My fault, the salon's or both?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSKUCE

Reaction score
I am hoping someone can advise me here.
I went to a new salon hoping to get a nice dark auburny red. I've dyed my hair a lot so I know at least something about red hair maintenance and just really wanted a darker, warmer version of what I had already. The stylist asked me to pick from their standard hair dye example book and so I pointed at a colour I thought was what I wanted and she got to work. She was distracted during the process talking to others in the salon. After she did another client's cut and style while I developed (which felt a little long to me) she shampooed me and sat me in the chair. She turned me away from the mirror, did a blow dry and started curling it, although I did prefer it straightened but she never asked. She turns me around and my hair is bright bright red. I tell her this isn't what I had in mind, it's too red. Too primary colour red and not natural looking at all. So she gets me in a different light in the salon and ask 2 other stylist's about it who say "it depends what she's going for". She asks me if I want to leave it a few days, wash it a few times and I said no lets try and fix it now, I know my hair soaks up colour easily (I mentioned this) so it won't fade that much at home. I've never not liked a colour before so I wasn't sure how to go about this without being a jerk. So she takes me to the back and says she'll tone it. I apologized about 5 times for being a pain but she brushed me off and said I wasn't being one. She toned it, her and another stylist blow dried it and straightened this time and turns me around and I feel like it's almost no different maybe a tad darker. I tell her it looks better because I feel like I'm in the way and being a pain (I had been in the salon an hour and a half at this point), I pay, tip a small amount for being annoying and go home. I've washed it 4 times in the last 2 days, even used purple toning shampoo so it didn't go orange and it just went even brighter red. Any toning she did disappeared. She also missed a spot right in the middle of my head on the hair line and another on my right temple.
Do I call her and tell her it still is too intense and she missed spots?
Or is it my fault it's this colour cause I picked it from the book, even though they did not turn out that way? Should I expect to pay for an entire new dye job when I go in?
Or do I just dye it an ashy brown to get rid of some of the red and call it a day?

I would definitely say it's the salons fault, you have paid and they haven't given you what you wanted, if they warned you before hand that it could take several attempts to get the shade you want then fine but by the sound of it they just haven't done it right. I would go back and demand they fix asap!

Why would it take several attempts?

Because the colourist doesn't know how to achieve this shade????

Options are-

Go back and have it re done for free- if it's not the shade you both picked this would be the standard procedure.

Don't go back and find someone who can get it right.

Go back and ask for a refund as you don't feel comfortable with their skill and would like to go elsewhere on the basis they didn't satisfy you in outcome and can't apply a colour.

It's the stylist fault, however you should not have tipped her. By doing this you are saying you were happy with service she had given, even though you tipped her because you felt you were 'being annoying'.

I would never tip someone who had clear not achieved what I wanted, and tbh I wouldn't of paid either!

All the salon manager will do is say you tipped her, so you must be happy with what she had done.

I would chalk it up to experience and find another salon as it's clear you and the stylist are not compatible.

Also never ever say you are being annoying, you have a right to be give a good service and this clearly not what has happened here.

I've never heard of that!

As a manager I certainly would judge the situation by how she was tipped.

Some clients do thing out of embarrassment sometimes.

I'm not say all managers would say this, but there is a chance in this case the manager could.

Latest posts

Back