My base coat gel has crystalized

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

my opi gelcolor base coat has crystalized.My fault as i most probably didn't close the bottle properly!

Anyway im in a bit of a pickle and wanted to know if i could use gelish base coat until my delivery of opigel base coat arrives. I have a full diary and don't want to let customers down last minute.

Any advice appreciated!

xxx

You know that systems are systems because they work best together as they are formulated to work in synergy.

I would feel I was letting my clients down much more by breaking the system, letting my business down by risking service breakdown and having to do free repairs on disappointed clients and letting myself down by hoodwinking clients who are paying for one thing and then getting another!!

I'm sure you want a different answer, but you won't be getting it from me. :hug:

Is OPI Gel Color available to buy at Sallys yet? Hopefully a knowledgeable geek can advise + the OP might be able to pop to their nearest salon services shop and get some new base asap!

thanks everyone for your responses... been to sallys, capital, and aston & fincher and they are all either out of stock or not selling it. Have been letting clients know about cancellations.

xxx

aw, what a shame. hope you can get your hands on some opi base soon....just wondering if you can't gelish your clients (with their consent obvs!) instead - assuming you have colours + the whole system for gelish as you had gelish foundation?

I only use Gelish base/top it off (because it lasts SO much longer than Shellac/Opi Gel Color) with Gelish, Shellac or Opi Gel Color polishes and have never had a problem! I know you're not supposed to but I do it everyday!!!

I only use Gelish base/top it off (because it lasts SO much longer than Shellac/Opi Gel Color) with Gelish, Shellac or Opi Gel Color polishes and have never had a problem! I know you're not supposed to but I do it everyday!!!

You are right, you are not supposed to 'mess around' and this is BAD advice to be giving out to new technicians on this forum, who might be influenced by the incorrect thing you are doing. You are being dishonest with your clients, mucking about with the systems and for what? I hear allot of people in the States are lying to their clients and saying they use Shellac when they are not ... Ridiculous.

One of the absolutely key features of why Shellac really wraps off in 10 minutes or less, is the Shellac Base coat, which contains 'quick release' polymers that loosen super fast and leave the nail surface clean and undamaged. It is a KEY step in the Shellac process and Shellac will not be the same without it.

Latest posts

Back