I have used metal and plastic palettes AND ended up dropping them or getting them knocked out of my hand when working in a crowded room lol! Each to their own I think but I like the way the make up starts to warm up in the skin prior to application.
Anyway I live the RT brushes and have quite a few BUT I have had to return 3 of the stippling brushes and the last swap - the new retractable kabuki has just list the entire head of bristles - as did the stippling - only used it twice on myself so hadn't even cleaned it yet. I've emailed RT so will let you know the reply.
X

Just like to say when I use hand as a palette it is washed and sanitised with hand gel and between clients as out my brushes.
Many famous MUA's use their hands too. I have used metal and plastic palettes AND ended up dropping them or getting them knocked out of my hand when working in a crowded room lol! Each to their own I think but I like the way the make up starts to warm up in the skin prior to application.
Anyway I live the RT brushes and have quite a few BUT I have had to return 3 of the stippling brushes and the last swap - the new retractable kabuki has just list the entire head of bristles - as did the stippling - only used it twice on myself so hadn't even cleaned it yet. I've emailed RT so will let you know the reply.
X

Oh no that's not good :( hope you get a replacement that is how it should be.
I've been using mine for the past couple of weeks and it's been fine so fast fingers crossed.
I ordered a couple more this morning. Can't wait till they arrive x

Latest posts

Back