My Business (Or lack of?!)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhiannon

Reaction score
Hello every1 hope everyone had a lovely christmas and new year!! :) i really need some advise from you all.about 2 months ago i started rentin a room in a hairdressers for £80 a week although after a couple weeks my boss decided to put in down to £60 for my first month.the only trouble im having is getting the clients :( :( the only "few" ive had are people from the hairdressers which is great don't get me wrong but i have advertised but haven't had any success :( :( i know i haven't given it very long but i am quickly getting into debt and need to come up with a solution fast!! any advise would be much appreciated :) thankyou

Rhiannon

wow congratulations on ur new venture, how exiting! well i did a little research into how long it takes 2 builld up a cliantelle with a new business a while ago and shockingly, a year was the most common reply. the only advice i can give is 2 advertise like mad, try and get family and friends in at a discount price so u 'look' busy and they will hopefully pass on how good u are etc, try and do some good value packages 2 lure people in, and maby have a look at the prices salons around u are charging 2 make sure u are not overpriced etc which would instantly put some people off. goodluck and keep us posted xx :hug:

Here's a few bit of info that i've found useful over the years ~~

I would have leaflets on the reception desk...cards, price lists, flyers - that type of thing and ask the other members of staff to hand one to each client as they make an appointment.

Also ask to have some info at each work station - i used to have a mini display book out for clients to read through whilst having their hair done.

Think of a few offers to get clients through the door - refer a friend offers always go down well!

Ask to put up a poster in the window of the hairdressers so that passer by know your there

Not sure what treatments you offer so this may not be much help....During quieter times go to each client and offer them a mini teatment like a free hand massage or half price file and polish (make sure its ok with the stylists!!!)

I'll put some more suggestions up later....Hope this helps so far!

xx

Is it nail that you are doing or other treatments?

Get some flyers, get ya wollies on and hand them out in the street that the salon is on. If its not on a busy street go to the nearest busy street (were people go shopping) tell them they will get 10% off with the flyer.

x

Hi Rhiannon,

I started in a hairdressers on November 1st 2007 and it is going very slowly. so far I have seen 23 clients since then, some of them more than once.
I have managed to cover my 'reduced' rent every week excepting one week.

My reduced rate has now been lifted, so am not sure if I'm going to cover the rent let alone make any money this month.

The HD downstairs are great, I have my leaflets and posters displayed everywhere. I can mingle with the customers and talk to them/hand my leaflets out.

I have offered free hand massages or mini Indian head massages a few times to get people into my domain.

I have sold loads of gift vouchers so hoping that generates some business as they expire end of Feb.

Have given free back massage gift vouchers to 5 local school christmas draws for 'free' publicity.

Have spent £40 on a few leaflet drops (which so far haven't generated a single client).

I must admit to obsessing totally on covering each week's rent, and have been known to do a little dance once that is covered, as after the nominal treatments, the rest is profit.

I heard that it takes 3 years to make a business, but a year sounds more feasible.

I also offer special offer treatments to last a full month. November's special offer was a 40 minute Reiki for £15. December's special offer was a 30 minute back massage for £15.

January is NEW YEAR - NEW YOU DETOX SPECIALS (I have 4 recommended treatments).

I am already starting to order the valentines and mothers day gift vouchers and postcards from vistaprint.

BTW I have NO clients booked in for next week, so already worrying!!!

Hi, I don't run my own business, but work in a salon, and we have been very quiet, up and down the whole time.
Are you based in a town centre or out on the outskirts? Perhaps go into the town centre handing out leaflets with special offers on, or go into businessess and ask if they can put price lists in staff room?

Hope it picks up for you.
xx

I am sorry to hear you are struggling but you are not alone. My work has slowed right down and the phone has virtually stopped ringing. Last year Jan I was really busy right up until the awful rain started in the summer and the interest rates went up.
There is no-one in my town doing exceptionally well as people just dont have spare cash at the moment!
Why not try and arrange a pamper evening in a local school or club. Invite different therapists along aswell as retailers. If you charge a small fee say £5.00 - £10.00 per therapist to advertise and demonstrate their business' and charge £5.00- £10.00 per ticket so that the public can enjoy say upto 5 mini treatments, its a great way to get your work seen and I have never failed to get clients this way.
Womens institues are always a good start and you could offer students rates thro a local college, failing all of this you are just going to have to get your coat on and get out into the high street with some cards.
Good luck
Charlotte x

If it is any consolation I have been full time self employed since last april and apart from my spray tanning which has been great and waxing I am still nowhere near where I want to be.

I do make my rent each week as it is so low but I am still not in a position where I can pay myself anything and my meagre savings are dwindling fast!

So, I am going to give it as long as I can (well at least until I have finished my college course in June) and if things haven't improved by then I will have to get a part time job to help pay my bills.

Having said all of that I have been VERY VERY LAZY and not done any leaflet drops at all or put any posters in the window as it can be a bit of a battle to get the poster in there. I have tried advertising in the local rags but that has cost me loads and brought me zilch!

Good luck though hunni and I hope in the months to come we can both post saying how well we are doing.
:hug:

how about offering a discount to the hairdressing clients

say 10% off if they have a treatment within 48 hours of getting their hair done

Latest posts

Back