My 2 cents on nail dust extractors

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailtechJoe

IN:@thenailmaestro
Reaction score
Hi,

Not long ago, I asked for other geeks recommendations on dust extractors for a small table.
I do not endorse any company or work for any of them, this is my own research in dust extraction products available in the market and I was considering the following:

The Ravair was featured in a youtube independent review and I found that the plastic body was not acetone proof. It will extract the dust with only one position which is from the top. The fan extractor was loud when set to maximum which I could not find any specifications available on dB output.

The Valentino Gen III adds height on the desk and it would make a client more uncomfortable on a set height desk and seat (unless your client's seat is adjustable). Although from the perspective of being mobile, this was a good candidate to go for. It doesn't have a carbon filter, so for nail techs working on gels only, would be a good option.

There are other US based products like the sunflower or German builds which are known for their quality and durability (these were high on my list), but getting spare parts or issues in getting spare parts may be problematic for a UK based customer because of:

-Volatility in Brexit with price swings and exchange rates.
-Volatility in new custom rules set when we divorce from the EU.
-Extra delays and extra import charges that are involved when importing goods from a foreign country.

I then stumbled on a company called Vodex which is based in Southampton. They sell the Pure Beauty PB90 or PB180 or the file-o-tray which comes with the PB180.

The file-o-tray looks like the valentino in terms of functionality; it is a simple plastic tray which has a tube attached and sucks the dust away. It needs the PB180 for this type of setup as the PB180 has more suction than the PB90. In terms of power consumption, the PB180 consumes around 140W and PB90 around 60W. Exact specs are on their website. The file-o-tray was more expensive than purchasing the PB180 alone and could not justify the cost for a plastic tray - it also adds height which otherwise, I would have gone for the Valentino.
https://www.vodex.co.uk/uploads/media_items/pb180-data-sheet-download-pdf.original.pdf

The PB90 and PB180 are self enclosed units which have a large carbon and F8 pre filter with a powerful motor and are one speed units unlike the other products such as the Ravair or Valentino. There is a cup that you can place on one of the outlets to create more suction on the other hose or divide suction power between both hoses on two nail stations.

The PB180 offers more suction than the PB90; PB180 has two tubes with a bigger motor and the PB90 has one tube with a smaller motor. When activated, all you hear is a humm which is about 55dB - anything above 85dB will cause hearing damage over a prolonged time. The vodex website does offer brochures with detailed specifications for each product so you know exactly what you are getting.

You also have the option on whether you want to add a VOC sensor (Volatile Organic Compound) at an extra, but I chose not to.

Installation:

I decided to get the PB180 as it was slightly more expensive than the PB90 model and offers more bang for the buck. Installation was simple with the clamps provided and it will fit on any table desk as the clamps can be adjusted. Although I found the hoses to be a little finicky, there are support videos available on how to stop them from drooping over which is simply to tighten the hose.

My impression:
On my first test run, I could see the dust being sucked away and I could not feel the stuffiness that I would get when filing nails. The humm was reassuring that the product was working and doing its job which is to extract dust and vapours from my working area. Still early days, but will update when needed :)

Attachments

• 20170821_150721_jpg.jpg
    20170821_150721_jpg.jpg
    876.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Hi,
I am not sure if this is an independent review or not but plainly you have only actually used the Vodex extraction unit. This may or may not, be an effective machine but when comparing units in an independent trial, it is usual to compare "like for like" and if that is not possible at least compare the effectiveness like for like, and or, the price. This Vodex Extractor is £650 plus vat and the VOC sensor you mention a further £175 plus vat, replacement filters are £90 plus vat.
There are other similar units, in Purex Desks for example, that you could compare like for like and are in a similar price range.
The Valentino Unit is not comparable as this is only a dust extractor and the price reflects this.
The Ravair Dust and Fume Extractor contains activated carbon in the filter and will help with fumes and remove all airborne dust in the therapist and client breathing area. It has a air flow rating of 250m3/hour (Independent LEV Test available) at 300mm from the surface as opposed to 180m3/hour from the Vodex Extractor at the face of the hose.
The Ravair Extractor also provides 5 times more extraction than the minimum requirement of 0.5m/s required by Cohss SR13, and importantly the price is £189.95 plus vat and the replacement filters £19.95 both with free delivery. Not everyone can afford nearly £800 and over £100 for a replacement filter.
If the only drawbacks to the Ravair Extractor, that you mention, is the plastic base is "not acetone proof" and is "loud on maximum" then you could always keep acetone away from the base and turn the fan down as it has 3 settings.

