My clients got a fungal infection

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
Went to an L&P client on Saturday and she has been to Docs, who didn't know what a brown mark was on her nail so sent her to hospital - where a lady got a metal tool and pinged the nail off and filed her free edge down to a slither...

I could still see a slight brown mark so I said i couldn't put a nail on and to go to her docs and get permission and check this was cleared up- Now the client was on tablets and one of this side effects was quoted as causing a nail fungal infection - she has stopped taking these tablets as apparently they were also showing other side effects and the doc thinks she had an allergice reation to them (her words)...

I am really worried i think it Looked like quite brown the tiny tiny mark that was left but i cant beleive the hospital didnt soak the enchancment off in acetone for one and thin her nail plate is now...

My worry is that the doc didnt know what this was in the first place!!

What do I do

What is wrong with medical people, do they not realise what damaged this does to a nail!

Fab Freak said:
Went to an L&P client on Saturday and she has been to Docs, who didn't know what a brown mark was on her nail so sent her to hospital - where a lady got a metal tool and pinged the nail off and filed her free edge down to a slither...

I could still see a slight brown mark so I said i couldn't put a nail on and to go to her docs and get permission and check this was cleared up- Now the client was on tablets and one of this side effects was quoted as causing a nail fungal infection - she has stopped taking these tablets as apparently they were also showing other side effects and the doc thinks she had an allergice reation to them (her words)...

I am really worried i think it Looked like quite brown the tiny tiny mark that was left but i cant beleive the hospital didnt soak the enchancment off in acetone for one and thin her nail plate is now...

My worry is that the doc didnt know what this was in the first place!!

What do I do

I'm sure the doc did not know what it was ! they know very little about nail infections full stop. Hospitals know even less and I'm sure would never have thought of soaking off in acetone!

I would Wait for whatever the hospital report says this is. Sounds bacterial to me, especially if there was no onycholysis present. I would also think it would be present in more than one nail if it were a fungal infection. Bacterial infections are not always green, they sometimes look browney coloured too.

Thank you for the advice...I am seeing her again this Friday, I am really worried if she asks for my advice,

It was definately only on one nail..

If its bacterial does that mean I could be the only way she got this :sad: I take a massive amount of care in my prep and use scrub fresh really vigourusly so I cant imagine how I might have caused this...if it wasnt the medicine she was taking at the time..

God I feel sick with fear about this whole situation.. :cry:

Louise, I'm sure YOU didn't cause anything!

These things happen sometimes when a client bashes a nail and moisture leaks underneath. That's life I'm afraid.

The other possibility is that her medicin she is taking has had this side effect altho only on one nail is a bit strange.

If the nail is not fungal, then you can overlay it provided no onychlysis is present. She may be overreacting because she has been told that a nail infection might be side effect of her meds. She must have been given some sort of answer as to what has caused this by the hoispital or why did they bother to remove nail and enahncement?

Ther is no need to be sick with fear. Lets wait and see what the medicos have to day.

geeg said:
Louise, I'm sure YOU didn't cause anything!

These things happen sometimes when a client bashes a nail and moisture leaks underneath. That's life I'm afraid.

The other possibility is that her medicin she is taking has had this side effect altho only on one nail is a bit strange.

If the nail is not fungal, then you can overlay it provided no onychlysis is present. She may be overreacting because she has been told that a nail infection might be side effect of her meds. She must have been given some sort of answer as to what has caused this by the hoispital or why did they bother to remove nail and enahncement?

Ther is no need to be sick with fear. Lets wait and see what the medicos have to day.

I know you are right, sometimes it is hard to handle a new situation and not take the emotion out of it..Once good part of all this is she has commented how I use the antibacterial wash and my nas antispectic spray along with scrub fresh and her last technician used none!! So I dont think she has lost faith in my hygene.

There was no Onychlysis present on Saturday which is good.

The client is off going to York races Saturday and is hopeing to have a another tip and overlay on by then, which I hope I can do if its all clear.

Should I call her and see if she has been to the Doctors, prior to her appointment on Friday?

I really am keen to see if there is any signs left now and if there is would I be better using a clear overlay so it can be seen if it starts to come back?

ANY THOUGHTS anyone?

Fab Freak said:
ANY THOUGHTS anyone?
For what my opinion's worth, i dont see why you shouldnt call her. It can only be construed as a good thing that you're showing interest then decide what to do from there.

OMG - I feel sick just reading this!

This happened to me about 4 weeks ago and of course you just automatically think it's your fault. I still do infact.

My clients nail was sore and infected and she took her nails off herself!!! Anyway, she was given Anti-biotics from the doctor and I saw her last week and the whole nail has came off at the Matrix. I'm praying that the nail will grow back eventually - even though it might not be my fault as I too am meticulous with my prep - so much so you can't breath with anti-bac spray - ha ha.

I can fully sympathise with how you feel. I haven't been doing nails that long but when something like this happens so early in my Nail Tech Career, it does knock you for six huh?

Fingers (and nails) crossed that this won't happen again.

Hope it all works out fine for you.

x

Well.. tonights the nite I return to do my clients nail art and possible a replacement L&P on her pinkie if there is no sign of any infection either bacterial or fungal etc....

I am really nervous and not looking forward to this appointment - I have a worrying feeling that if it is still present and when I tell per I can't put a new nail on, I will be kicked into touch, but what will be will be I suppose :sad:

If she has had a bacterial infection, there is no reason at all why you shouldn't overlay or tip and overlay the nail.

Even if some of he stain remains, the infection will be gone. But find out first what the verdict was at the hospital. Bacterial or fungal or do they even know???

Job done..no sign of any kind of disorder whatso every put new nail on and did nail art...very happy client and very happy me...

and Gigi thanks for your advice. It gave me the confidence I needed on the day....I was ready to deal with the situation professionally, and wont be so nervou on my next encounter of any nail evils..

Latest posts

Back