My dog is ill, need some advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicUnique

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 6/7 year old staffy who 2 weeks ago suddenly developed a limp, and was in pain. I took her straight to the vets, who said she was getting to the age where arthritis is common. She took a biopsy of a lump on her back leg (its her front end that's painful) and prescribed her Metacam for the pain. She's on a diet and not to exercise her.
Anyway. The results came back clear her lump is just a cyst.
She is still limping although appears to be in no pain. She's still eating and drinking.
The vet wanted to xray her but I quite simply can't afford to pay £200 for the xrays. She developed an ear infection this week, which is now under control and being treated.

She's very grey and old looking for her age but a much loved family pet. I won't let her suffer and I refuse to drag her life out for my own benefit while she is doped up on pain meds. Currently she is on Metacam once a day.

Where do I draw the line? My biggest concern is my 2 young children (2 and 5 months) I'm always very cautious with them around any animals and am terrified that if she is having a sore day they hurt her which would cause her to snap at them. I keep telling myself she is an animal, but its so difficult when I've had her since she was 6weeks old she's a part of pur family. My husband and I can't decide what to do for the best. I don't want to rush into having her put to sleep, and I don't want to keep her suffering.

Thought I would post on here for some advice from people that don't know me or my family or dog as feelings can get in the way. At what point do I draw the line and have her put to sleep?

My pup got hot by a car and has a funny knee we give her arnica tablets and symphytum 6 which the vet recommended as it helps the joints x

Oh no! Poor dog, Hope you ok, I'm a dog lover and I've had my dog nearly 3 years and couldn't imagine anything like this to happen.

Do you not have insurance?

My opinion is and I don't want this to come out the wrong way, 'a dog is not just for Christmas'.

It's really hard to comment as I have no idea how much pain your dog is in! Has the vet suggested anything?

Also on the money side of making your dog better, can you not try speaking to local animal charities ect and see if they can help.
X

Hi i totally under-stand how you feel, we lost our scottish terrier milly last year she was only 18months and was very sudden ;-(

My kids took it better than me :) they are stronger than u think

It really depends on what the vet says and how much she is suffering ;-(

xx

As last post said do you have insurance? I not, might be worth getting for future.
My dog cost a fortune as she got older, worth every penny though!
My dog limped an at point couldn't get up, this happened a couple of times and we were concerned. Turned out she was just greedy and was stretching herself too much to jump up to the kitchen counters!
As she got older though and did struggle with joints our vet recommended vitamins! Cod liver oil an devils claw. They weren't specially for dogs so check what your vet says but I found lots of comments in Internet about other people doing the same.
Hope your little doggie is ok. Xx

Your dog is on very strong pain relief, you need to be having this conversation with the vet and even then, they will tell you to make this decision by yourself.

We lost our girl a few months ago. She was only four and the centre of our world. I'm still devastated and sometimes it's all I can do to barely function for the day.

I'm so sorry for this to be happening for your dog and your family.

Hi is your dog better when on the Metacam? If she is, then it's easing her pain. 2 weeks doesn't seem a long time for a dog to have a limp to me...it seems it could be as simple as a sprain, couldn't it? And 6/7 is not that old. I would say you need to speak to the vet again about this. I know it's expensive but you might have to bite the bullet for peace of mind. At the end of the day it's you that knows her best, she's your dog.

Good luckI hope everything works out ok c

Aw you poor thing, I know how upset you must be. I've had success with cod liver oil when my dogs arthritis is at him, it really put a spring in the step ! Might be a cheap thing to try yourself? I put a spoon in the dog food and he loves it. I hope it works.

What breed is your dog 6/7 is.not that old for most breeds. I dont mean.this to.sound harsh and i get that money may be tight. BUT i cant understand why your are evan.thinking about this when your dog has only been ill two weeks. Im sure their is more.that can be done to help him/her. £200 is not alot of money when your talking about the difference between life and death.

Their is absolutly no amount of money that would be to much if it was to keep my dog happy healthy and alive.

we once spent £3000 on my cat when he was only 3 months old at the time and went on to live 10 years.

i now pay £20 a month insurence and i no longer have to worry about such things. X

pahaps ypur vet has a payment plan sceme in place. X
Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

I've got 2 Cavalier King Charles spaniels and their life expectancy is around 10. One of them has a serious heart murmur and has been on 10 heart tablets a day for 2 years...he has to have fluid drained from his abdomen every month or 2 and costs me about £200 a month...which I can barely afford. He is 10 years old (nearly 11) The other one has been on Metacam for around 2 years too, only 5 ml a day and he is like a spring chicken! He is 15years old! I can't bare the thought of losing either of them, but if I ever feel that their treatment is too much for them I'll stop. At the moment, their tails never stop and they seem happy. You need to be guided by them - no one knows their animal better than the owners. Good luck xx

Thanks everyone for your advice! I've spoken to the vet several times, in the past fortnight we've spoken on the phone twice and been in twice for checks (before the xray suggestion) she was the one that told me to see how she goes on the Metacam, it seems to help her pain and she seems happier, wags her tail etc but can't jump up onto sofa etc looses her footing and the vet says its both her shoulders that are the problem. She's on cod liver oil, has been all her life its great stuff for them!! Will ask about vitamins though!