Hi,
I am not sure if this is an independent review or not but plainly you have only actually used the Vodex extraction unit. This may or may not, be an effective machine but when comparing units in an independent trial, it is usual to compare "like for like" and if that is not possible at least compare the effectiveness like for like, and or, the price. This Vodex Extractor is £650 plus vat and the VOC sensor you mention a further £175 plus vat, replacement filters are £90 plus vat.
There are other similar units, in Purex Desks for example, that you could compare like for like and are in a similar price range.
The Valentino Unit is not comparable as this is only a dust extractor and the price reflects this.
The Ravair Dust and Fume Extractor contains activated carbon in the filter and will help with fumes and remove all airborne dust in the therapist and client breathing area. It has a air flow rating of 250m3/hour (Independent LEV Test available) at 300mm from the surface as opposed to 180m3/hour from the Vodex Extractor at the face of the hose.
The Ravair Extractor also provides 5 times more extraction than the minimum requirement of 0.5m/s required by Cohss SR13, and importantly the price is £189.95 plus vat and the replacement filters £19.95 both with free delivery. Not everyone can afford nearly £800 and over £100 for a replacement filter.
If the only drawbacks to the Ravair Extractor, that you mention, is the plastic base is "not acetone proof" and is "loud on maximum" then you could always keep acetone away from the base and turn the fan down as it has 3 settings.

I checked your website at the time I was deciding to purchase a unit and you did not have the specifications hosted on your website at the time. I am independent, no one is paying me for reviewing the Vodex PB180 and all I have done is to lay out my decision process laying out the pros and cons in selecting an extractor unit that is of good build and quality and offers after sales support whenever things go wrong. This is something that I have not seen in Salon Geek, hence why I am doing this thread.
Vodex being a local UK company that manufactures and distributes ventilation units and offers after sales support, fits the bill.

"If the only drawbacks to the Ravair Extractor, that you mention, is the plastic base is "not acetone proof" and is "loud on maximum" then you could always keep acetone away from the base and turn the fan down as it has 3 settings."

In my view, this comment is not acceptable to a nail technician customer as I always work with acetone :) I would be paying almost £200 to ruin a plastic body which is a shame. Perhaps the designers of the Ravair should have thought of this issue in the first place and make a new model that is acetone proof. If I also were to turn down the setting, it would defeat the purpose of having an air flow rating of 250m3/hour?

"The Ravair Dust and Fume Extractor contains activated carbon in the filter and will help with fumes and remove all airborne dust in the therapist and client breathing area. It has a air flow rating of 250m3/hour (Independent LEV Test available) at 300mm from the surface as opposed to 180m3/hour from the Vodex Extractor at the face of the hose."

You have also omitted how loud the Ravair can be at the maximum setting. I don't want a deaf client :) Please do not cherry pick on stats. What matters is also how deep the carbon filter is in order to absorb vapours effectively. You also fail to mention how deep the gas cartridge present in the Ravair is.

"High quality systems use absorbent beds, preferably 4 inches thick or more, to ensure greater absorption."

http://files.nailsmag.com/Handouts/Inhalation.pdf

"This Vodex Extractor is £650 plus vat and the VOC sensor you mention a further £175 plus vat, replacement filters are £90 plus vat."

