My fibreglass application has gone to pot!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole Lindsay

Reaction score
Hey everyone, you'll find this kinda ironic when you consider that i tutored Talented Talons in how to do fibreglass!! My application used to look like hers but more recently its all gone pear shaped.

It seems to have happened since i started always using a stress strip ie. two layers of fibreglass. I feel that when i've finished all layers it isnt smooth and i have to file so much to get it even and there a little pits in it which i have to work really hard with whereas i used to just be able to "brush" the top of the resin with a 240 grit and it would come up beautifully. Ruth did advise me at one time to try doing a coat of resin between the fibreglass and stress strip but that takes so long coz it means i have to lay out twice. I'm using only one type of resin - do you think i'd be better off using a thinner brush on resin to do the soak in and then transfer? Do you think this is the problem? If possible can any advice be given in either generic terms or Star Nails products terms coz i dont use the Creative products!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated coz i'm fast losing my confidence in something that i used to consider i was great at!

Hi Carole.....I have to say that I too get in more of a mess when stress stripping!
I have found that the only way to get the results you seek IS to resin between the fibre layers. Lengthy yes, but it does seem to provide the needed evenness.
Do StarNails do different consistencies of resin? (only used it at college so dont know a lot about it sorry!)......it might be worth trying the thinner resin if they do, for saturating your fibre. Fabric# does enable you to do this easily and I have never really come unstuck with it.(ooops pardon the pun!)
Keep experimenting.....I do!

Jacky said:
Hi Carole.....I have to say that I too get in more of a mess when stress stripping!
I have found that the only way to get the results you seek IS to resin between the fibre layers. Lengthy yes, but it does seem to provide the needed evenness.
Do StarNails do different consistencies of resin? (only used it at college so dont know a lot about it sorry!)......it might be worth trying the thinner resin if they do, for saturating your fibre. Fabric# does enable you to do this easily and I have never really come unstuck with it.(ooops pardon the pun!)
Keep experimenting.....I do!
Hi Jacky: Star Nails do 3 types of resin so yes i can give it a go with the thinner resin. Do you think that this could be the reason i dont feel i'm getting evenness??

I'm going off to the wholesaler right now to get some thinner resin!!

Ruth is the best to ask really......but I used to find that using one resin viscosity was a nightmare. I found that I just could not wet the fibre enough. I also definitely think that applying resin between layers helps tremendously too.
I use Fabric# after trying tons of different Fibrglass ranges....Bank Manager was starting to get a bit cross! so I think he was glad I went for it!
If Star do different ones, then i guess it might be worth a go.....If its costly tho....why not opt for a trial Fab# kit.......thats how I got hooked and i dont think it costs a lot.
Good luck!

Jacky said:
Ruth is the best to ask really......but I used to find that using one resin viscosity was a nightmare. I found that I just could not wet the fibre enough. I also definitely think that applying resin between layers helps tremendously too.
I use Fabric# after trying tons of different Fibrglass ranges....Bank Manager was starting to get a bit cross! so I think he was glad I went for it!
If Star do different ones, then i guess it might be worth a go.....If its costly tho....why not opt for a trial Fab# kit.......thats how I got hooked and i dont think it costs a lot.
Good luck!
Thanx again Jacky. I doubt whether the brush on resin will be expensive so i'll give it a go. I've got a client tonight for a new nail so will try on her. I wasnt trained to put a layer of resin on the nail before fibreglass but do you think it would be beneficial to do that as well so it can absorb from both sides? It cant hurt can it?

Carole Lindsay said:
Hi Jacky: Star Nails do 3 types of resin so yes i can give it a go with the thinner resin. Do you think that this could be the reason i dont feel i'm getting evenness??

I'm going off to the wholesaler right now to get some thinner resin!!

Carole you need to use the wrapture gel I have talked about before (remember the email I sent) its better at giving the final seal over the nozzel resin - that's how I was taught by star, if you want I will send you the email again - and you must do resin inbetween the stress strip and the first wrap you do (check out your Star Nails manual it willbe in there) but becare not to over activate which will lead to the product becoming to dry and brittle ... htp hun..

Carole Lindsay said:
I wasnt trained to put a layer of resin on the nail before fibreglass but do you think it would be beneficial to do that as well so it can absorb from both sides? It cant hurt can it?

Your most welcome......
You know its funny that you werent told to put resin on the tipped nail first before fibre cus im sure that i was (?) (but dont hold me to that....im in me 40s now and my brain aint what it used to be!!!!!).....We used Star at my local college. However, I do think that you sometimes adapt your techniques as you get a bit confident and it is something I always do and always have done..... The one thing i was never told to do was to resin the natural nail before tip application and doing Fabric# thats something I always do now.

I hope you suss it......its hateful when little things put a spanner in yer workings.....ive been "down" and "up" more times than a blinkin yo-yo!!!!!
Good luck!

Another quick question: how long after the last activate should you leave it before you test to see if its dry? I think i might be being too impatient so keep spraying another coat of activator to speed it up!!

Carole Lindsay said:
Another quick question: how long after the last activate should you leave it before you test to see if its dry? I think i might be being too impatient so keep spraying another coat of activator to speed it up!!

Never re-spray (no matter how tempting) you will just dry the product out

I think you can tell visually whether it has set or not due to product losing its wet look...

I'd guess roughtly 60 - 120 seconds after spraying thats if you follow the manufacturers instructions and dont miss (lol) :o

Fab Freak said:
Never re-spray (no matter how tempting) you will just dry the product out

I think you can tell visually whether it has set or not due to product losing its wet look...

I'd guess roughtly 60 - 120 seconds after spraying thats if you follow the manufacturers instructions and dont miss (lol) :o
Cheers Lou: I'll let you know how i get on with the nail tonight!

Just wanted to give a big thanx to everyone who tried to help me today in my crisis!! You'll be pleased to know that i did a client tonight, used the thinner resin to soak the fibreglass then moved onto the thicker viscosity one in thin layers (if that makes sense) and i created beautiful nail like i used to!!! I can still do it - yippee!!!!!!!!!!

yep this makes perfect sense babe, nice you got the knack back lol..................
Well done xxxxxxxxxx

Well done!
Sometimes these things, Im sure, are sent to try us!
Glad you got it sussed!
:)

So glad you've cracked it again, it was really getting you down before and i know its depressing when iit happens.

Will email you later on as my client went well too and she tipped me.

Really happy for you hun, well done.:biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back