My first acrylic nail..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ris

Reaction score
.. since training.
It's been ages since I sculpted with L@P.
Was very jittery again - scared that somehow it wouldn't stick or harden or something else terrible would happen... Just like with gels when first on my own. :green:
But I want to offer both gels and acrylic now so I need to overcome these insecurities.

Looking for feedback, of course

ps) BTW I used a CND performance form for the first time for this one and liked it very much.

i have done my first client today with glitters had to at some point overcome my confidence issues, it went well, i think what you have done is brilliant, xx

Its quite difficult to really see the shape and outline of the enhancement in the photos but what I can see is the C Curve in my opinion is a bit to curved did you pinch it?
Also the apex seems to bit a little bit to far forward I would be a little worry about it breaking as it seems a little top heavy.

Well done for posting:hug:

Thank you, raya.

Its quite difficult to really see the shape and outline of the enhancement in the photos
I don't know why you say so.
To me photos bring out even more that you don't always spot right away when looking at real nails.

Also the apex seems to bit a little bit to far forward
Yes, I see the apex... It shows on both the first pic "en face" and on the second...
ps) also now I am not quite sure about the 'direction' of the nail..

Ok the pictures are nice but the angle of them doesn't show the over all shape of the nail clear enough.
A side on view would show the apex placement and a down the barrel (looking down the finger from the tip) would show the spine and thickness of the side walls.

For a proper critique you need to post a few pictures of many different angles this gives everyone that wants to critique a better idea of the over all nail.

A side on view would show the apex placement and a down the barrel...

If you look carefully you will see that the 'face' pic also shows the apex placement - look for where most of the light is ;).
(although partially it's also the angle of the nail at which it is inclined towards the camera)

Now, I am giving critique to myself :lol:

i too also thought that the apex looks slightly to far forward it looks as though to much product was applied in zone 2. the cuticle area looks nice and thin though and the sidewalls look straight.
i love the art work nice job.x

If you look carefully you will see that the 'face' pic also shows the apex placement - look for where most of the light is ;).
(although partially it's also the angle of the nail at which it is inclined towards the camera)

Now, I am giving critique to myself :lol:
Ok ris I give up:rolleyes:
I did look carefully and still stand by what I posted!

You dont really sound as though you want a critique unless its one you agree and if it isnt you argue with the poster.
So from now on I wont bother :irked:

You dont really sound as though you want a critique unless its one you agree and if it isnt you argue with the poster.
Hey, aren't you finding faults:
1) the pics are unclear,
2) and I haven't provided a whole bunch of them (though I haven't seen a single critique that has)
3) and finally I am all wrong :rolleyes:

I wanted critique on nails. Not on pictures or the way I take them or the way I answer. If it's really so difficult for you to see .. I hope you don't suspect me that I make you see something ;)

Thank you tracey louise,

The apex is off, that's true :confused:.
I'll have to adjust it.

(Didn't notice you post right away).

Hey, aren't you finding faults:
1) the pics are unclear,
I did not at any time say the pictures were unclear in fact I think you will see I said they were nice photos, I said the angle of them made it hard to see the over all shape of the nail.
2) and I haven't provided a whole bunch of them (though I haven't seen a single critique that has)
3) and finally I am all wrong :rolleyes:

I wanted critique on nails. Not on pictures or the way I take them or the way I answer. If it's really so difficult for you to see .. I hope you don't suspect me that I make you see something ;)

I did critique the nails if you look at my posts I did say that the C Curve was a little to curved and the apex was to far forward excuse me if I have got this wrong but isn't this critiquing the nails??:confused:

Not a bad nail for your first L+P in quite a while :)

I agree re needing more pics at different angles to give a full critique, however, I agree that your apex is too far forward and also there looks to be too much product in zone 1, it's quite thick.
Personally, I'd like to see a closer pic of zone 3 and also the sidewall finishing, it's not clear enough from the pics you've posted.

Look forward to seeing more.

I personally find it harder to critique a nail covered in nail art than i do a natural/french nail....it's distracting.
A side view would be better to see more of the shape of the nail. I agree about the apex placement making the overall look a little top heavy.