I selected the non LED option as I already have a lamp so it was cheaper at £515+VAT and not £650+VAT as your mention which brings 2 hoses with task lights. VOC sensor is pointless so I didn't get that option :) Sensors will fail and need replacing over time.
Particulate filters only cost £12.50 + VAT for a pack of 5. What you refer to is the gas cartridge filter which is £90+VAT although replacing them should be done twice a year on a heavy use. On a lighter use, I don't think these would be replaced that often.

"Absorbent beds eventually become saturated, making them ineffective, and, therefore, must be replaced on a regular basis, e.g. twice per year."

http://files.nailsmag.com/Handouts/Inhalation.pdf

I don't see how the Ravair can be modified to allow for pedicure services?

Cheers,

Joe

Whilst I have no desire to get into a tit for tat discussion with you regarding any Vodex Extractor, as I have only read their specifications online and not actually used one, the fact remains you are basing your comparisons on extraction units that are not only NOT, like for like, but you haven't even tried or tested.
The dba of the Ravair fan on high is 59.5 without any covering or soundproofing with filters etc, and is clearly stated in the specification as "about the same as a hairdryer" which is more relevant to a potential customer, in my opinion, as not many people would know how loud 59.5dba would be.
The Ravair Nail Dust Extractor does not claim to have a "gas cartridge" and be "4 inches deep" it is basically a Nail Dust Extractor that will "help" with fumes. The Ravair Desk Top or Floor Standing Fume Extractors will remove fumes and odours in the whole room if the correct model is used. (www.ravair.co.uk). That is why your comparisons are not correct.

Incidentally Acetone is a solvent and if you were to get some on the arm or body of the Vodex Extractor it would probably mark it, but as I haven't tried this, I wouldn't make that claim.

Also the article that you quote from makes interesting reading and is basically correct but the whole thing is flawed, in that they have completely got the chemical process wrong. Gases and Fumes are adsorbed onto the surface area of activated carbon and not absorbed. These are two completely different processes. (check out "The Science" on the Ravair Website).

Ravair Ltd is a UK company that offers pre sales free advice, after sales support and full warranty's as would any UK and EU company by law, and money back guarantees that are not law and are not offered by any other company in this field, as far as we are aware.

Hi,

"Whilst I have no desire to get into a tit for tat discussion with you..."

You accused me on your first post of not being independent and I am merely defending my position and views on why I selected a product based on the information made available on the companies websites. As a prospective buyer, I have the right to grill you on questions and claims that you make. The onus is on ravair (or you the distributor) to defend the claims being made.

"The Ravair Nail Dust Extractor does not claim to have a "gas cartridge" and be "4 inches deep" it is basically a Nail Dust Extractor that will "help" with fumes. The Ravair Desk Top or Floor Standing Fume Extractors will remove fumes and odours in the whole room if the correct model is used. (www.ravair.co.uk). That is why your comparisons are not correct."

If I were to compare like for like, then I would compare the PB180 with the Ravair Salon Pro model which costs £550 (doesn't say if it with VAT or not) and doesn't offer any specifications. Although since the Salon pro model does not have a hose, it cannot provide extraction from the source; it provides a general salon area extraction which is not what I want. What I need is a product that can extract dust and fumes from my breathing zone and neither are able to to meet those claims based on the specifications that were made available at the time.

On the Ravair "about us" website, I notice that there is a sentence which to me is rather deceptive. If Ravair claims that no other product works as they should, they should provide experiments with test results on models that are like-for-like and not simply put a blank accusatory statement like that.

"There are thousands or different air purifiers and nail dust extractors on the market and whist most don't work at all, some work to an extent, but NONE, REALLY WORK."

On the science page, they describe the science behind carbon adsorbtion, but there are no tests to verify if their products work. Interestingly, on your science page, Ravair makes a statement that the activated carbon bed needs to be of a certain depth to actually work. I already provided you with a paper that states 4" or deeper.

"The bed of Activated Carbon has to have sufficient depth to allow the gases time to pass through the carbon and the molecules to stick to it. Nearly all Air Purifiers on the market do not have this depth of Carbon and do not use specific Activated Carbon for a specific type of gas."

