My first client to "work" with

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planky1

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Had a phone call last night from a girl who has been having L&P for the past year from a salon down the road. She is going today to have them removed as she doesn't like them anymore and feels they are damaging her nails.

I said that that wasn't necessarily so, that if the technician she's been seeing was good at her job then her nails shouldn't be damaged at all but she said they definitely are.

She wants to come to me to try out Shellac and grow her own nails.

She said to me that her nails are paper thin and bendy and quite badly damaged and that she also has some health issues with her tummy that she feels is contributing to the condition of her nails.

I was honest with her on the phone about how I felt that Shellac wouldn't last a full 2 weeks with her as she is firstly used to the length and strength of the L&P and that it's also going to be likely to chip and peel if her nails are in that condition but that I would be happy to work with her and over time with regular manicure, solar oil etc we may be able to get them back into good shape.

She was adamant that she wants to try Shellac and said she is happy with what I said and understands that it may not last and still wants to come, so I've fit her in tonight.

Obviously I need to see the nails for myself and get some more information on her health but did I give the right advice? I will jot down on her consultation card that I have advised that she probably won't get a full 2 weeks out of the service and then get her to sign it.

This is the first time ever I've had a client where we will be working together like this, all other clients have been those have have great nails and come regularly for colour change or those for special occasions. I feel quite excited!! :)

Morning Planky1 :)
Great advice, quite exiting you have a new challenge, I don't do Shellac yet but would give that advice to someone having bio who would more then likely not benefit from the whole three weeks for some reason, as long as she knows it may take time before her nails will benefit fully from Shellac then it's up to her!
Good luck and let us have an update on how it goes x

i love it when you get the chance to show someone how great a product is that you believe in....just make sure you tell her to persevere!!even if it chips etc,

sometimes i soak one of my overlays off to sure new clients changing over the benefits of a product

good luck xx

Yes, I told her already that it will take time and may even not happen at all depending on her health issues and also said it may be that Shellac won't suit but she wants to try so yes, very excited :) It's nice to have the challenge as you say and really get my teeth stuck in so to speak, rather than just the usual colour change, will be really exciting to see if we can turn her nails into healthy strong nails together :)

Sounds like some make over pics may be required!

You have been very honest with her and she still wants to try, so it would be rude not to!
Seriously, you have allowed her to make an informed decision by being straight with her about the limitations she may experience and what to expect along the way.

Let us know what they were like and how she gets on.

Sounds like some make over pics may be required!

You have been very honest with her and she still wants to try, so it would be rude not to!
Seriously, you have allowed her to make an informed decision by being straight with her about the limitations she may experience and what to expect along the way.

Let us know what they were like and how she gets on.

I will do and I will most definitely be taking before and after pictures and more along the way. My little project :) Love it!

One of my regular clients had a similar situation. She had been somewhere else for "Shellac" which turned out te be L&P and it took forever to remove! Her nails weren't in the best condition before that so over 2 hours of trying to get the stuff off didn't help!

I filed her nails to a shorter length as the were thin and bendy, applied Hollywood and she managed to get a full 2 weeks out of them with just one minor chip! Since then she has used Solar Oil daily, had regular Shellac and now has lovely long, strong nails to be proud of. She even went nearly 4 weeks without one hip when she was away! So, you never know, the Shellac may last on your client too x

Sounds super exciting planky. I love it when i get clients in like this. Gives you a real sense of pride in your work and knowing that you've helped the client too is an amazing feeling.

My best friend had acrylics applied at a nss back in May 2011 for her sisters wedding. She did want Mr to do her shellac but I was too busy to fit her in. Anyway her nails were in a shocking state after the acrylics were removed. With the help of shellac and solar oil her nails are now in a really good condition. Due to her job she had to keep the quite short but i think they'd get lovely a long if given the chance.