Not a bad nail for your first L+P in quite a while :)

I agree re needing more pics at different angles to give a full critique, however, I agree that your apex is too far forward and also there looks to be too much product in zone 1, it's quite thick.
Personally, I'd like to see a closer pic of zone 3 and also the sidewall finishing, it's not clear enough from the pics you've posted.

Look forward to seeing more.

I have to agree with Sandi about the sidewalls they dont look as refined as they should be, Also again as everyone else has said the apex placement is too far into zone 1, zone 1 is far too thick to be a balanced overall pleasing nail.(Very top heavy)
I also find that nails without art are easier to critique as if there are any flaws then they do stand out rather than being covered over with art to hide blemishes and inperfections.
Jen x

Maybe take off all the decoration, this would give us a much clearer view of the actual nail, I dont think it is easy to critique without seeing the naked sculpt.

To me I personally think the nails been sculpted too long and thats why the apex is too far up,but thats as a hazodorous guess,with the nail art on we cant see how long the natural nail was underneath.:rolleyes:

To me I personally think the nails been sculpted too long and thats why the apex is too far up,but thats as a hazodorous guess,with the nail art on we cant see how long the natural nail was underneath.:rolleyes:

Just because the nail is long doesn't mean the apex is automatically in the wrong place ... the apex is where you put it.

Yes the nail is heavy in zone 1& 2 which makes the transition between zone 2 and 3 a little too dramatic instead of a lovely symmetrical, gentle curve.

To me the apex of the nail should never be in zone 2 alone anyway, but down the centre of the entire enhancement forming a beautiful backbone of strength to the nail not to mention a beautiful C-curve as well. If technicians perfected the art of creating this back bone to the nail, they would have less breakages and a more beautiful, sleeker result.

Hey there, good job on posting your funky design. I have a minute so I thought I would pop in to highlight a couple areas that you could tweak that would make a huge difference in your work. I have to start by saying I'm with Klassy on this regarding the pics - the angles make it hard to give solid feedback - but here goes.

Your apex is sitting as a point between Zone 1 and 2 which is too far toward the free edge. Depending on the length of the enhancement, this is supposed to be the point where (usually) the apex would start tapering down to the free edge.

Remember that the apex isn't a point, its an area half way between the free edge and the eponychium. The longer the nail, the longer this 'zone' is. Most of Zone 2 should generally be your apex.

The other area that would really help make a difference is not found by looking at a side view of the enhancement, but rather down the c-curve. The c-curve should be crescent shaped: slightly thinner on the sides and slightly thicker in the middle. This 'middle' area we will call the vertical apex.

Your vertical grows wider the closer it gets to the free edge when in fact you want it to stay the same. Now this isn't easy to explain via typing, so I used the magic of windows default (and crappy) graphic program to try and highlight the area you want to focus on:

nail.jpg

The red area you want to thin down a bit. This is really evident in the c-curve. The C-Curve is thick and even instead of crescent shaped.

nailplanes.jpg

Consider this pic. The dark brown 'planes' are the thinnest when looking down the barrel of the nail. The reddish brown areas are a bit thicker and the red (the apex) would be the thickest part when looking down the barrel. The red part plane is the apex in both width and length (though in fairness I would make the apex just slightly 'longer' for this nail). The uncoloured areas are those that are tapering down to the free edge or eponychium.

HTHs.

Very clear explanation with the images.
Thank you, The Geek!

Meg

Thanks to all those who gave extensive constructive critique. :hug:
A good thread for reference :lol: in every respect.

A week has gone by. The nail is OK. Has not broken or chipped of lifted. So, certain well-meaning candid friends may eat their heart out.:confused:

I think I've figured out why the nail looks so top-heavy. It is because the natural nail is a bit 'pointed'. It's not quite straight. It's peaked - hope that's understandable. So there's really not so much material where the wrong apex is. Doesn't change the fact that it's still in the wrong place. I will work on it. ;)

ps) I must say this: I don't appreciate '1' for design and originality - that's a bit too obvious that the person who gave it wanted to get at me. Especially in light of recent threads about people not daring to post and so on.. And also because there so many nails in the critiques to compare with... I did that earlier. I won't do at the moment, but...
For you double standards rule - IMO. And you who rated only showed it. Don't just sit there smugly and think that it's a matter of taste - it's so obvious that it stinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back