Since you also have accused the authors of the paper of getting the whole process wrong, I am making enquiries to the authors involved as to why their chemical process is wrong. I am aware of the difference between absorption and adsorption and it could have been an innocent spelling mistake.

"Also the article that you quote from makes interesting reading and is basically correct but the whole thing is flawed, in that they have completely got the chemical process wrong. Gases and Fumes are adsorbed onto the surface area of activated carbon and not absorbed. These are two completely different processes. (check out "The Science" on the Ravair Website)."

Cheers,

Joe

Attachments

• ravair about us.png
    ravair about us.png
    138.4 KB · Views: 29
Hi,
I am sure your initial post was written in good faith and well meant but you did not review the products fairly or "like for like" as you now accept "If I were to compare like for like, then I would compare the PB180 with the Ravair Salon Pro model".
You have every right to ask questions of us as distributors or the manufacturers of any claims made on their websites. You did not do this, you basically stated that the Vodex Extractor was superior to other Extractors on the market and now agree that this was not done on a like for like basis.
If you had expressed your opinion, that the Vodex Extractor was the best and most impressive extractor that you had seen etc, etc, then no one including me would have a problem with this.
By comparing other extractors that you have never seen or used and giving your derogatory opinions on an open forum based on what you have read, without permission or the knowledge of the manufacturer is bordering on, or may be, libellous.
I am very surprised that this site has allowed you to post these opinions and other that other companies haven't taken issue. To accuse reputable companies such as Aerovex, the manufacturer of The Sunflower of warranty and spare parts issues is certainly libellous, in my view.
I would say that these companies haven't seen your post but no doubt they will eventually.

Hi,
I am sure your initial post was written in good faith and well meant but you did not review the products fairly or "like for like" as you now accept "If I were to compare like for like, then I would compare the PB180 with the Ravair Salon Pro model".
You have every right to ask questions of us as distributors or the manufacturers of any claims made on their websites. You did not do this, you basically stated that the Vodex Extractor was superior to other Extractors on the market and now agree that this was not done on a like for like basis.
If you had expressed your opinion, that the Vodex Extractor was the best and most impressive extractor that you had seen etc, etc, then no one including me would have a problem with this.
By comparing other extractors that you have never seen or used and giving your derogatory opinions on an open forum based on what you have read, without permission or the knowledge of the manufacturer is bordering on, or may be, libellous.
I am very surprised that this site has allowed you to post these opinions and other that other companies haven't taken issue. To accuse reputable companies such as Aerovex, the manufacturer of The Sunflower of warranty and spare parts issues is certainly libellous, in my view.
I would say that these companies haven't seen your post but no doubt they will eventually.

Hi,

"You did not do this, you basically stated that the Vodex Extractor was superior to other Extractors on the market and now agree that this was not done on a like for like basis."

Where did I say that the Vodex extractor was superior to other extractors? I think you are putting words in my mouth that I never said. I never said that the Vodex PB180 was the best extractor in the market. What I did was compare specifications made available on the companies websites and made a judgement on which was the best for my scenario - something that lacked in salongeek and perhaps now I know why others haven't in fear companies might throw a hissy fit. Other people's scenarios will be different. You are the only distributor so far to have thrown a tantrum on my thread for opinions expressed on a product that I have chosen which is not yours.

"If you had expressed your opinion, that the Vodex Extractor was the best and most impressive extractor that you had seen etc, etc, then no one including me would have a problem with this."

Again, where did I say that the Vodex extractor is the best and most impressive extractor? I have made criticisms of Vodex own products too if you had bothered reading them.

"To accuse reputable companies such as Aerovex, the manufacturer of The Sunflower of warranty and spare parts issues is certainly libellous, in my view.
I would say that these companies haven't seen your post but no doubt they will eventually."

I have made no accusations, again, you are putting words in my mouth. I am glad that I have not made any purchases from your company as what you are doing now is an attempt to strike fear. No doubt other readers will know about.

Have a nice weekend.

Last edited:
Well this has been a very interesting post :)

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back