But your right the vet has advised it is my decision as to when is the right time. I don't have insurance, and I wish I did.

I'm fully aware that a dog is not just for Christmas. I've had her since she was 6 weeks old.
Im only facing what could be the reality of this situation, and trying to be sensible about it. Trust me I do not want to have to think about having her put to sleep, it brings me to tears even thinking about it. ...but its on advice from the vet may I add!!

I'm terribly sorry to hear of all the doggies you've lost, its heartbreaking Xxxxxx

I would speak to your vet about this subject if i were you hunny.

My baby (labrador) lost the use of her legs one morning and we rushed her to the local vet. The vet said it is a common problem in the breed and we should put her down, though there was a chance to recover.

That sentence alone stopped me from putting her down straight away. We took her home to see how she got on and brought her back later for another checkup with a different vet at the same practice. He basically said the same thing, but had a completely different manner which made us feel much more comfortable with him.

The next day we made an appointment for him to put her down. We knew it was time. Although she had the use of her legs back, she was wobbly. She barely ate and lost about 5lb, but snatched ham out of my fingers, totally unlike her. She didn't lick us and fawn over us like she normally did but mostly just laid down and most tellingly, our other dog left her completely alone.

She was 14 and it was unbelievably difficult making the decision, but we had no doubts at all that it was time.

If you are feeling unsure, speak to your vet...that is what they are there for. If you don't feel 100% comfortable, speak with a different vet. It made a big difference for us.

Oh and i no longer have pet insurance either as it didn't cover half the stuff our animals have needed and i just felt ripped off by it tbh xx

Thanks hun, will get a 2nd vets opinion xx

I can't see why a vet would suggest putting down a perfectly healthy 7 year old dog that has arthritis, arthritis isn't a life threatening illness.
My dog has had it from aged 2, hes now nearly 8 and I wouldn't even contemplate putting him to sleep for that reason.
There are many things you can give dogs for arthritis but without an actual xray you can't say for definite thats what it is.

I would speak to your vet about this subject if i were you hunny.

My baby (labrador) lost the use of her legs one morning and we rushed her to the local vet. The vet said it is a common problem in the breed and we should put her down, though there was a chance to recover.

That sentence alone stopped me from putting her down straight away. We took her home to see how she got on and brought her back later for another checkup with a different vet at the same practice. He basically said the same thing, but had a completely different manner which made us feel much more comfortable with him.

The next day we made an appointment for him to put her down. We knew it was time. Although she had the use of her legs back, she was wobbly. She barely ate and lost about 5lb, but snatched ham out of my fingers, totally unlike her. She didn't lick us and fawn over us like she normally did but mostly just laid down and most tellingly, our other dog left her completely alone.

She was 14 and it was unbelievably difficult making the decision, but we had no doubts at all that it was time.

If you are feeling unsure, speak to your vet...that is what they are there for. If you don't feel 100% comfortable, speak with a different vet. It made a big difference for us.

Oh and i no longer have pet insurance either as it didn't cover half the stuff our animals have needed and i just felt ripped off by it tbh xx

There is a difference between a 14 year old and a 7 year old.All dogs should have insurance it also covers 3rd party someone i know had to pay a fortune to someone in car repairs because their dog ran out and the car driver swerved to avoid it and hit a fence.

unfortunately insurance is now too late because most new insurers would not want to cover an existing problem.My vets will do a credit scheme so you can pay for treatment monthly perhaps your vet will do the same.

Is your dog making any progress? X x

I'm so sorry to read this sad thread.
I really hope that there is a happy ending to it.

I can't see why a vet would suggest putting down a perfectly healthy 7 year old dog that has arthritis, arthritis isn't a life threatening illness.
My dog has had it from aged 2, hes now nearly 8 and I wouldn't even contemplate putting him to sleep for that reason.
There are many things you can give dogs for arthritis but without an actual xray you can't say for definite thats what it is.

I agree entirely, my last Jack Russell had hip problems and was on Metacam for 8 years, which kept her pain free. Yes she had trouble jumping on sofas etc, but I know plenty have people that have trouble doing that! It was her heart that got her in the end.

Thanks for everyones comments. She's still no better and had a funny turn the other night, she was shaking and her teeth looked like they were chattering and she was drooling (she never drools) I picked up the phone to phone the vet, and she snapped out of it. And wagged her tail. Her hair is thinning out now too she's got bits that look nearly bald. anytime she has to move quick she looses footing and falls over. but still no.sign of any pain.... I'm taking her back to the vets next week if she's still the same (as that'll be her first dose of Metacam finished) so will see what they say.

Have you tried Glucosamine?? This can be purchased in Tesco, Holland & Barrett and im sure other supermarkets/chemists etc. Glucosamine is involved in the production of cartilage which is necessary for healthy joint movement. Personally, I would try everything before making the heart wrenching decision to end this little life. Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back