I would make sure you definitely take photos and ask her how she feels about you using her images on your Facebook page etc to show others the benefits xx

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using SalonGeek

Hi. How did it go? I have exactly the same with a Gel client tonight but we had decided to file the bulk of gel off & Shellac over the top, so letting them grow out naturally. I'd be interested to hear your story as it may influence whether we stick to plan A or not!
X

Well it went well, her nails were quite damaged but not as bad as I thought they would be. They're now nice and short and I said for her to use solar oil daily which she purchased from me and we did Tropix with glitter fade tips and 2 TC's. Am hoping this will give just a little more protection but we spoke again that they may not last the full length of usual time. She said she'll have them done every week if necessary as she just wants her own nails to be nice and healthy. I took pictures and she's happy for me to use them on my site and FB page. So fingers crossed! I will update how she does :wink2:

I no it not ideal but if they chip a lot and she comes back every week (not that that's a bad thing for you lol) why not try using fibreglass on the nail as if you were doing a nail repair. Might add that extra bit of strength she needs whilst the damage grows out. Xxx

I no it not ideal but if they chip a lot and she comes back every week (not that that's a bad thing for you lol) why not try using fibreglass on the nail as if you were doing a nail repair. Might add that extra bit of strength she needs whilst the damage grows out. Xxx

Because I don't use it :lol: Her nails are so thin and bendy and so short now that I don't think her actual nail will break, more that it would peel perhaps and just the Shellac itself would chip. Looking forward to seeing how they last or don't as the case may be :)

Planky I have my first client to 'work' with coming on Monday, also with thin bendy nails (although I haven't seen them yet) I'm looking forward to hopefully helping her :) keep us updated hun.xx

I think you gave exactly the right advice and she will, I'm sure, appreciate your honesty.

I have 2 ladies (yes ex l&p) who have changed to Shellac and although their nails are ok, they do get a few chips and I'm certain this is because after years of living with the robustness of acrylic nails, they use their hands a certain way and are finding it difficult to change.

Good luck with your lady x

I think you gave exactly the right advice and she will, I'm sure, appreciate your honesty.

I have 2 ladies (yes ex l&p) who have changed to Shellac and although their nails are ok, they do get a few chips and I'm certain this is because after years of living with the robustness of acrylic nails, they use their hands a certain way and are finding it difficult to change.

Good luck with your lady x

Yes, I re-iterated this to her on Tuesday night, that she will more than likely be used to being quite heavy on her nails and that Shellac really is just like a polish so she'll need to be a little more careful.

Here's a before and after picture. As you can see, her nail plates have some damage and her free edge is virtually non existent compared to what she had before, so really hoping we can get these looking fabulous very soon. Her eponychium was virtually welded to her nail plate, just couldn't push it back at all, so did the best I could for the meantime, so please bare that in mind when looking at how I've applied the Shellac :wink2:
She had been having L&P for approximately 18 months and no attention was ever given to her cuticles, just infills and off she went each time.

So she was sent away from me armed with solar oil and instructions to apply as many times a day as she could remember to really try and get some hydration back into her nails and to help the nails to start repairing, as well as softening that eponychium so that hopefully on her next visit I can push back so it looks much neater. She chose these colours, not my favourite colour choice but she loved it so that's what counts ;)

Attachments

• DSCF1276.jpg
    DSCF1276.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF1277.jpg
    DSCF1277.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF1278.jpg
    DSCF1278.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCF1280.jpg
    DSCF1280.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I am a newbie, just started training and have been watching this thread. I think you have done a really good job and given good advice. Although the colour isn't your choice at least you know you have the done the best treatment for her nails and things can only improve under your guidance. Well done, I expect she was really pleased :D xx

I am a newbie, just started training and have been watching this thread. I think you have done a really good job and given good advice. Although the colour isn't your choice at least you know you have the done the best treatment for her nails and things can only improve under your guidance. Well done, I expect she was really pleased :D xx

Thank you :) Yes, these things take time and patience in some cases so I'm sure we'll get there and can't wait to post a photo later down the line of her long, strong beautiful nails :D (fingers crossed!) Hope you enjoy your training! :hug:

Good photos, it will be good for her to see them once they get to the goal condition too.

Have you got any CND Cuticle Eraser in to retail to her too? I love this stuff personally and sing the praises of it to anyone who will listen!

Good photos, it will be good for her to see them once they get to the goal condition too.

Have you got any CND Cuticle Eraser in to retail to her too? I love this stuff personally and sing the praises of it to anyone who will listen!

No I haven't but it was a job to get her to purchase the oil, she just wants me to do it, hence saying she'll come every week if she has to and will just throw money at them! Have explained that she needs to put some work in too, so at least she has the oil. It's a good start......if she uses it!

Latest posts

Back